Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 11:02 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times

Advertisements

Nice shots! Where is that last one taken at? Looks nice and quiet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:42 AM

177 posts, read 847,399 times
Default Images of Illinois

Thanks again, Steve-O!

The last shot was taken at the Fox River Bluff Park, which is located at the intersection of Route 31 and Red Gate Road along the Fox River. The St. Charles North High School is kiddie corner to the park.

Apparently it is a local spot for dog-walking. Everytime I go there, there are plenty of people walking their dogs on the trails. It's a nice park, but in my opinion it's not that quiet since there are neighborhoods in the area.

But the views are beautiful and the drive along Route 31 is scenic with many views of the Fox River Valley.

Here are a couple of more shots that I took of the park yesterday.

Have you ever been to Marengo Ridge?

Images of Illinois-fox-river-bluff-07.23.08.jpg

Images of Illinois-field-07.23.08.jpg

Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times
Wow, Ive never even seen that place before! I used to have family that lived right off Red Gate Road and must have passed the Bluff park several dozen times. DOH!

Ive been to Ferson Creek right there, with the wooden boardwalk that leads through the wetlands and down to the Fox River, its nice!

Never been to Marengo Ridge, where is that? Whats in the park?

Old 07-24-2008, 04:38 PM

Marengo Ridge is a park in Marengo, IL in McHenry County. It's a glacial moraine left by the last Ice Age.

Here is a link where you could read a little bit about it if you'd ever like to go there and take some pics:
Weekend Explorer: Marengo Ridge – Winter 2002 (http://chicagowildernessmag.org/issues/winter2002/weekendexplorer.html - broken link)

It's a really quiet, hilly area with wooded and grassy sections and plenty of opportunities to take some great pictures.

To get there, you'd take Rte. 20 west to Marengo. Then, turn right on County Road 23 and take that for about 2 miles until you get to Marengo Ridge, which will be on the right.

Here are a few pictures that I took at Marengo Ridge this past winter. I haven't been there in the summer yet.

Images of Illinois-marengo-ridge-03.16.08.jpg

Images of Illinois-marengo-ridge-02.16.08.jpg

Images of Illinois-tall-pines-marengo-ridge-marengo-il

Old 07-26-2008, 12:42 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,548,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenKrzak View Post
Marengo Ridge is a park in Marengo, IL in McHenry County. It's a glacial moraine left by the last Ice Age.

Here is a link where you could read a little bit about it if you'd ever like to go there and take some pics:
Weekend Explorer: Marengo Ridge – Winter 2002 (http://chicagowildernessmag.org/issues/winter2002/weekendexplorer.html - broken link)

It's a really quiet, hilly area with wooded and grassy sections and plenty of opportunities to take some great pictures.

To get there, you'd take Rte. 20 west to Marengo. Then, turn right on County Road 23 and take that for about 2 miles until you get to Marengo Ridge, which will be on the right.

Here are a few pictures that I took at Marengo Ridge this past winter. I haven't been there in the summer yet.

Attachment 24133

Attachment 24134

Attachment 24135

Great Pictures Steve!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:55 PM

Thanks, Josh!

I've posted some others on the previous page in case you didn't see them. I'll keep posting more images of Illinois as I take them.

By the way, you're pics of Wisconsin are breathtaking.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenKrzak View Post
Thanks, Josh!

I've posted some others on the previous page in case you didn't see them. I'll keep posting more images of Illinois as I take them.

By the way, you're pics of Wisconsin are breathtaking.

Thanks Steve. Now we have to Steves on the Illinois section that take great pictures!

Old 07-27-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Thanks Steve. Now we have to Steves on the Illinois section that take great pictures!
Thanks for the compliment, Josh!

Here are a few more images of Illinois that I've taken this year, enjoy!

Images of Illinois-ferson-creek-leroy-oakes-st.-charles

Images of Illinois-red-barn-leroy-oakes-st.-charles

Images of Illinois-reflection-leroy-oakes-01.24.08.jpg

Images of Illinois-country-sunset-leroy-oakes-01.24.08.jpg

Images of Illinois-winding-path-fox-river-02.16.08.jpg

Images of Illinois-volo-bog-04.09.08.jpg

Images of Illinois-open-water-area-volo-bog-il

Images of Illinois-footbridge-over-pine-creek-white-pines

Old 07-27-2008, 09:30 PM

Steve, I envy the owners of that well kept barn! Our barn needs some new paint we have some new paint here and there though.

Keep em coming guys!

Old 07-27-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Steve, I envy the owners of that well kept barn! Our barn needs some new paint we have some new paint here and there though.

Keep em coming guys!
Hey, Josh,

Actually, I believe that the barn in that picture was part of a farm in the mid 1800's. It's been preserved and the 264 acres was eventually developed into the Leroy Oakes Forest Preserve in St. Charles, IL. One can hike, bike, picnic, birdwatch and go horseback riding there.

I envy you because you have a barn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois