Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 AM

177 posts, read 847,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
I have some pictures of Galena I'll have to share with you guys!

Just as soon as I load em onto the computer...

It's such a beautiful town with so many cool historical buildings and a great downtown, too! Plus, it's in one of the most beautiful parts of Illinois.
Hi, illinoisboy,

I can't wait to see your pictures of Galena! I've been there a few times and love the long, scenic views and the quaint downtown area.

Now that I have a digital camera, I'm anxious to get there and take some pictures. Have you seen Steve-o's shots of Galena? They're beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 PM

595 posts, read 2,735,759 times
I know! It really is a cool town, one of my favorites. I plan on going back for a long weekend this September and take more time to walk around and admire all of the buildings.

I'll make sure to get LOTS of pictures then!

And, btw, no I haven't seen Steve-o's pictures. I'd like to, though. Do you remember where they were?

I plan on uploading mine tomarrow...

Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
I know! It really is a cool town, one of my favorites. I plan on going back for a long weekend this September and take more time to walk around and admire all of the buildings.

I'll make sure to get LOTS of pictures then!

And, btw, no I haven't seen Steve-o's pictures. I'd like to, though. Do you remember where they were?

I plan on uploading mine tomarrow...
Sounds great, illinoisboy, enjoy your weekend in Galena next month! And take lots of pictures!

You could find Steve-o's pictures of Galena in this thread.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:58 PM

595 posts, read 2,735,759 times
Default Galena

Here are some of the pictures I took from my trip to Galena last weekend. I actually messed around with the settings a bit to try to make the pictures look like thre real thing...

Part of the main drag

A close up of the fire station - dating back to 1874

More to come! Just as soon as I get the patience to upload em...
Attached Thumbnails
Images of Illinois-cropped-galena-001.jpg   Images of Illinois-galena-003.jpg   Images of Illinois-galena-005.jpg   Images of Illinois-galena-007.jpg   Images of Illinois-galena-018.jpg  

Old 08-21-2008, 09:25 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
Nice shots, thanks for sharing! Galena is in my top 5 fave towns in the entire country, it has some magic to it, doesnt it? If you want a really neat experience, walk the streets on a snowy night after everyone has gone home, its like stepping back in time, its really something you should experience. lol Trust me on that!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:41 PM

Hi, illinoisboy,

Great images of Galena, IL, thanks for posting them! I like the shots of the 1874 fire station. It's fun to walk around the city and admire the different types of architecture. The scenery there is so beautiful. I can't wait to see your other pictures of Galena!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Nice shots, thanks for sharing! Galena is in my top 5 fave towns in the entire country, it has some magic to it, doesnt it? If you want a really neat experience, walk the streets on a snowy night after everyone has gone home, its like stepping back in time, its really something you should experience. lol Trust me on that!
Steve-o,

You're right, I feel the same way, there is a sort of magic to Galena, IL, with its rolling hills and quaint downtown. Walking down the streets there on a snowy night when the streets are empty is something that I'll try to do this winter.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,553,386 times
Steven and Steve-o, You guys are making me itch to get down to Galena some day.

Steven, Great Images once again.

You guys should work for Illinois tourism or something along those guidelines.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Steven and Steve-o, You guys are making me itch to get down to Galena some day.

Steven, Great Images once again.

You guys should work for Illinois tourism or something along those guidelines.

Thanks, Josh! I'll think about the IL tourism gig.

I'd love to spend some time in the Portage, WI area as well and take some nice snapshots.

You should take a drive down to Galena one day and bring your camera, it is beautiful. It's probably about a 2.5 hour drive from Portage, WI.

BTW, the Galena images above were taken by illinois boy. Now that I have a digital camera, I can't wait to get to Galena and take some pictures.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:25 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenKrzak View Post
Steve-o,

You're right, I feel the same way, there is a sort of magic to Galena, IL, with its rolling hills and quaint downtown. Walking down the streets there on a snowy night when the streets are empty is something that I'll try to do this winter.
Do it around 1 or 2am for best results. Its better at that time because there will be no cars parked on the street and no traffic either. When its snowing things get even queiter and more peaceful, and you can almost close your eyes and have visions of horse-drawn carriages coming down the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois