U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Where should I live?
Move to Springfield 4 14.81%
Move to Champaign 16 59.26%
Stay in Peoria 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:12 PM

5,463 posts, read 6,380,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukanuk View Post
Capital cities are notoriously bo-r-i-n-g.
Champaign-Urbana has the U of I and therefore LOTS of things to offer. One of my favorite places.
For sure.. Nashville TN., Austin TX., Madison WI., Atlanta GA., Little Rock AR., Raleigh NC., Indianapolis IN., Denver CO., Santa Fe NM., Salt Lake City UT., Boise ID., and Phoenix AZ., are really boring Painting with too broad a brush can result in some sloppy results-Aesop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM

110 posts, read 123,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Puffy View Post
If you are planning to move, I've lived and worked in both Springfield and C-U (currently reside in Champaign) so I'll offer a perspective (as a UIUC grad), first addressing grad school choices and a community comparison thereafter. UIUC has far more grad school programs than UIS. However, if you must work full-time while attending grad school, I would not discount UIS or ISU / Normal as options. UIS and ISU probably have a higher percentage of evening, weekend and part-time graduate school offerings than UIUC, which is important if you must work full-time. UIUC is starting to realize the importance of accommodating working students (i.e. a new PT MBA in C-U), but not to the extent UIS or ISU do. However, if you can work things out, a degree from UIUC will probably "open more doors" for a young professional. I enjoyed living in Springfield, but C-U is a more vibrant and far more culturally diverse community with more "things to do and places to go" by a large margin. Whether or not Springfield offers more for families is at best debatable albeit Springfield has a zoo and lake. C-U attracts Broadway caliber plays and concerts that won't even consider Springfield. Social life, no comparison. Downtown Champaign continues to enjoy a boom in growth with hundreds of condos added in the last 3 years. It has more offerings than downtown Springfield in terms of clubs, restaurants and entertainment venues. When the offerings located in and around the UIUC campus are added (which BTW are attracting an increasingly older crowd), simply no comparison. The U of I offers so many activities and entertainment venues for the C-U community at large beyond the excitement of B10 sporting events. As I’ve remitted in other posts, people “vote with their feet”. The preliminary Census results show that Champaign has added more residents than any community in IL south of I-80 between 2000 and 2010 (nearly 4 times greater than the growth of Springfield
I lived in Champaign for almost 20 years, from 1990-2009, huge changes in that time. I also worked in Springfield pt for 11 years. Springfield's downtown is much larger, and has much improved, but is still mostly a 9-5 environment, no surprise with the state office buildings/workers. The new museum/library has made things a little more hopping downtown, but restaurants and merchants are slow to figure this out. There are several neat older areas of Springfield, including two wealthy areas (Jerome and ???...escapes me). The growth, both retail and residential, is in the west side of Springfield and places like Chatham. Springfield has tons of chain restaurants and more than its fair share of derilect neighborhoods. Public schools are troubled in general. UIUC is certainly academically superior to ISU or UIS. Urbana has a very small downtown, some nice shops and restaurants, but a lower per capita income by far, and more rundown areas. Champaign's downtown is full of dining, martini bars, art theater, and yes, new condos (but not 100s, the two new condo buildings total about 50-60 condos, and there have been some loft rehabs north of downtown). These condos are from 200K to 400K. The area is vibrant, and mass transit very good. Many new booming areas and many historic, well-kept ones, but good luck finding something inexpensive there. Many independed, unique dining choices. Champaign is the winner hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois