Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:10 PM

38 posts, read 133,829 times

Advertisements

That explains his spelling, too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 06:46 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
Default How does Illinois change?

There's a very old joke that goes like this: "Anything sourth of State and Madison is Southern Illinois."

The state from border to border is probably near 300 miles long. Illinois is a park state thanks to the pre-1900 State Legislature that created the first zoological park in the nation at Chicago.

Illinois is a farming state. It's flat. But it is considered part of the Grain and Livestock Belt. Central Illinois may be the exception to flat land for it is interrupted by high bluffs that overlook the Illinois River Valley. Hills and valleys surround 6.000 acres that are presently being reclaimed. Before this project is finished anotherr 8,000 acres will be included. I've been to the southernmost tip of the state. The southern IL border is water. I've been in Rockford, Rockton, Chicago, Green Bay, Minnespaolis, St. Paul, Milwaukee, Sioux St. Marie, Sioux City. Rock Island, and so forth. Farm country all looks alike. The things that set one area apart from the other, aside from the weather, are the people, the food, the architecture and the history, but mostly it is the people. . .

Personally I think the Great Lake is awesome, but when I lived in ol' Windy and wanted to relax I liked the area around Fox River. It was a pleasant diversion from the hustle of the City.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:58 PM

2,247 posts, read 3,030,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Personally I think the Great Lake is awesome, but when I lived in ol' Windy and wanted to relax I liked the area around Fox River. It was a pleasant diversion from the hustle of the City.
I always enjoyed the towns along the Fox River, as well. Batavia, Geneva, St. Charles, Elgin, all exuded a certain charm that was different from the hustle and bustle closer to Chicago. Sadly that is changing as the suburban sprawl has finally reached the area and is now swallowing those communities whole.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:05 PM

5 posts, read 23,752 times
I would never, ever call Illinois a hilly state, but I would say the topography really starts to change when you hit highway 13 in southern Illinois. You get some nice, rolling hills. Driving down 127 through Alto Pass, you drive through some pretty large hills, relatively speaking. Driving south of Harrisburg, you also get some pretty big hills.

As far as accents go, by the time you get to Kentucky, there's a definite accent change, but it varies in So IL and central Illinois based on education, how much tv you watch, and how much you get out. I do hear MAYsure and warsh a lot!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:03 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,877,032 times
Seriously, being 'stuck' in Champaign-Urbana most of the time makes Peoria look exotic. It's not Pittsburgh, but it's a decent substitute compared to the rest of midstate. I used to live in the Akron, Ohio, area and the area around the Vermilion River outside of Danville reminds me somewhat of parts of Northeast Ohio east of the Cuyahoga River Valley: rolling hills, some trees ... you know, not pure prairie.

We had a big discussion in class today about the difference between boundaries (i.e. a physical wall) and borders (i.e. some arbitrary line between Illinois and Indiana). I dunno about you, but I can tell when I'm in Illinois and when I'm in Indiana, and when I'm in Ohio and when I'm in Pennsylvania. Nature works linearly? lol

I have not spent any time in Illinois south of I-70. The state between I-70 and I-80, except for MAJOR river valleys, is pretty tame. Things get interesting again north of I-80. I like the land west of Lake Michigan between Milwaukee/Madison and I-80 ... basically the same latitude as Detroit and the cities of midstate Michigan. Big surprise there (that's "home").

Old 12-17-2014, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,908 times
Default Southern Illinois

Southern Illinois, "Little Egypt" is distinct from the rest of Illinois. The eastern southern quadrant is largely linked to Kentucky in accent. While western southern Illinois accent is like that of Southern Missouri. Both have a distinct twang.

I was born and raised there. Yes it is true that the very most southern part is hilly and most of Illinois is corn and soy, top to bottom. However what is inherently different is the citizen allegiances. No matter how one draws the line "north to south," Southern Illinois has a long history affiliated with a Southern identity. Some of which represent a dark "past": salt mines, the reverse underground rail road, while others may mention modern stories of caverns, shut-ins, moonshine, and ghosts that are undoubtedly present icons of Southern Culture and of the upper South. What I mean by allegiances is ask an Illinois citizen if they like the Rams or Bears, the Cardinals or Cubs. Say Chicago and see if their face sours, if BBQ is of regional property, and which direction they head for vacation trips.

Southern Illinois is not the “South.” It is just a borderland–a portal if you will. When one passes through it is suddenly South and from there the USA identity switches.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:34 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,203,793 times
Very, very broadly from north to south:
urban to rural
liberal to conservative
cooler to warmer
flat fields to rolling hills and trees

Old 12-27-2014, 12:48 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,791,708 times
I've driven from the state line in the south all the way to Chicago. I currently live in Peoria and have spent time in Bloomington and been to Springfield, so I've seen a little bit of the state (excepting the far northern part). For the most part, it's just flat and kinda blah. In some areas there are some slightly rolling hills and tree lined roads, but as someone who came from Alabama, where there are mountains upon mountains with trees and green everywhere, the state is pretty boring looking.

Peoria itself is actually the most "pretty" area I've seen. There is some variance in the topography and there are more trees and green areas. Bloomington/Normal is probably the ugliest area I've seen in the state. Flat, no pretty greenery and just depressing looking.

Just my opinion though. Everyone finds beauty in different things.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:31 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I've driven from the state line in the south all the way to Chicago. I currently live in Peoria and have spent time in Bloomington and been to Springfield, so I've seen a little bit of the state (excepting the far northern part). For the most part, it's just flat and kinda blah. In some areas there are some slightly rolling hills and tree lined roads, but as someone who came from Alabama, where there are mountains upon mountains with trees and green everywhere, the state is pretty boring looking.
I'd bet youd like the southern areas of Illinois, particularly in the Shawnee National Forest/Garden of the Gods area, its very hilly, deeply wooded, with waterfalls and limestone canyons... very southern in feel and appearance. For a completely different feel, head up to the NW corner of the state, and take River Road along the Mississippi River to it. Its a fantastic drive through bluffs and hills, and the Galena, IL, area is nestled among hills, chock full of historic architecture, very Northern/New England feeling.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:37 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,230,494 times
Along the river bottoms of many of Illinois rivers you'll find steep hillsides and forested ridges that will give way to fairly flat, tilled plains on top. A large portion of Illinois is this way.

Head down I-57 to about Effingham and you'll begin to see the really wide open fields give way to more rolling topography that's a bit more wooded in spots. Between Marion and Metropolis Illinois is starts to get significantly more wooded, hilly and forested, but still with some farming areas.

Mt Vernon Illinois to about Marion Illinois is mostly a transition zone between the lower midwest and upper or "upland south" region. Somewhere between the two the border gives way and Marion Illinois is in my opinion in the "upland south" and NOT the midwest, although it obviously has lower midwestern influences. The same for southern Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois