Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:27 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,480,572 times

Advertisements

East Saint Louis is weird because it's been empty for so long. It truly looks post apocalyptic with condemned buildings with trees growing out of them. The Earth is reclaiming this area.

The fact is you could have all the work and the savvy and the money in the world, but the town has such a horrible stigma attached to it, it would take generations before the middle class would come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,233 times
I beleive that Brooklyn (Lovejoy) Illinois deserves the right to be called the oldest black town in America. It also deserves the right to survive the onslaught of negative folk who came to that town and destroyed the "hope" of it's residents; Leadership that has never been accountable and I'm talking abot the "George Thomas", Frankie Skinner, Dy Ho's age simply set by and added to the erosion of that great city. The Pastor's of the churches were unlearned, and afraid of taking a stand or had been paid off and simply sold our birthright. Shame on Them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:38 AM

Oh... Brooklyn is Lovejoy?? Now I know exactly where this place is. Weird that is has a colloquial name.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
I dispute the idea that it's the oldest black town in America, though. Surely there are others in the south and the northeast or out west.
I was looking into this and an award-winning book was written about the fact that it was indeed the first black town. Actually the book (America's First Black Town) looks really interesting.

Then again, apparently a documentarian says it's Princeville, North Carolina, but it wasn't founded until the 1880s whereas Brooklyn had a population by the 1820s.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:13 AM

287 posts, read 346,995 times
And now its a town with 2 strip clubs and a gas station. If the gas station is still there.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:10 AM

4 posts, read 8,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
East Saint Louis is weird because it's been empty for so long. It truly looks post apocalyptic with condemned buildings with trees growing out of them. The Earth is reclaiming this area.

The fact is you could have all the work and the savvy and the money in the world, but the town has such a horrible stigma attached to it, it would take generations before the middle class would come back.
The middle class is being forced to move. St. Louis, Mo is in such a need to completely take over and dominate the area that they have refused for years to assist in restoring the city. East St Louis is on the border of St. Louis and everyone has known for years that Blacks must be removed in order for there to be any real restoration. This city is a vast resource for their growing economy but the racist approach of "Holding down the Blacks also puts on hold their own personal growth. Which is evident from housing to sports. Until the racial barriers that seem not to exist in St. Louis, MO, there will never be any substantial growth for either side; East St Louis, IL or St. Louis, MO. I could rattle on for days about why there seems to be a lopsided view of My hometown but the truth is we aint budging.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojohnson76 View Post
And now its a town with 2 strip clubs and a gas station. If the gas station is still there.
If you don't have anything good to say about the home of my ancestors, of which I am proud to be a native inspite of the negativity, don't say a damn thing at all, please. thank you

Old 02-20-2008, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I was looking into this and an award-winning book was written about the fact that it was indeed the first black town. Actually the book (America's First Black Town) looks really interesting.

Then again, apparently a documentarian says it's Princeville, North Carolina, but it wasn't founded until the 1880s whereas Brooklyn had a population by the 1820s.
If you don't have anything good to say about the home of my ancestors, of which I am proud to be a native inspite of the negativity, don't say a damn thing at all, please. thank you

Old 02-20-2008, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servant1 View Post
I beleive that Brooklyn (Lovejoy) Illinois deserves the right to be called the oldest black town in America. It also deserves the right to survive the onslaught of negative folk who came to that town and destroyed the "hope" of it's residents; Leadership that has never been accountable and I'm talking abot the "George Thomas", Frankie Skinner, Dy Ho's age simply set by and added to the erosion of that great city. The Pastor's of the churches were unlearned, and afraid of taking a stand or had been paid off and simply sold our birthright. Shame on Them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In part u are correct, for the sake of not disputing the accusation, Most Blacks in most cities in America are of the same status. That being true you didn't say much,but " I " recognize that u know a few names of some of the township so I am not at liberty to dispute this matter with U over the internet." One Black, represent Black, all over the world".. Steel Pusle, Handsworth Revolution. George Thomas is of no apparent relation, thank U. If you are goin to take a stance for us my brother, don't add to the negative. Anyone, and I do mean anyone, can do that. I don't know of a greater town, inspite of the horror that has been afflicted upon her. That town is a national, global and universal symbol of not just a township but also my people. So be clear.

Last edited by Bradley-Thomas; 02-20-2008 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: additional statements added

Old 02-20-2008, 11:49 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,611,274 times
I think the way to save brooklyn is to capitalize on the fact that it is the oldest black city. You will need to involve the citizens who live there. Hopefully, they care enough about their community to volunteer and make a difference. black or white, shouldn't matter. if you have the pride of community and ownership, you can make slow strides. I don't know what your form of local government is, but that is another way to get involved. I am a local elected official in my community and you can put zoning regulations in place to limit your strip clubs etc. it will take the cooperation of all the residents to make the change; it takes hard work and a lot of research. there are people to help. you can check with state and local officials. also the illinois municipal league website could provide assistance with the direction to take. good luck. focus on the positive of what your community has to offer. make others see it too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois