U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:04 PM

269 posts, read 763,566 times

Advertisements

[quote=SixFive175;3162214]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
How is Dunlap snobby or lost its great small town feel? Dunlap is one of the nicest and most welcoming places I have ever lived.

It's all relative and a class envy thing. I live in an area like Dunlap (E. Peoria, up on a bluff; fantastic view). The people here are nice and welcoming.

I could call an area like Grandview Dr. or Thousand Oaks "snobby", but they really aren't. I know better. Nice people exist there too.

I've also lived in poor areas and they're nice (most of them) also.

As for Dunlap "losing its small town appeal": I've only lived here 2 years, and basically Dunlap is still small towny to me. The problem is that people call Dunlap areas that are a good 10 miles from the actual town. Those areas include subdivisions and areas of McMansions, as well as areas where all you see for miles around are corn fields.

Dunlap itself IS a small town, very rural, and looks very quiet and nice. But I wish they wouldn't call areas 10 miles away from Dunlap, Dunlap. I also wish they wouldn't call Germantown Hills, Metamora. Metamora is another small town about 8 miles from Germantown Hills, and the mix up can be confusing.

Hope that makes sense.
Good post! Like you said, there are nice people everywhere, just like there are snobs everywhere. I also agree that the whole Rt. 6 issue is a total "class envy" type of problem that is only going to get worse before it ever gets any bettter. But the town of Dunlap is not to blame for this, and I get tired of civic leaders acting like Dunlap is one big "snob fest." It's not! Of course we all know how all the new money pockets of Peoria like Weaver Ridge never talk about money, and that the millionaires that live on Grandview Drive next to the "castle" never speak a word about their wealthy investments. It is the upper, and upper middle class areas of Peoria that are turning this into an issue that is splitting the city into three distinct areas, instead of making River City more unified. Now that I live here, I can assure you that lifelong residents of this town couldn't care a less about the I-74 split in the city. I think it is far more "uppity" to ONLY live above War Memorial because it looks better to your peers, than to live in a farming town a good 20-30 minutes from downtown.

"But I wish they wouldn't call areas 10 miles away from Dunlap, Dunlap."

Exactly! Our town has grown nicely and is an excellent place to live. There seems to be this growing idea that the Dunlap area is made up of people that are all from Peoria. This not true, at least for the town. Maybe for the Alta and Edwards locations, but not for us. Both of my neighbors are from California, and the one across the street is fro Ohio. Dunlap is attracting residents that are new to the Peoria metro, not simply taking those that already live there. However, I do think that living around the Shoppes at Grand Prairie, and saying you live in Dunlap is pushing it to the limit. Most of those people have an Edwards address for goodness sake! I personally consider anything ABOVE Rt.6. to be solid Dunlap, even though many of them still have Peoria mailing adresses. Lake of the Woods has always been the largest subdivision in the area, and they have always went to Dunlap schools. Why should the newer ones along N. Allen Rd. be any different? The whole thing is strange and I'm sorry to here that it is happening in Tazewell and Woodford Counties too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 11:46 PM

4 posts, read 11,211 times
Part of Lake of the Woods folks attend IVC schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois