U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2007, 02:12 PM
 
14 posts, read 52,875 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My family currently lives in Bloomington, but my new job forces a daily commute to downtown Peoria. We'd like to move a lot closer, but still outside of the Peoria city limits.

We're looking for a smaller town with good schools that would be tolerant of an atheist family. We're quiet and nonchalant about our lack of belief but we don't want to live in an area were we would become a source of gossip because we sleep in on Sunday.

I know Morton, Washington, and Dunlap have excellent schools.

Suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2007, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Central Illinois
9 posts, read 23,581 times
Reputation: 9
Washington, Morton, and Dunlap are all excellent places to move to! Another one to consider would be Metamora or Germantown Hills. One thing to keep in mind is that these town are all less than 30k people. Neighbors still know each other, and the small town feel is still VERY alive. With any small town you will have people that love to talk. But with the great quality of life in these towns I think that it makes up for it in the end even if they do. Have you ever thought about living in Peoria proper. You would be even closer to work, and since Peoria is much larger than the rest of these towns you should maybe escape that kind of conduct that you don't want.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 01:28 AM
 
260 posts, read 1,068,504 times
Reputation: 81
Provided you don't have a blood-stained stone altar in the back yard, I think no one would really notice. If anyone gets TOO inquisitive, tell them you're Adventists. No one knows much about that ilk in these parts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 AM
 
14 posts, read 52,875 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by braves View Post
Washington, Morton, and Dunlap are all excellent places to move to! Another one to consider would be Metamora or Germantown Hills. One thing to keep in mind is that these town are all less than 30k people. Neighbors still know each other, and the small town feel is still VERY alive. With any small town you will have people that love to talk. But with the great quality of life in these towns I think that it makes up for it in the end even if they do. Have you ever thought about living in Peoria proper. You would be even closer to work, and since Peoria is much larger than the rest of these towns you should maybe escape that kind of conduct that you don't want.
My concern with Metamora/Germantown hills is the property taxes. I've heard rumors that Woodford County property taxes make my high McLean county look affordable. McLean County has a very nice website for looking up property tax info. I can't find anything similar for Woodford or Tazewell county.

Peoria City Schools make living in the city proper impossible. Richwoods is decent, but its no Morton or Unit 5. To describe Woodruff, Manual, and Peoria as nightmare would be kind. I lived in Peoria for several years, pre-family, so I heard quite a bit about Peoria schools.

Thanks for the info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 AM
 
14 posts, read 52,875 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxtonian View Post
Provided you don't have a blood-stained stone altar in the back yard, I think no one would really notice. If anyone gets TOO inquisitive, tell them you're Adventists. No one knows much about that ilk in these parts.
Um, no. I'm an atheist, not a satanist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 08:48 PM
 
335 posts, read 1,137,452 times
Reputation: 239
Default I'm a Buddhist in Wisconsin

THE BAPTIST WILL GET YOU. THEY WILL GET YER KIDS WORSE IF YOU HAVE THEM!!!. Promises of doughnuts and games tried to lure my kids...luckily they areMY kids. Good luck it ain't easy going against the prevailing wind, but worth it
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 08:59 AM
 
14 posts, read 52,875 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
THE BAPTIST WILL GET YOU. THEY WILL GET YER KIDS WORSE IF YOU HAVE THEM!!!. Promises of doughnuts and games tried to lure my kids...luckily they areMY kids. Good luck it ain't easy going against the prevailing wind, but worth it
Are you refering to door-to-door evangelicals?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 10:27 AM
 
260 posts, read 1,068,504 times
Reputation: 81
His kids probably got bored silly trying to figure just what in blazes the sound of one hand clapping sounded like and attended Vacation Bible School at a Baptist church. For the most part, the only door to door evangelical activity you'll find in Illinois is by the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons. Most people regard these intrusions as annoying but harmless.
Anyway, about V.B.S., they usually do craft projects and the kids get some cookies and kool-aid. They might even come home with a mimeograph they colored in with crayon of the Apostle Paul. How harmful do you find THAT?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Baker City, Oregon
4,252 posts, read 6,466,000 times
Reputation: 7417
There is nothing unusual about being an atheist. They are a dime a dozen.

I have been an atheist for 50 years. I have lived in Northern and Central Illinois, Indiana, Eastern and Western Oregon and rural Alaska. It has never been a problem-in fact, it never occurred to me that it would be a problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 03:19 PM
 
14 posts, read 52,875 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
There is nothing unusual about being an atheist. They are a dime a dozen.

I have been an atheist for 50 years. I have lived in Northern and Central Illinois, Indiana, Eastern and Western Oregon and rural Alaska. It has never been a problem-in fact, it never occurred to me that it would be a problem.
Good to hear. I haven't had a problem, either, but you never know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top