Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:40 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,347,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And also like the Peoria metro area, the Chicago metro area's population is barely growing today. Yet the sprawl continues...
I don't know...an increase in the MSA of ~ 400,000 people from 2000 to 2006 (~4.5%) seems like pretty nice growth for a metro of Chicago's size...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,119,245 times
I don't think the Peoria County "sprawled" into Tazewell County. Peoria is a very old city. The first bridge over the Illinois River to connect the two counties was buily in 1848.. By then the state capital had moved three times, the Tazwell County seat had moved three times, and the county was well established. Just because someone decided to roll Tazewell county in Peoria County and call it part of the PMA doesn't mean it holds water..The urban sprawl in Peoria is toward Dunlap because the other areas in Peoria are saturated, and many of them are old neighborhoods. West Peoria, Rolling Acres and The Knolls are some areas that come to mind. Much of the old money in Peoria is still around Prospect Avenue. The real question is, where will the money go when the old guard dies?

Right now the bigger concern is the economy, approaching depression, and who among us will survive it intact? .

Last edited by linicx; 03-06-2008 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-07-2008, 12:05 AM

11 posts, read 33,911 times
Want to get people to stay in Peoria?

Start demolishing old houses, by the neighborhood, and build new ones!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Why bother? Ir you want a new house, there's plenty of open space in the area where you can build one without the trouble of tearing one down first.

Believe it or not, some people like old houses. They often have charm, character, soul and attention to detail that is rarely replicated with modern housing.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,069,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I don't know...an increase in the MSA of ~ 400,000 people from 2000 to 2006 (~4.5%) seems like pretty nice growth for a metro of Chicago's size...
I was gonna say, Chicagoland has grown by almost 500,000 people from the year 2000 until now. Over 1,500,000 since 1990.

Peoria metro has grown by around 3,500-4,000 since 2000.

Not ripping on Peoria, but Chicago is seeing much higher amounts of sheet growth, and a higher growth rate as well...

Old 03-07-2008, 10:27 PM

296 posts, read 1,178,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I was gonna say, Chicagoland has grown by almost 500,000 people from the year 2000 until now. Over 1,500,000 since 1990.

Peoria metro has grown by around 3,500-4,000 since 2000.

Not ripping on Peoria, but Chicago is seeing much higher amounts of sheet growth, and a higher growth rate as well...
And half a million new people is a good thing? Keep that sprawl sprawling into oblivion.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:42 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,347,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfiend View Post
And half a million new people is a good thing? Keep that sprawl sprawling into oblivion.
This is a Catch-22 mentality:

If you're not growing, then you're area is stagnant, and you aren't getting an influx of new people to spur your economy...

If you are growing, you're contributing to the suburban sprawl...

Can't win for losing.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:05 AM

269 posts, read 1,095,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
This is a Catch-22 mentality:

If you're not growing, then you're area is stagnant, and you aren't getting an influx of new people to spur your economy...

If you are growing, you're contributing to the suburban sprawl...

Can't win for losing.

True. But there is a big difference between central Illinois sprawl and Chicagoland sprawl. Take for instance places like Bloomington. Bloomington is not, and I doubt ever will be, set up to be urban like Peoria. However, the local economy starts to take a nice upward swing, it has no choice but to sprawl to accomodate the growth. You cannot compare the suburbanization that we have in areas around Peoria to places around Chicago.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:29 PM

51 posts, read 144,090 times
[quote=BUalumni;2245610]How is Dunlap snobby or lost its great small town feel? Dunlap is one of the nicest and most welcoming places I have ever lived.

It's all relative and a class envy thing. I live in an area like Dunlap (E. Peoria, up on a bluff; fantastic view). The people here are nice and welcoming.

I could call an area like Grandview Dr. or Thousand Oaks "snobby", but they really aren't. I know better. Nice people exist there too.

I've also lived in poor areas and they're nice (most of them) also.

As for Dunlap "losing its small town appeal": I've only lived here 2 years, and basically Dunlap is still small towny to me. The problem is that people call Dunlap areas that are a good 10 miles from the actual town. Those areas include subdivisions and areas of McMansions, as well as areas where all you see for miles around are corn fields.

Dunlap itself IS a small town, very rural, and looks very quiet and nice. But I wish they wouldn't call areas 10 miles away from Dunlap, Dunlap. I also wish they wouldn't call Germantown Hills, Metamora. Metamora is another small town about 8 miles from Germantown Hills, and the mix up can be confusing.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:51 PM

296 posts, read 1,178,879 times
The Tri-County Planning Commission is trying to implement what's called "smart growth." Essentially, the concept of better scrutinizing development and ensuring that they will be self-supporting tax-wise for the long haul, and other concepts centered around more measured residential and commercial developments.

They are also looking closely at what they called "agricultural preservation" and environmental impacts of zoning and development in the county.

There is a Land Use Plan out that details the objectives. I think this is a good thing for Peoria, being progressive about its planning, while still keeping an eye on impact rather than just development for the sake of development.

There's nothing wrong with development per se, but when it spirals out of control without a solid plan in place, you often get areas that are not only ugly but ultimately detract from the quality of a place by overbuilding and not being connected meaningfully to their original communities.

I hope it pans out for the area in the next 20-30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois