Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,371 times

Advertisements

I will be driving to Seattle from Chicago next week. How far south do I have to go to avoid most of the snow and mountain passes?

Old 12-07-2010, 05:17 PM

818 posts, read 2,160,923 times
I don't think there is a way to go at this time of year that will avoid the snow and mountain passes. Driving to LA, you can follow the old route 66 route, which would mean taking 55 to 44 to 40 and crossing the mountains in New Mexico as opposed to Colorado. However, the southernmost road you can take without going ridiculously out of your way would be I-80. This is nowhere near far enough south to avoid perilous weather. I would suggest sticking to the interstates, as they are best prepared for inclement weather. Since you can't avoid the weather, you may as well just take I-90 and keep a close eye on the weather forecast before making your drive.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:23 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,109,392 times
My friend just moved back from Seattle to Illinois. He drove over 500 miles per day for five days and said it was foggy, snowy and slow going. It is unsafe to travel in the mpintains now until April.

I do not fly and I have driven many times to the west coast. I know about mountainsand snow. I would be going through Texas and into Albuquerque where I drop south and go into SoCal at Arizona and then go north into Seattle. Its the long way around; you add three davs drive and 1000 miles, but you arrive safely.

If you cross I=80 do buy 4 things item. 1-] A spiral bound, truckers atlas with plastic coated pages. 2-] a heavy duty flashlight and batteries, 3-] NOAA AC/DC Weather radio and fresh batteries. 4-] car charger for your cell phone. (I also have a CB radio, too.)

And don't forget a blanket, plenty of snacks and water. The experts say to take votive candles and matches in a clean metal can and take an empty quart jar; you never know when you will need it.

Good Luck.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,192,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
My friend just moved back from Seattle to Illinois. He drove over 500 miles per day for five days and said it was foggy, snowy and slow going. It is unsafe to travel in the mpintains now until April.

I do not fly and I have driven many times to the west coast. I know about mountainsand snow. I would be going through Texas and into Albuquerque where I drop south and go into SoCal at Arizona and then go north into Seattle. Its the long way around; you add three davs drive and 1000 miles, but you arrive safely.

If you cross I=80 do buy 4 things item. 1-] A spiral bound, truckers atlas with plastic coated pages. 2-] a heavy duty flashlight and batteries, 3-] NOAA AC/DC Weather radio and fresh batteries. 4-] car charger for your cell phone. (I also have a CB radio, too.)

And don't forget a blanket, plenty of snacks and water. The experts say to take votive candles and matches in a clean metal can and take an empty quart jar; you never know when you will need it.

Good Luck.
The problem with this route are the mountains in northern California on I-5. There are stretches where they require trucks to use chains. Better to build the extra 3 days into going via I-90 or I-80/I-84/I-82 and save the extra gas money and wear and tear on the car. All the luck of Mother Nature. May be smooth sailing, may have a storm to deal with.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:09 AM

What a mess! If this be the case then I agree 1000%. And thanks for added tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The problem with this route are the mountains in northern California on I-5. There are stretches where they require trucks to use chains. Better to build the extra 3 days into going via I-90 or I-80/I-84/I-82 and save the extra gas money and wear and tear on the car. All the luck of Mother Nature. May be smooth sailing, may have a storm to deal with.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:20 PM

5,398 posts, read 8,080,307 times
With all due respect, pay little attention to linicx’s advice. Do not travel a thousand miles out of your way. Driving to Seattle in 2010 is not the same as traversing the Donner Pass in a covered wagon in 1846.

I live in a mountain town in Eastern Oregon. It’s located on I-84. You will drive by it if you take the I-80 west route. I drive through the mountains on the Interstates all winter long so I know what I am talking about.

Just as in the Midwest, every so often there are snow storms in the West. This can temporarily affect travel on the Interstates. But since they are Interstates, plowing and sanding begins immediately. Sometimes you have to slow down. On rare occasions, especially if you don’t want to put on traction devices, you might have to stop for a few hours or a night. If this happens to you and you end up stopping in Baker City, Oregon, I will buy you a cup of coffee.

But most of the time in the winter travel to the West on the Interstates is completely normal. Tens of thousands of vehicles do it every day without problems.

With the Internet and things like the Weather Channel on cable TV, weather information is readily available. Just before you leave, check the weather on the possible routes that you have selected and take the best one.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:05 AM

Excuse me. Everything I've read and everyone I ever talked to - which included long haul drivers and LEOs - say the same thing. Stay out of the mountains between the first snow and mid-April. Anyone who goes into the Rockies in the Winter with no emergency equipment is foolish. Snow isn't the problem nearly as much as it is the gale force wind that come out of nowhere and the ever threat of the avalanch. Note: the narrow, steep two-lane road into LV is an education.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,629,167 times
I'd still go prepared. The northern routes bring you through some really quiet territory (even on the interstate) so leave extra time for potential weather problems or possible car problems. We did a combination of the I-80 and I-90 route this summer, and while many parts are very beautiful, it was also very desolate. Obviously people do it all the time without problems, but you'll be covering some rough territory and cold weather, so be prepared for the worst, just in case.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:43 AM

The beauty of the mountains is not only the snow covered peaks and magnificent sunrise, it is also the miles and miles of isolation. I love it! If you're lucky you see the eagles soar or the outline of one of the mountain animals in the distance. Mostly you won't see much but barren mountainsides, tree tops and pavement.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:55 AM

818 posts, read 2,160,923 times
The desolation means, though, that if there is a major snow or ice storm, they will close off the road. On I--90 I believe anywhere west of Albert Lea can be closed, and on I-80 anything west of Lincoln. Anytime you drive west on those roads, you will notice barriers at on-ramps that can be moved to prevent people from entering the highway, and lights that flash when the road is closed meaning you must exit in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois