Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 01:33 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times

Advertisements

I think going forward, we need something that bridges the gap between private automobile and airline travel. The gap isn't just speed, but also considers cost and convenience.

Something that can average 150 mph, door to door, avoid lengthy security/check-in issues, and is priced for the median income earner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 07:47 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I think going forward, we need something that bridges the gap between private automobile and airline travel. The gap isn't just speed, but also considers cost and convenience.
It is called a bus.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Tony, I have not seen a bus yet that can travel safely point to point at 150mph - not even federal prison buses that have no governor and on an open stretch of highway that has little traffic. They certainly hit 80mph and maybe even 90mpsh, but 150mph? Not in my lifetime unless it suddenly sprouts wings.

Last edited by linicx; 04-16-2011 at 12:58 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 03:30 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I have not seen a bus yet that can travel safely at 150mph - not even federal prison buses that have no governor and on an open stretch of highway that has little traffic. They certainly hit 80mph and maybe even 90mpsh, but 150mph? Not in my lifetime unless it suddenly sprouts wings.
Umm. Where did I say a bus can go 150 mph?

Old 04-16-2011, 04:03 AM

378 posts, read 576,674 times
You left out an important line from the person you quoted, but I assume you mean busses traveling at 55mph is fast enough.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:52 AM

1,094 posts, read 882,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
The technology allows platoons to form at any point on the highway.

I had another idea though. Why not restrict lanes of traffic to automated car, general purpose lanes for autos not set up for automated driving and a third lane for semi-trucks?
Out of state cars can get jammed. Computer-driven cars can crash. Semi-truck drivers can catch a few ZzZs!
The person who invented this belongs in the same asylum as the one who came up with EZ-pass tolls. They discriminate against drivers from out of the area.

We don't need this technology. Like I said, if something goes wrong, a lot of people will be killed. We have cars running away right now, because microprocessors controlling the engines and transmissions are affected by electromagnetic glitches. They stop running the programs they are supposed to run, and start running data bytes as instructions, causing a loss of control. The computer must be powered down (or find the correct program again by accident) to restore normal operation.

We need to have shorter commutes by banning the elitist zoning laws that keep people from living near where they work. I have to drive 4 miles to work because there is no residential housing any closer to my job. The zoning in the area of my job allows only factories and other employers.

One thing I would accept is a way to physically couple cars together behind an engine.

Last edited by Troubleshooter; 04-16-2011 at 12:04 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Are there right angle intersections on the I-90?
No. But removing right angle intersection on other roads increases their capacities.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 PM

People keep saying that mass transit is the answer. But the main reasons that more people do not use mass transit are:

- The transit does not go where the person is.
- The transit does not go where the person needs to go.
- The transit goes to all but one of the places the person needs to go.
- The transit does not run at the time the person needs to take the trip.
- The transit does not run when the person needs to return.
- The transit takes too long to get between the two points.
- The transit costs more than taking private transportation.
- The transit will not let the rider bring freight.
- People bring things onto the transit that other people have violent airborne allergies to (perfume, chewing gum, peanut butter, makeup).

Old 04-16-2011, 12:15 PM

378 posts, read 576,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
The person who invented this belongs in the same asylum as the one who came up with EZ-pass tolls. They discriminate against drivers from out of the area.
Are you a Luddite who is scared of any new technology entering cars?
How does EZ-pass discriminate?

Quote:
We don't need this technology. Like I said, if something goes wrong, a lot of people will be killed. We have cars running away right now, because microprocessors controlling the engines and transmissions are affected by electromagnetic glitches. They stop running the programs they are supposed to run, and start running data bytes as instructions, causing a loss of control. The computer must be powered down (or find the correct program again by accident) to restore normal operation.
The acceleration problems linked to Toyota were due to, in the first recall, a floor mat pinning the accelerator pedal, and in the second recall, due to the failure of a mechanical device made of nylon 4/6. At no time were the chips involved.
There are also factual and physical problems in your statement, but lets not bring that up right now.

Quote:
We need to have shorter commutes by banning the elitist zoning laws that keep people from living near where they work. I have to drive 4 miles to work because there is no residential housing any closer to my job. The zoning in the area of my job allows only factories and other employers.
No idea what I should say to that, but just to make sure I am not removing any context, I will leave it in.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:56 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I am not sure who you are addressing, but BLS mentioned something that could travel 150 mph point to point.

Tony said, "It is called a bus."

I said I've seen federal prison buses that travel on open highways with little traffic as fast as 80 mph or faster, blah, blah, blah.

Maybe some day there will be platooing buses from coast to coast, but that is in the future.

What I think might be more useful is a method to quickly move travelers to/from the airports via 5-6 +/- centrally located pods strategically placed, throughout the City of Chicago and its suburbs, so as to serve each pod area equally. It should relieve some bus, car and taxi congestion at the aurports and enable cities to offer more/better bus routes within the various communitiescity.

Imagine if you will, a pod at Oak Park wherer riders could arrive at Union Station in 5 minutes; pick up and deliver passengers to ORD in 15 minutes or less including a stop at Midway and return to OP in 30 minutes. The key element is correct placement of the pods and not leave any group out.

Unfortunately government projects move slowly. So even if the project was approved in 24 hours and could be operational in 7 days there would still be a battle between the various political factions while you sit and wait for the official blessing ceremony .

Quote:
You left out an important line from the person you quoted, but I assume you mean busses traveling at 55mph is fast enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois