Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:17 PM

33 posts, read 113,652 times

Advertisements

This is a very bad idea, it will let burglars know whether or not someone has a gun. If your not on the list, they have a green light to break into your house without fear. If you are, they just watch you and wait for the place to be empty so they can steal guns for themselves or the black market.

Don't blame me, I voted for Bill Brady!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,285,066 times
yeah, unbelievable. They are fighting it in the courts from what I just heard.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 PM

588 posts, read 1,790,937 times
Are you able to post a link to a story, I can't find it and I'm curious to read it. What source would they be using to compile this list? Since guns don't have to be registered in IL and private sales are allowed, where would this info be gotten from?

Edit: I found the article. It has to do with those that possess a FOID, has nothing to do if anyone actually owns a gun or not. Wonder why the AP FOIA'ed this info to begin with. I love how the media wants to poke into our lives, yet they want to operate without any opposition.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/n...,5052532.story

Last edited by ofcjim40; 03-01-2011 at 10:10 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,300,345 times
Lisa Madigan needs to be voted out of office and she should never get elected to any office again.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 AM

3,381 posts, read 3,304,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Lisa Madigan needs to be voted out of office and she should never get elected to any office again.
Completely second that. I don't own a gun, but it should be none of the business of Lisa Madigan to intervene in releasing info that is supposed to be held confidentially by the IL State Police. Sad Madigan would want to do that, since it makes me not want to vote for her in 2014. And I used to like her, up till just reading this now.....

Old 03-02-2011, 08:49 AM

245 posts, read 694,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
What source would they be using to compile this list? Since guns don't have to be registered in IL and private sales are allowed, where would this info be gotten from?
It isn't a list of guns but rather a list of who in Illinois has a firearm ID. It doesn't mean the holder has a firearm, just that they can legally own or purchase one.

If this goes through I'm sure the gun trafficers will be rejoicing. I'm still trying to figure out why the AP would make this request in the first place.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,955,290 times
I would not want to send my kids over to a friend's house if the parents had guns. I wouldn't be surprised if more kids die playing with guns than burglars get scared off by the homeowner waving around a gun. If you're a responsible gun owner you would keep it locked up. If someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night, chances are you wouldn't be able to get at your gun in time to protect yourself anyway.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:24 AM

245 posts, read 694,680 times
Knitgirl, this isn't about gun safety. The thread is about whether the state police should release the FOID database to the AP. Just so you know.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:42 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,821,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I would not want to send my kids over to a friend's house if the parents had guns. I wouldn't be surprised if more kids die playing with guns than burglars get scared off by the homeowner waving around a gun. If you're a responsible gun owner you would keep it locked up. If someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night, chances are you wouldn't be able to get at your gun in time to protect yourself anyway.
kknitgirl, in the context of life's risks, this is a non-issue.
You may want to consider going to a gun store and getting some training on the range just to understand the issue. I am not advocating ownership - if it is not for you - that is fine. But a little knowledge goes a long way towards understanding and realization.

One of my observations since moving to Chicago is the extremely low knowledge/experience level amongst the population regarding firearms. In most parts of the country firearms are not a scary thing, but here they are. This fear allows for lot's of disinformation to be dispersed.

Chicago's ability to have unconstitutional laws on the books for decades comes to mind. An educated populace would never allow this to happen.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:33 PM

588 posts, read 1,790,937 times
Knitgirl, that is certainly your choice. I myself wouldn't let my child play in a household with such a narrow and ignorant point of view. I would want to feel safe that my child was in a household that believes in self protection. I'm not going to leave my lamb with a sheep. By the way, I am a responsible gun owner, AND I can assure you I will have access to my gun in the middle of the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois