Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 PM

7 posts, read 50,268 times

Advertisements

I was born in Mt. Vernon. Sorry to hear about its sad shape. You know, though, violence is growing everywhere. And a lot of it is our fault; we have indulged our children, and our children's children too much, and consequently, have raised too many narcisistic (sp) children who have lost the ability to empathize. But there's still a lot of great ones out there.

Mt. Vernon used to be "relatively" safe. But then, I was a child; what did I know? LOL Everything was innocent then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,963 times
Wink What is Mt. Vernon like?

Mt. Vernon is a great town to live and work, please don't let some negative comments turn you away from a great community. We have our poorer section of town much like any other community in the United States. As far as crime, every town has crime no community can get away from that fact.

Much has been done to clean up the low income area of the city, thereby improving Mt. Vernon's overall look. There is a revitalizaton of our downtown area and a new interchange coming to the I57/I64 Interstate, which can only improve and encourage new business to our area.

The education system is good and works hand in hand with Rend Lake College to proivde dual credit classes for our high school students...what a deal. As well as one major employer 'Continental Tire North America' offers free college education to their employees and their familes...as well as their paycheck, insurance; etc. You don't find those opportunities from most employers across the county.

There is a lot of good in Mt. Vernon with a lot more to come!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have the time come visit and draw your own conclusions.
Have a gareat day

Old 03-13-2008, 10:02 AM

287 posts, read 350,660 times
This thread is 1 year, 2 months old.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,538 times
ima 16 yr old gurl who was born in raised i guess in the ( ghetto ) of mt.vernon on south 18th and south 24th . to me mt.vernon is a small broke little city dat is slowly growin. yeh it has problems on the wrong side of town but if thats where u grew up get use 2 it. if u dont wanna be round dat. dont go into southtown. i dont see why some of you guys think mt.vernon is a good place cuz its not. its filled with drama . i wudnt suggest movin here . my life has been miserable tryn 2 grow up here these past 3 yrs and im trying 2 get out of mt.vernon at 16 on my own. wish me luck plz.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:41 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeteedat618gurl View Post
ima 16 yr old gurl who was born in raised i guess in the ( ghetto ) of mt.vernon on south 18th and south 24th . to me mt.vernon is a small broke little city dat is slowly growin. yeh it has problems on the wrong side of town but if thats where u grew up get use 2 it. if u dont wanna be round dat. dont go into southtown. i dont see why some of you guys think mt.vernon is a good place cuz its not. its filled with drama . i wudnt suggest movin here . my life has been miserable tryn 2 grow up here these past 3 yrs and im trying 2 get out of mt.vernon at 16 on my own. wish me luck plz.

Slowly growing is a huge understatement. It's grown .2% (thats two-tenths of 1 percent) in 8 years. And that's probably the first uptick its seen in years. Marion is where it's at now. Mt Vernon is like the town that could have been Marion but never went over the hump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois