Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 16,312 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm an incoming grad student at the University of Illinois. I'm relocating from Boston, and wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good local bank. Previously I used Citizens, a big national chain, but I didn't see any branches or ATMs in the Champaign-Urbana area and besides, I think you get better loan rates and better treatment at a smaller local place. Right now considering University of Illinois Employees Credit Union just because I will be a student, but I don't know anyone with experience using them. Primary concerns are good customer service, good loan rates (considering buying a house in the near future) and a bonus would be flexible CD (you can remove $$ without penalty). Oh, and free checking, but I think that's pretty common. Those are things I have found in a local Mass. coop bank and would like to find again. Thanks for any hints or reviews, good or bad! Or if you have a larger bank (with a presence in Champaign area) & have had good experiences with them, would love to hear that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Most of my family members down there carry accounts at Busey Bank.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:40 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,099,703 times
http://www.city-data.com/banks/banks...-Illinois.html

There is also a credit union associated with the university.
http://www.uiecu.org/ASP/home.asp

Last edited by linicx; 07-27-2010 at 09:01 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 08:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
And just to get a complete picture of who has bank branches where in the Chambana duometro, here's the list of Urbana bank locations:

http://www.city-data.com/banks/banks...-Illinois.html

Old 07-28-2010, 05:37 PM

316 posts, read 1,010,593 times
I had an account with Chase. I actually was a First Chicago customer, then a Bank One customer, and finally Chase through the various transitions. Its the bank I used when I was in C-U, I wanted something I could bank in physically while there, but I wouldn't have to get rid of when I left. Since I came in with a Chase account, it worked out great, I hadn't used the account much the few years prior, but started using it regularly again. I had a few friends who also banked with Chase and a few who banked with National City. First Chicago was better than Chase in terms of customer service and attention, Bank One was as well, but Chase was still good and the local branch was nice and provided good customer service of what I'd come to expect. I'd recommend either National City or Chase, but especially if you think you might not remain in C-U.

The people I know who banked with Busey were either from C-U or had also attended undergrad there. I had never heard of Busey before I was there.

As for the credit union, I know it, but don't know much about it, a few people I knew had it, and never heard any complaints, but don't think they got a loan through them. But in general, I'd say its a good idea to join if you are thinking about buying. Even if you go with another bank for regular use, you can still join the credit union. I didn't think about it while I was there or I would have joined it.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:21 PM

34 posts, read 127,428 times
1980 UIUC grad here

Don't know what the names of the local banks are in C-U these days, but considering the state of our economy and the fact that banks are being closed weekly, I recommend checking out all banks and credit unions at the following sites:

Bankrate.com Safe & Sound (tm): Bankrate free rating system for banks, thrifts, credit unions

Bank or Credit Union Star Ratings

Bank search | Investigative Reporting Workshop

You'll want a four- or five-star bank or credit union with a troubled asset ratio well below the national average.

Good luck! You will love the U of I campus!

Old 08-03-2010, 06:28 PM

260 posts, read 1,140,835 times
Busey was having some trouble due to their Florida subsidiary, but they should weather that all right. It's a good bank, I have an account with them.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:08 PM

164 posts, read 375,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Most of my family members down there carry accounts at Busey Bank.
Busey is the 800-lb gorilla of local banks, especially after the merger with BankIllinois. It used to be the largest bank in IL headquartered in IL (outside of Chicagoland), not sure of that's the case any more. I had an acct. there for years, moved to the St. Louis area, kept the Busey acct. active, though not primary. Lots of branches, I always had good experiences. They cater heavily toward university students (MANY students have accts. there). They charge a TON for wire transfers for the international students. U of I Credit Union is good, financed a few cars there.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,660 times
Central Illinois Bank is one of the biggest kept secrets in town. We offer promotions for students and Free accounts. There isn't anything we can't do. I highly recommend coming in to one of our branches because we offer everthing the big banks can but also get to know each of our customers personally if desired.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:25 AM

14 posts, read 26,528 times
2011 PHD grad, go Illini.

I used UIECU when I was there and still have an account. Worked well for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois