U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,528 posts, read 5,827,580 times
Reputation: 6129

Advertisements

Dont we also need cooperation between states, I see where wisconsins governor backed out and that would block the route to the twin cities.

Chi to Det I believe the rails would share AMTRAK (right) I really dont know.
Chi to St Louis is it AMTRAK too or is all new rails?

Yeah I can see where chi would be a good network with rails in place if we can share the lines and reduce costs.

Not sure how ohio stands on this issue but would be interested if anyone knows.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 PM
 
3,506 posts, read 4,620,301 times
Reputation: 1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Dont we also need cooperation between states, I see where wisconsins governor backed out and that would block the route to the twin cities.

Chi to Det I believe the rails would share AMTRAK (right) I really dont know.
Chi to St Louis is it AMTRAK too or is all new rails?

Yeah I can see where chi would be a good network with rails in place if we can share the lines and reduce costs.

Not sure how ohio stands on this issue but would be interested if anyone knows.
Chi to St. Louis the rails of Amtrack are being upgraded and service is expected circa 2014. The train will do up to 125 MPH due the the fact that they are saving money by using desil rather than electric. The rails however are being upgraded to handle more than 125MPH. It will cut the time from chi to st. Louis from 5 1/2 hours by rail to 4 1/2 hours by rail.

The Wisconsin govener sorta changed his mind but it leaves things very unseatled there. It was to be between chi and millwakee.

Chi to Det, and Chi to say Cleveland unkown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
11,537 posts, read 29,012,317 times
Reputation: 6407
OK, so the HSR moves at 125mph. Unless something changes the train still stops at Dwight, Pontiac, Normal, Lincoln, Springfield, Carlinville, Alton, and possibly Carbondale and Du Quoin before you ever gets to St. Louis. Most of these town are 50 miles apart.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 03:47 AM
 
Location: Hoyvík, Faroe Islands
378 posts, read 556,232 times
Reputation: 153
HSR could also include car carriers. Park your car on the train and take it with you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 05:28 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,528 posts, read 5,827,580 times
Reputation: 6129
Great idea
however that would blow
if it was at a rural spot in the middle of noplace and
you had to wait for someone to unload their
ford pinto
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,528 posts, read 5,827,580 times
Reputation: 6129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Yea , we have that problem to. PA is stalling on funding a few corridors that will connect Urban Jersey / NYC to Upstate NY which is frustrating... NJ decided to go ahead and start building one line. But the other line is on hold till the end of the decade. These are not expensive lines though. But there fast lines , up to 120mph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
OK, so the HSR moves at 125mph. Unless something changes the train still stops at Dwight, Pontiac, Normal, Lincoln, Springfield, Carlinville, Alton, and possibly Carbondale and Du Quoin before you ever gets to St. Louis. Most of these town are 50 miles apart.
I did not hear about the WI govn retracting on HSR- surprising pa stalling because they are so close to the east coast and most people out there are used to the HSR.



\ do these towns not want a stop with the train. if not you would wonder why as they would or could support some type of growth along any stop along the way
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Hoyvík, Faroe Islands
378 posts, read 556,232 times
Reputation: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Great idea
however that would blow
if it was at a rural spot in the middle of noplace and
you had to wait for someone to unload their
ford pinto
It doesn't function that way in the example I was thinking of.
The Channel Train between France and England will only unload cars at specific stations. Applied to Illinois, you get to load your car onto one of two or three carriers that are emptied at Peoria or St. Louis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,704 posts, read 98,854,244 times
Reputation: 29882
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I did not hear about the WI govn retracting on HSR- surprising pa stalling because they are so close to the east coast and most people out there are used to the HSR.



\ do these towns not want a stop with the train. if not you would wonder why as they would or could support some type of growth along any stop along the way
It's not that they don't want train service, it's that they don't want to be tied to a long-term financial commitment in the middle of a fiscal crisis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,528 posts, read 5,827,580 times
Reputation: 6129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
It doesn't function that way in the example I was thinking of.
The Channel Train between France and England will only unload cars at specific stations. Applied to Illinois, you get to load your car onto one of two or three carriers that are emptied at Peoria or St. Louis.
That would stop the naysayers who say
Yes to rail except the idea of what they would do when the train arrives at its end point.

excellant idea thanks for shedding some light on this issue
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Hoyvík, Faroe Islands
378 posts, read 556,232 times
Reputation: 153
Those who fail to plan for the future have none.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top