Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 05:37 PM

223 posts, read 662,452 times

Advertisements

Saw this today:

Work to begin this fall on high-speed rail to St. Louis - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/07/work-to-begin-this-fall-on-high-speed-rail-to-st-louis.html - broken link)

And was wondering where exactly the Chicagoland stops will be? I'm guessing it would be the same Union Station and Joliet (possibly Summit) stops that are currently on the train line to Bloomington, though I was hoping that perhaps Naperville would somehow be worked into things, though I realize Naperville is not on the line that runs through Bloomington/Normal. Anyone have any more specifics? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 05:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
If Naperville is not on the line that runs through Bloomington/Normal how in the world could they make a stop in Naperville?

Old 07-20-2010, 05:47 PM

223 posts, read 662,452 times
Well - I honestly don't much about train lines and whether they connect in places but those aren't used today or if their project involves expanding existing ones... I obviously see your point, but I guess I was wondering if this was going to be some big extension of current lines, or some set-up where there would be buses running between Naperville and Joliet, not sure-- just surprised that there wouldn't be a stop located in the suburbs....

Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Try looking at these pages:

Fact Sheet: High Speed Intercity Passenger Rail Program: Chicago - St. Louis - Kansas City | The White House

Midwest High Speed Rail Association

Illinois Department of Transportation

Old 07-21-2010, 05:49 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
From the State Journal-Register:

High-speed rail work to begin in September - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register

Old 07-21-2010, 08:48 AM

148 posts, read 624,213 times
From what I've read, the high speed route will be pretty close to the current Amtrak route from St. Louis - Chicago. In fact, I think the plan is to upgrade much of the existing track to handle higher speed passenger trains. I know there's been much debate by numerous groups in Springfield as to which route the train should take. I think the first proposal was to have it go straight through the center of the city. Many groups are opposed to that.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:00 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scio42 View Post
From what I've read, the high speed route will be pretty close to the current Amtrak route from St. Louis - Chicago. In fact, I think the plan is to upgrade much of the existing track to handle higher speed passenger trains. I know there's been much debate by numerous groups in Springfield as to which route the train should take. I think the first proposal was to have it go straight through the center of the city. Many groups are opposed to that.

The debate in Springfield is between the official plan, which involves the train traveling on the current AMTRAK 3rd Street Corridor, or re-routing it to the less congested 10th Street Corridor, with the occasional errant commenter suggesting building a whole new set of train tracks in the median of I-55 (don't think this is under serious consideration). I'd say most people who live outside of Springfield support the 3rd St. plan, while there are a lot of people within the city that want the train moved to avoid noise and congestion.

As far as the route, it should be noted that the construction about the start is for upgrades to the rail line from Chicago to Saint Louis through Bloomington-Normal for speeds of up to 110 MPH. There is a longer-term plan in the works for 220 MPH, but this plan would use a different route from Chicago to Saint Louis, via Champaign, and then into Springfield, and not go through Bloomington, Pontiac, or Dwight.

With the 110 mph train, since speed is the goal, it will likely depart Union Station, and make a stop in Joliet. I doubt it will stop in Summit, Lemont, or Lockport, but a transfer to the METRA line can get you to any point in the suburbs along the two lines that go to Joliet. Additionally, if METRA completes the STAR line, it will be possible to transfer to get to Saint Louis from Naperville. The 220 MPH train planned to go through Champaign may stop in Homewood, but may actually go straight to Kankakee from Union Station- will not stop anywhere near Naperville.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:05 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,434 times
Well the line in question is the same one that hosts the Amtrak's Texas Eagle, and Lincoln Service trains. Also has METRA trains, under the name of "Heritage Corridor". So no, it doesn't go through Naperville. I'm not familiar with the plans, but i'd assume for suburban stops the trains will stop in Joliet and that's it.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:30 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
I understand most of the speedup work is going on downstate. I know that long term the plan is to move the trains out of downtown Springfield, which would speed it up, but make it harder to visit the Lincoln sites.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:47 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I know that long term the plan is to move the trains out of downtown Springfield, which would speed it up, but make it harder to visit the Lincoln sites.
Shouldn't be a deal-breaker. Springfield has city busses, if I remember right, and the post I quoted below mentioned its only likely to be moved 7 blocks. The Lincoln sites will still be within reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye
The debate in Springfield is between the official plan, which involves the train traveling on the current AMTRAK 3rd Street Corridor, or re-routing it to the less congested 10th Street Corridor...
I wonder if they're talking about moving to the busy Norfolk Southern RR line over by 10th Street? Or perhaps right alongside.... If they're sharing the line with freight trains, that's going to be an obstacle, since that line is MUCH busier than the existing route through downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois