Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,046 times

Advertisements

hi! I sold a home in macomb, IL on contract. The buyers want out of the contract because they claim the foundation is failing. Legally, I can sue them to remain in the contract or pay it off. But, besides the ugliness that would ensue I also know it is rare to actually receive the money you win, which still leaves me with a house. I am trying to convince them to sell it with me. I don't believe the foundation is bad. The house passed an insurance inspection in June except for the roof. I believe they just want me to let them out free and clear as they've asked me to do. But i'm worried. They at first said the foundation is failing and the house could be condemned because the mortar in the crawl space was crumbling. When I said that section was a poorly built addition they said the joists under the whole house were bad and that it's not sellable. I've had trouble with Macomb contractors taking advantage of me because I live so far away. Do I believe them? They own the house so I'm limited in what I can do, but my name is still on the title. In the 8 yrs I've owned it, it's been inspected twice plus 3 more times by insurance. No one ever said anything about the foundation. Help! Thank you to anyone who responds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 01:52 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
First I would call on someone not in the Macomb area to inspect it.

The Illinois Licensed Home Inspector that you hire works for you and provides a fully developed written report to you. Your inspection is NOT the same as the inspection on behalf of the buyers, nor is it the same for the banker. If you contact me I can recommend a home Inspector who is excellent, charges a reasonable fee for professional services, and works out of Galesburg.

I was living out of state and looking to move back to Illinois and hired this company to do a Home Inspection and a Mold Report for 3 houses I liked. Only ONE passed the tests; I bought it. The report included what is wrong with X, pictures of X, how X should look/act/or feel, and what corrective measures should be taken.

Last edited by linicx; 11-04-2010 at 09:29 AM..

Old 11-03-2010, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,018 times
I'm wondering if they were required to maintain upkeep on the house during the contract period. Did you state in the contract that they had to keep the gutters and downspouts in good repair? if they didn't do this they could be responsible, if there was no foundation trouble b/4 the sale. Was the crawlspace inspected along with the rest of the home for termite damage past or present. water and termites are a problem in Central Illinois. Was this house sold as-is. If it was I don't think they can get out of the deal. I suggest a real estate atty. you can pay a flat fee for a consultation.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:27 AM

Be careful what you ask for. Attorneys are not Licensed Home Inspectors. It is true that water and termites are a problem in Illinois. It is equally true in every other state, too, but neither one is going to cause a foundation to crumble. Cheap products and unqualitifed builders do.

Crumbling mortar? Knock it out and replace it with a good grade concrete. Weak joists? It is not unusual in an older house. The houise won't fall down. Shore it up with $20 jacks and add sections of three 2x10s bolted together. There is no mortar in a crawl space.

You have not mentioned anything to make me think your propperty should be, or could be, condemned. But, to be sure, you need to hire a LICENSED Illinois Home Inspector to take pictures, and then address specific concerns with you, before you consult any attorney. The attorney wants to see proof. Where is it?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:00 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,270 times
I went thru that nonsense when I lived in Wyoming. The local contractors all said, my house was going to fall down the hillside. I hired an engineering firm from Montana - who said exactly the opposite. I sold the house in 2000 and the new owners never have had any problems with the foundation or the soil shifting (quake zone). The house down the road and above us, supposedly on solid rock footing collapsed last year during a small quake (1.5), while my old home never budged.

Go out of the area and hire an engineering firm that does home inspections. For one thing home inspectors don't validate their findings the day after they do it. Engineers do if you follow their guidelines.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:23 PM

I disagree. My IL Licensed Home Inspecto/IL Licensed Mold and Radon Environmentalist takes pictures and validates everything and returns a complete writte inspection report. It is why I hired him three times before I bought a home. His father was a contractor. He built houses with his father through highschool and college and continued until his father retired. Is he a IL Licensed mechanical/structural/electrical Engineer? He only has a Masters.

Unlike my Licensed IL Engineer, the Inspector/Environmentalist does not charge $200 per hour travel time to and from his office nor does he charge $200 per hour for an inspection.

Both men will return a written report to the OP.

IL is not Wyoming. The OP is clearly stressed about expense. The Licensed HI is the best bang for his buck if he wants a clear picture and an honest assessment. I cannot speak for any other HI, but I've been on those inpections and they are amazing. Tney are nothing iike the bank inspections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
I went thru that nonsense when I lived in Wyoming. The local contractors all said, my house was going to fall down the hillside. I hired an engineering firm from Montana - who said exactly the opposite. I sold the house in 2000 and the new owners never have had any problems with the foundation or the soil shifting (quake zone). The house down the road and above us, supposedly on solid rock footing collapsed last year during a small quake (1.5), while my old home never budged.

Go out of the area and hire an engineering firm that does home inspections. For one thing home inspectors don't validate their findings the day after they do it. Engineers do if you follow their guidelines.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:17 AM

363 posts, read 1,043,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I disagree. My IL Licensed Home Inspecto/IL Licensed Mold and Radon Environmentalist takes pictures and validates everything and returns a complete writte inspection report. It is why I hired him three times before I bought a home. His father was a contractor. He built houses with his father through highschool and college and continued until his father retired. Is he a IL Licensed mechanical/structural/electrical Engineer? He only has a Masters.

Unlike my Licensed IL Engineer, the Inspector/Environmentalist does not charge $200 per hour travel time to and from his office nor does he charge $200 per hour for an inspection.

Both men will return a written report to the OP.

IL is not Wyoming. The OP is clearly stressed about expense. The Licensed HI is the best bang for his buck if he wants a clear picture and an honest assessment. I cannot speak for any other HI, but I've been on those inpections and they are amazing. Tney are nothing iike the bank inspections.
Then could I take your home inspector to court for failing to find faults in his reports? I think not. The engineering firm yes you can.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 7,201 times
Default @ linicx

"It is true that water and termites are a problem in Illinois. It is equally true in every other state, too, but neither one is going to cause a foundation to crumble. Cheap products and unqualitifed builders do."

Is this statement a joke? Neither termites nor water is going to cause a foundation to crumble? Please enlighten us as to the #1 enemy of buildings around the world, water, and its benevolent nature to things man made. Termites, obviously you've never bellied in a dank crawlspace and wondered if the home was going to fall on you after a termite infestation.

I've seen good foundations fail by qualified builders, and cheap products last with proper detailing and water management. Your statement is loose and erroneous and should be amended.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Really? I never saw a wooden foundation or termite infested concrete. But I have seen what termites can do to wood, basements that take on water, bats in attics and contractors that don't tar and back-plaster.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:44 PM

3 posts, read 7,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Really? I never saw a wooden foundation or termite infested concrete. But I have seen what termites can do to wood, basements that take on water, bats in attics and contractors that don't tar and back-plaster.
If you have seen basements that take on water why do you so smittenly state that water won't cause a foundation to crumble? I'm just poking holes in the comment and ask why it was stated, nothing more. We all know foundation damage is primarily a result of moisture in any form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois