U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 PM

15 posts, read 78,420 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to IL (DuPage County) from TX for a new job. My car is tinted (all 4 passenger door windows and rear window). I bought my car used several years ago, and it was already tinted, so I have no idea what level of tint was used.

TX has slightly more relaxed tint laws than IL, so I'm concerned that the tint level may be higher than that allowed in IL. However, as I'm not the original owner who tinted the car, I do not know this.

As I'm moving to start a new job, money is extremely tight, so I can neither afford to remove the tint at this time nor pay for a citation. Assuming tint removal is somewhat affordable, I could probably afford it after working for a month. My rear window has the radio and rear defroster integrated and I don't want them damaged during tint removal (if it's even necessary).

Hopefully the cops wouldn't cite an out of state car for tint??

Moving is stressful, and auto tint is the last thing I want to worry about. Do I need to get this addressed before moving, or can I address it after moving while I still have out of state plates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 10:45 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,912,092 times
Cops want to see inside the vehicle from the outside with a flashlight. I trust you have power windoews. If you are stopped roll down all four windows to prove you are not hiding anything. And do not get caught with drugs or someone with/doing drugs in your vehicle. <--> It is a one-way ticket to your worst nightmare.

Il IS A NO SMOKING STATE: This means do not smoke within 15' of any public building or anywhere No Smoking signs are clearly posted.
ILLINOIS IS A NO CARRY STATE. <--> If you intend to bring firearms in Illinois special rules for transportation apply to all rifles, shotguns, handguns and ammo. Different rules apply if your are a licensed LEO and working in Illinois.

No cell in construction zones.
New Law! No cell/text 7-4 in all Illinois school zones during school year excepting holidays and when school is officially closed for weather or other event. (Personally I would not do it at night, either, if there is a scheduled event.) $150 first fine. $500 second fine plus you lose your license for a year.
Scott's Law! Simply put, do not pass in a lane next to a stopped emergency vehicle at any time for any reason. If you cannot safely merge into another lane, then pull off the road and wait until it is safe to merge. The fine can be excessive. Note: Emergency vehicles must be stopped. Emergency vehical lights do NOT have to be engaged. The same rule applies. Don't do it.

Chicago roads (4-10 lanes) carry 10M cars. Some routes are free; some are not. If you are going to be on toll roads very often be sure to buy a Pass; it's cheaper. Your IL plates and drivers license will cost about $125 the first 30 days and increases thereafter. I did not. It cost me $200 just for the vehicle plates . You will need your pink slip/title to prove ownership, utility bill to your new Illinois address and perhaps some other form of ID. You can get the plates and license in any county. Do pick up a copy of the ILLINOIS RULES OF THE ROAD and read it. If you are an experienced driver you will find most of our laws are about obeying the speed limit, using common sense and being alert when you are behind the wheel.

Congrats on your new job; good luck; and welcome to Illinois! If you bave other questions just ask.

Last edited by linicx; 04-06-2012 at 08:10 AM..

Old 02-10-2011, 08:31 PM

3,753 posts, read 9,838,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownnoob View Post
I will be moving to IL (DuPage County) from TX for a new job. My car is tinted (all 4 passenger door windows and rear window). I bought my car used several years ago, and it was already tinted, so I have no idea what level of tint was used.

TX has slightly more relaxed tint laws than IL, so I'm concerned that the tint level may be higher than that allowed in IL. However, as I'm not the original owner who tinted the car, I do not know this.

As I'm moving to start a new job, money is extremely tight, so I can neither afford to remove the tint at this time nor pay for a citation. Assuming tint removal is somewhat affordable, I could probably afford it after working for a month. My rear window has the radio and rear defroster integrated and I don't want them damaged during tint removal (if it's even necessary).

Hopefully the cops wouldn't cite an out of state car for tint??

Moving is stressful, and auto tint is the last thing I want to worry about. Do I need to get this addressed before moving, or can I address it after moving while I still have out of state plates?
Simply remove the tint from the driver's and passenger's windows. Back seat and rear window tint should be OK. You can do it yourself quite easily.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:32 PM

588 posts, read 1,541,203 times
IL changed the tint laws in 2011. Still no front windshield can be tinted. Front windows can now be 30% or something like that. I have to relook it up, I'm a Police Officer, but tint was never really a big reason I pulled someone over. But with the tint change law, we would have to now measure the side windows with a Tint Meter to see if you are in compliance. First off 9/10 PD's don't have the Meters, second, what a waste of my time. As long as the car is still registered and legal in Texas, then no you can't be ticketed for it. But once you relocate up here, change your DL and plates to IL, then yes you must comply.

But here is my main reason for saying get rid of the fronts, and that's for safety. It's hard enough to see out your windows when they are all salt covered, etc. Tint just makes it tougher to see left and right. It's not that sunny here and not that hot that you need it for cooling reasons. Around here it can be dark and your windows get grimy from rain, so do it for your own visibility.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:52 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,350,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
IL changed the tint laws in 2011. Still no front windshield can be tinted. Front windows can now be 30% or something like that. I have to relook it up, I'm a Police Officer, but tint was never really a big reason I pulled someone over. But with the tint change law, we would have to now measure the side windows with a Tint Meter to see if you are in compliance. First off 9/10 PD's don't have the Meters, second, what a waste of my time. As long as the car is still registered and legal in Texas, then no you can't be ticketed for it. But once you relocate up here, change your DL and plates to IL, then yes you must comply.

But here is my main reason for saying get rid of the fronts, and that's for safety. It's hard enough to see out your windows when they are all salt covered, etc. Tint just makes it tougher to see left and right. It's not that sunny here and not that hot that you need it for cooling reasons. Around here it can be dark and your windows get grimy from rain, so do it for your own visibility.
I always wondered why I see so many cars where you can't see the driver through the window tint. I guess this explains it, the cops don't particularly care.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:05 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,630,755 times
I always see cars with tinted windows around here...never knew there were legal issues until recently.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I always wondered why I see so many cars where you can't see the driver through the window tint. I guess this explains it, the cops don't particularly care.
It's not that we don't care, but what can we really do? I can stop and ticket someone for it, that's all I can do. I can't make them scrape it off in front of me. If a person doesn't want to comply, then they don't. The Judge will just slap them on the wrist, then it's rinse and repeat. Same goes for load mufflers and other equipment violations. Now don't get me wrong, the hair does go up a bit more when I stop a car with heavy tint. Few people will understand quite what it's like to stop a strange car all tinted out at 3 am. Now if it's full of Bangers it becomes that much more interesting.

I highly encourage anyone that can do a ride along at their local PD to do one, and do it late at night. Whether you are pro-Police or believe the Police are corrupt, once you do a ride along, it'll give you a fresh perspective. I guarantee you it's very easy to Monday morning QB a cop's decision you might read in the paper. But to be out there and to witness up close some of the things we deal with, you'll have a new understanding of Society. I often tell my ride alongs "if you were behind the wheel, what cars would you pull over". It's funny I usually do 1-2 stops a night, if I listened to my ride along it would be 50. Lol.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:22 PM

4 posts, read 55,882 times
Tint up to 35% is legal on all windows, if your rear windows have less than 35% i do not think you are allowed any tint up front

Old 02-25-2011, 01:06 PM
SD3

2 posts, read 51,730 times
Default Illinois tint laws....

The Illinois state law, as of November, 2009, says that if you have 35% or lighter in the rear windows, then you can go down to 35% tint in the front windows.
If your rear windows are 30% or darker, then you can only go down to 50% on your front windows.
There is a +/- 5% to account for variances in tint measuring devices.

The frustrating part for us has been that police officers in Illinois that try to enforce the 'law' without actually knowing the law.
I don't expect officers to know everything, but if they are going to harrass people for a law they don't even know, then that is an huge concern.

Case in point - my Wife received a ticket in Naperville (Dupage County) for tinted windows and received a $75 fine in May, 2010.
This was the only reason she was pulled over and the only violation she received.
The tinting instrument measured 33% on all 4 windows, which is within the limitations in variances under Illinois State Law.
We fought it and won, but the fact that we had to take time off work to fight it was frustrating, not to mention that the judge acted like it was a big waste of his time.
I agree - some officers need to learn the law on their own time and stop wasting other people's time.

I heard a story on NBC 5 last night that the City of Chicago now refuses to abide by these new tinting guidelines under Illinois State Laws and will continue to give $250 tickets for any front tint.
This is 1000 % unconstitutional. Chicago cannot operate as its own state and override the laws from Springfield.

Regardless of whether your care about window tinting laws, or not, your rights are being violated and the only way around it is to start voting out these crooked judges and state officials in Chicago. What will be next?

Wake up, Chicago! The rest of the state gets it!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:16 PM

That's Naperville for you.... I will never bad mouth other Police Departments, but among other Officers, Naperville is viewed as "different".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois