Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:39 PM

5 posts, read 18,282 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I'm a student from Belarus and i'm going to paticipate in Work and Travel program. Please give me any tips connected with job seeking in your state! What web-sites do you can reccomend for this target?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
The first thing you should do is read the US immigration laws as it has changed.

The Illinois economy is not good. STay home and stay in school.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:46 AM

I will work on a J1 visa. it's legal.
Hmm, i thought US has strong economy
However, could you give any more useful advices?

Old 02-08-2011, 02:14 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groz View Post
I will work on a J1 visa. it's legal.
Hmm, i thought US has strong economy
However, could you give any more useful advices?
We have many out of work here.

Try to contact someone in the Belarus community in Chicago.

http://www.belarusian.bankloca.com/41675.html

http://chicagobelarus.com/forum.php

Old 02-08-2011, 02:33 PM

Yeah, thanks! )

But belarusian community isn't very big and active .

i know one site for this aim: J1 Jobs

Do you know any more?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:31 PM

I don't think you quite understand the system here, yet. You need a student Visa, medical records a sponsor, a place to live and enough money to cover your basic expenses for the length of time you are in America. You have zero guarantee you will be hired. Why? Unemployed Americans are hired first followed by under-employed Americans, adult America work programs, adult legal immigrants, student work programs and not illegal aliens.

For every 50 jobs offered there are 500-5000 applicants depending upon the job and area of the US where you plan to live. There are Americans with collegs degrees that cannot find a job..

The US enconomy as a whole is not terribly good. You are a young, a student and you have no verifiable work experience in the US. Generally speaking the majority of immigrants accepted that come to the US today have Master's or Doctorate degrees.

Stay in school and get an education while you are young. Do not pin your hopes on rumors. I'm terribly sorry our only Belaruse community does not meet your expectations, but it is what it is.

Last edited by linicx; 02-09-2011 at 05:15 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 02:27 PM

well... i'm looking for summer job! only summer job! and i'll be back to my native country by autumn thanks for you are worry about me, but it will be only trip with big fun, i wonder see your country and i like USA! summer job let me earn something about 3000$... in Belarus it's good money of course i'll continue studying in belarus
however, do you can help with finding job offer in USA?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 PM

413 posts, read 938,172 times
I think you're still missing the point: there are no jobs here. No one is hiring. Even just for the summer. My husband's been looking for a job for 6 months. We're surviving on the money I make, which is less than $9,000 a year. The days of coming to America to get rich are LONG gone.

Last edited by Newtgirl; 02-11-2011 at 04:33 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groz View Post
well... i'm looking for summer job! only summer job! and i'll be back to my native country by autumn thanks for you are worry about me, but it will be only trip with big fun, i wonder see your country and i like USA! summer job let me earn something about 3000$... in Belarus it's good money of course i'll continue studying in belarus
however, do you can help with finding job offer in USA?
Definitely come here to experience America. But do not come if it is something that will really stress you out. You can probably get a retail job in the city (maybe in a Belarusian area) and make $3000 for the summer. But I would not make the journey until employment is secured. Welcome to America!

Old 02-12-2011, 12:15 PM

Ignorance and ecomics are lifes little lessons. NO ONE but YOU can help YOU find a job. If I find a job for you and I want it. I am going to take it. End of story.

Chicago is 90 square miles. You can look forward to walking a lot of streets in oppresive heat, riding a lot of buses, and filling out a lot of applications and still NOT find a job. When you go home you can explain American economics to the friends.

A smart kid your age would stay home and stay in school until the econmy recovers - which won't be for some time. The smart kid that stayed in school would be able to save money and offer an employer more than someone with no education. A smart kid will be on these forum studying Chicago and learning the streets, learning the bus and train routes, learning the dangerous areas, and learning about the cost of living in Chicago. A smart kid would be prepared to land at the busiest airport in the world. A smart kid will already know a a cab will cost him at least $200 to get to the Loop. A smart kid will know he's walking into a city of 10 million people. (The last time I checked city cabs the base price was $5 a quarter mile.)

More importantly, a smart kid know when to listen to the voice of reason. And a really smart kid would take the hand that was offered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois