Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 9,297 times

Advertisements

You may also want to consider Tuscola. It is only about 20-25 mins south of C-U and is right on I-57. They have a little outlet mall and several restaurants. Good schools too. It's a very cozy town and you can find some nice cheap apartments there.

I agree with everyone else though. Rantoul is not the kind of place you would want to call home for very long. I would never put my kids in school there and would never ever consider buying a house there. I can't even put anything out on my front porch without the neighborhood kids messing with it. So much for getting a pumpkin this year...

Old 10-10-2007, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 6,009 times
Wow, my family moved from Rantoul in 1993 after Chanute AFB closed and it's ashame to see how Rantoul turned out. I live in a small town 30 miles east of St. Louis and always wanted to go back to see what's happened, but after my dad went through the town a few years ago, it doesn't sound promising. If anybody went to Broadmeadow Elementary and want to say what's up, email me at super_32@hotmail.com.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:02 PM

7 posts, read 23,549 times
There are some lovely people in Rantoul, but it tends to be spotty with regard to safety, security, etc. The town has yet to cover from the airforce base leaving town; there are good things happening, but you need to be aware of your environment (though that's true anywhere).

I do know that I had a female friend who lived in an apt. complex (Gulf?) who ended up moving out suddenly bec. she found evidence that the mgtmt. staff were entering her apt. at different times and they were very difficult with her when she voiced concerns or tried to amend her lease agreement- no mercy.
(She set up a webcam and found evidence, plus previously found that a male had used the facilities while she was gone (generally, single women don't leave the seat up and DO flush), ceiling tiles rearranged, possible camera setup in her bathroom, etc.)

Even though she had a good-sized dog (Rhodesian Ridgeback cross)- She was just unnerved living there- moved out kit&kaboodle the week before exams- the complex offers great move-in deals and sounds great on paper, but beware of that particular complex.....jmho

Paxton is nice- I've been told that it's fairly conservative compared to C-U. About a 30 min commute, but be sure to figure in gasoline into your budget as a result (true for any collar town, though).
Most folks I know who live in Paxton do NOT go back-n-forth from C-U in a given workday, so if you need to go home frequently (young kids, pets, etc.) it might be too far. (though the same can be said for other collar towns, too).
Philo is nice- easy commute to C-U, but a single person would be singing with the crickets there-not much for them to do if they don't have a kid to bring to the park or the post office (not much to do there at all), or if they don't regard garden/lawnwork as recreation.....This is also true with many other collar towns (St. Joe, Paxton, Thomasboro, Mahomet, Bondville, Tolono, Sadorus, etc.).

Out of all of those- Savoy might be a better bet if single- is closest to C-U, is definitely growing, and has more townhouses/apts/coop type housing than the predominant single family homes in the other towns). I'd bet that it's proportionally more expensive, too, though....

One major/minor (depending on your viewpoint)- the interstates/roads coming into C-U can be 'challenging' in the winter- I-57 is built up compared to the surrounding countryside (in many places) and tends to freeze first- if there is a 'bad' winter storm, you can expect anywhere betw. 15-30 driveoffs (cars/semis who slide/flip off the interstate and need towing) betw. Paxton and C-U (normally a 30 min drive)(but this is very generalized).

Be sure to have warm clothing/water/kitty litter/provisions in your car if you're commuting in from collar areas during winter- not to be too precious, but prudent- you won't necessarily be laid up for days, but hours are not unexpected if weather goes bad quickly. Be aware: if you're a single female on your own, you don't have as many people to bail you out (speaking from experience, not paranoia); AAA is fairly responsive (usually 20-30 min if weather is ok and you're in town), but you'll wait (hours) if there's a big winter storm and you're out in the country betw. cities.

I-74 can be closed upon occasion due to weather/bad crashes (even in summer)....This doesn't mean that the non-interstates (Rt. 45, Rt. 10, Rt. 130) are picnics either....just be aware that 'on paper' and 'in transit' times can widen the gulf between expectation and reality if adverse weather suddenly enters the picture....

Know well that (it seems!) there is NOTHING to stop the wind as it comes down from Canada (save for your backside) and this can result in icing and/or snow drifting that might be a surprise if not forewarned....a small snow storm can cause logistical surprises. That being said- the area does NOT shut down if 2" of snow fall, either (a la Cincinnati)...but that's just my personal experience...

Also JMHO; There is also virtually no largesse at the Big U (U of I) for missed school attendance with regard to weather/commuting/family issues: you're expected to be there, and 'my kid has a major health crisis'/'I live in Monticello and the roads were horrid....' doesn't move too many/any? profs...it's not an overly-friendly academic environment with regard to 'humanity/life is getting in the way of my education' issues...(though it's dept. by dept. too).....All supposedly in the guise of being 'academically rigorous' - I discovered later (going to higher ranked U's than U of I ) that it was just UI folks being 'interpersonally challenged' rather than academically rigorous, but that's my personal beef- no matter.....

Most students don't commute in as can be true of other state U's- parking is virtually nonexistent (staff members pay upwards of $400-$500/yr to park, and the parking isn't even necessarily very close to their work).
If driving in, you'll likely have to park at the Assembly Hall (~ $100-$200/yr, though I'm not certain- may be cheaper), and then use the shuttle into campus and then walk to your building (figure a minimum extra 20 min or so to make your class in time).

If you don't want to spend time/money in commuting- you might find it more economical to spend more to live closer- but it's your call. As a single woman, I'd definitely choose a Savoy/Bondville (though it's a reeally small town! LOL- just bigger than a wide spot in the road!)/Mahomet/other over Rantoul.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:51 PM

131 posts, read 742,705 times
I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I am a resident of Saint Joseph. I love living here, but honestly it isn't very cheap. It has a disproportionate number of high income professionals living here, which drives up the prices for renting and owning. It's a bit lacking in retail and dining, but that is beginning to change. Ogden (a few miles east) has some great restaurants, however. Having said that, the schools here are some of the best you'll find in downstate Illinois. Crime is ridiculously low, and the only redneck in sight is a gomer who likes flying a confederate battle flag and is the laughingstock of the town. Unfortunately, if price is an object you should look elsewhere.

Savoy is a good town. It's the only real suburb C-U has, being right up against Champaign. Lots of townhomes, condos, apartments, all at reasonable prices. Shopping is very good in Savoy.

Bondville is a good choice if you don't mind a tiny bump in the road that has nothing other than a post office and a few miscellaneous businesses, none of which are service related. I grew up in Bondville. Back in the 60s, that was something to be pitied. Now, it's no big deal. Be aware Bondville has no access to I-72, which runs right by it. Talk about an oversight.

Mahomet is not as good a place as it used to be. It's getting crowded there, as growth is moving faster than infrastructure is. Still, it is a nice town with low crime. A bit pricey though.

Monticello is on the outer edge of comfortable commuting. It's a really nice town with everything you need right there. Allerton Park is a sight to behold, and worth a visit no matter where you end up living in the area.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch625 View Post
Ogden (a few miles east) has some great restaurants, however.[/b]
Really? Care to name them? I must be missing something. The only thing I can think of out there is Pizza King (which sucks), Billy Bob's (which sucks) and the Pink House or whatever it's called this week (which sucks).

Old 10-21-2007, 09:14 PM

The restaurant by the interstate is fantastic. I actually liked Billy Bobs. The food, not the decor (if you can call it that).

Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
I checked with my wife. She says it's called The Lincoln House (or used to be and maybe is again; apparently it changes names more often than the Pink House does), and she strenuously disagrees with your assessment. I guess I'll have to find out for myself.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:12 AM

That's the name.

Different people have different tastes. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:55 AM

2 posts, read 10,823 times
Boy, the love for Rantoul (er, I mean "Rantucky") is hard to miss in this thread...

Old 03-18-2008, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 10,290 times
Wink I live in Rantoul

I moved back to Rantoul from New Orleans. La after hurricane Katrina took everything. I lived on the base where I was born in 1950. After I returned I lived at a place that I hated, only because I don't like big complexes and also the managment was full of rude people. I was born on the airforce base and my memories of here were nice. We moved because of the miltary transferring us to Japan and then for 45 years to New Orleans. I have read all the comments in here about Rantucky lol and others. Let me say this much. Living with sounthern hospitality in the south all these years I do see where Rantoul is a bit rude or the residents are not friendly and if, and when I do come accross one that is nice, they are usually are not from here. Someone mentioned a bank robbery here and yes, there was ONE but OMG! I have been living here again since 2005 and I can even leave my doors unlocked it is like living in the 1950's, especially after having to have alarm systemes and bars on windows and doors in Louisiana. LOL. It is peaceful here, the dogs don't even bark!! My daughter met a man in the airforce 3 years before the hurricane hit, and she moved here with my three G-kids it devastated me. But what are the odds for her to meet, fell in love and married a man that I went to grammer school with his parents? After we survived the devastating hurricane and we moved back we settled in. My grandchildren are so happy here, and the schools have helped my g-kids so much. The schools in Louisiana are awful!!!!!!!!!! I also want to address the mixed racial family issues/questions that was mentioned on these posts. I see many many mixed families and I see the kids all being friends. I find it amazing since in Louisiana all the kids and nationalities are still staying in their own groups they don't even talk. Here some are even married to each other, holding hands or just hanging out. it is great!!!! I am white so I am saying this with an open mind, And the one person who has been the nicest to us since we moved here is a balck family. I was not raised prejudice, being military all my life that is not an option, also I was once missairforce and I am an author/poet I have two books out.
I feel safe and comfortable here. It is not the fanciest place, and peole say that it has changed for the worse since the Airforce base closed and I can see that. But... All and all I here no domestic fights, school fights, one fire in three years and one robbery in three years. you never hardly here a siren. I can not say that for the big city that I lived in for 45 years. I see kids walking the streets safely. I never did in the south NO< LA. So Rantoul is safer than most places, but boring and not very friendly that is why it is called Rantucky by mostly teenagers LOL. If you want to reitre it is cost affective and we are on disability so I can speak for it. We own a house that is nice on a corner lot by dairy queen and 136 we paid $50,000.00 for it. they are still going for that price. That is about it. Hope you make your choice and join us. Anymore questions please e-mail me at [EMAIL="missairforce@aol.com"]missairforce@aol.com[/EMAIL]. Thanks, Phyllis

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_cubbies View Post
You may also want to consider Tuscola. It is only about 20-25 mins south of C-U and is right on I-57. They have a little outlet mall and several restaurants. Good schools too. It's a very cozy town and you can find some nice cheap apartments there.

I agree with everyone else though. Rantoul is not the kind of place you would want to call home for very long. I would never put my kids in school there and would never ever consider buying a house there. I can't even put anything out on my front porch without the neighborhood kids messing with it. So much for getting a pumpkin this year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois