Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 AM

4 posts, read 18,731 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am in the military and currently stationed down in Alabama. I am getting out and taking a civilian job on Scott AFB.

We have already put an offer on a house and will be closing soon but we talked a friend recently and found that when it comes to crime there are good parts of Fairview Heights and bad.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight of Fairview Heights. The house we are buying is located right there around Longacre Park in Bountiful Heights. I am trying to find out if this was a good move or if I am going to regret it. From what we saw off hand was that the location seemed just right as we are half way from the base and St Louis and with having kids seeing the signs around the neighborhood warning that kids were playing was a nice touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 03:10 PM

66 posts, read 260,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basilio View Post
Hello, I am in the military and currently stationed down in Alabama. I am getting out and taking a civilian job on Scott AFB.

We have already put an offer on a house and will be closing soon but we talked a friend recently and found that when it comes to crime there are good parts of Fairview Heights and bad.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight of Fairview Heights. The house we are buying is located right there around Longacre Park in Bountiful Heights. I am trying to find out if this was a good move or if I am going to regret it. From what we saw off hand was that the location seemed just right as we are half way from the base and St Louis and with having kids seeing the signs around the neighborhood warning that kids were playing was a nice touch.
Live in Shiloh. Closer to the base and SAFER!

Old 07-24-2007, 06:19 PM

32 posts, read 639,077 times
Basilio, I haven't heard of any 'bad' areas in Fairview Heights. We live in O'Fallon (hubby retired from the AF 2 years ago) and are in that area all the time. In fact, we were at Longacre just a week or so ago and I've never had any qualms about being there with the kiddos after dark.

I'll talk to hubby though and see if he's aware of any 'bad' sections in Fairview.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:41 PM

285 posts, read 1,064,606 times
I live in Fairview Heights and there is no such thing as a bad area. There are bad areas in Belleville, but O'Fallon, Fairview Heights, Shiloh, New Baden, Collinsville are all generally safe places. If you use city-data.com to look at crime stats, the crime rate is very low.

The response "Move to Shiloh, ITS SAFER!" was an incredibly stupid response. They are both safe cities and Fairview is only a few points higher than the US average. I live in an all black neighborhood of nothing but $100-250,000 homes.

Also, anywhere in Fairview heights you are 10 minutes or less from everything; several grocery stores, huge mall, other strip malls, etc...And on top of that it is only a 15 minute drive to downtown St. Louis.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:42 PM

285 posts, read 1,064,606 times
And "CLOSerR TO thE BaSE" .. ugh..vomit.

It is literally 2-3 minutes closer. Not miles, but minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois