U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:42 AM

23 posts, read 126,557 times

Advertisements

Hello, can anyone help me...
I love the sound of Mount Vernon, IL and I want to find out more about it, so please can you give me some info about the town, Thanks, Leelee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 10,116 times
Default About Mount Vernon, IL

My fav place on Earth, but being born and raised there, I'm biased. There is a good lil website if you google Mt. Vernon, IL Cty Homepage...I live in PA, but, in ten yrs am goin' to retire to my hometown. Cost of living is lower there than in a lot of "popular" retirement spots. There are about 18-20,000 people within one mile of the City, and it is growing fairly widely east and west having about 26 sq. miles, a lot of park acreage, w/ lakes, and some of the most beautiful trees you'll ever see. Two high schools, one about 1600 students, a small parochial at about 125 or so. Good streets, and a general effort to clean up the inevitable deteioration a 200 yr old city begins to accumulate over the decades. A lot of civic pride in its people, its accomplishments, its sport teams, and the favt that the city survived a general depression in Southern Illinois from about 1929 through 1970. Jr. college campus south of the city w/ branch in town, has about 3000 students, a big beautiful lake to the immediate south of the city( about 135 miles of shoreline and beaches), great golfing , camping, swimming in season, and a new effort to finish a 60 mile long city to country system of bicycle trails. New facilities for retirees being built, but, if I'm able, I' ll stay in the family's home where I grew up. Available scheduled airline service is a 30 min drive and not in heavy traffic. Good ingress/egress at two interchanges to I-64(east-west) and I-57(north-south) and a third being built on west side of town on I57. Great museum exhibitions and programs at Cedarhurst with a huge expansion being started this Fall. Theater is just being born in MTV and there is a growing interest in putting one of the older movie theaters to use downtown as a performing arts ce nter. I could go on forever, but you might want to see the website, read some, and , if you have any more specifics, I'd happily give you my.....ahem...unbiased opinion. I really do have some criticisms, but in all honesty, they pale to the merit of the reasons I plan to retire there. Good Luck, and I. too, love the sound of Mount Vernon, Illinois...

Old 11-01-2006, 04:43 PM

285 posts, read 770,138 times
Mt Vernon is a decent small town of about 17,000 but does have a rough part (ghetto) where people get their cars jacked and things. Other than that, its an ok town.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:38 PM

11 posts, read 66,785 times
I have lived most of my 72 years in or near Mt Vernon. Population growth has been almost at a standstill for the last 40 years It's a small town that has a couple of big employers and a load of no pay jobs. Burger doodle's and motels cluster the Interstate 57/64 junction. School system is antiquated with the threat of building a new school in the near future several citizens are worried that the new school will be a millstone around the poor taxpayers neck like the new jail that was built recently and is now causing great hardships to the county. Drug problems and violance abound with the local police unable to get a handle on the problem. Murder rate above average for the size of the town. City Manager just accused of sexual advances to city employees and has resigned. Don't try and walk some of the streets at night unless you are well versed in self defense. Sorry I can't paint a better picture.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:13 AM

285 posts, read 770,138 times
And wow "favorite place on Earth." Makes you wonder if they've ever left Jefferson County

Old 11-08-2006, 06:51 PM

11 posts, read 66,785 times
Juice, I was thinkin' the exact same thing !

Old 12-31-2006, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,331 times
Default Real estate agents?

Anyone know of any good multi-family or commercial real estate agents in Mount Vernon?

Thanks!

Marvin

Old 01-23-2007, 09:41 PM

8 posts, read 30,328 times
Lincoln Douglas debates were held in Mt. Vernon, Ill and the Cedarhurst Museum is great.
Rusjc60

Old 01-24-2007, 05:10 PM

393 posts, read 1,249,563 times
Default Illinois debates

There were 7 public Lincoln-Douglas debates in Illinois, none were in Mt. Vernon.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:54 PM

7 posts, read 36,880 times
Some were in Peoria - Lincoln/Douglas debates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois