Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:09 AM

84 posts, read 1,102,302 times

Advertisements

In my family, and all of my life, electric dryers, or furnaces, or water heaters, was taboo. I am thirty seven, and now; just getting used to forced air heat, and air conditioning. I miss my radiators something awful.

I may be wrong, but most gas appliances, outlast out perform, and operate more cheaply than their electric counterparts.

Illinois and the Midwest are the Saudi Arabia of Coal and Natural Gas, there is a three hundred year supply of coal, in Southern Illinois that hasnt been tapped yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 08:49 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
I remember my mom telling me her dad, my grandfather, hooked up a lawnmower enginge to a washing machine because they had no electricity in N. Wisconsin at the time (1920s and 30s).

Old 07-30-2007, 02:17 AM

54 posts, read 305,488 times
I remember the setup i had in Mount Carroll

Gas Water Heater, Gas Boiler (radiator heat is the GREATEST), Electric Washer/Dryer, Gas Oven.

Lot of places here in the South have All Electric because the Winters don't get so bad down here that they can use Heat Pumps and be cheaper than Nat Gas.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:02 AM

285 posts, read 1,064,650 times
No, us "whipper snappers" don't admit our mistakes. Only senior citizens.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:47 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,487,608 times
I would actually prefer electric to be honest. Nicor\'s rates aren\'t exactly a bargain by any means anymore, and to be honest I used to have gas as well as electric in my house which constituted two bills coming to me every month. Now I\'m on all electric meaning one bill a month and my costs have actually went down. I was able to get on the levelized payment plan and with Comed there is an offer called the \"all electric advantage\" which is where the power company will give you a 10% discount on all of your bills provided all of your appliances and heat are using soley electric. Electric also has less waste as there is no need to exahust the air outside of your building or house via stack due to carbon monoxide created from buring fossil fuels; where as with electric I am able to keep all the heat I generate in my house. The same goes for garage heaters too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois