Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 07:22 PM

3 posts, read 10,484 times

Advertisements

Im a simple city girl that went on a little vacation down to Springfield to go visit some friends and everywhere I went, I was welcomed and felt very comfortable. When I came back home to where I live now, everything that annoyed me and stressed me out BEFORE I left, came back to me for some odd reason. Im heading back down there in Sept and literally counting down the days until I go back (which is 44 more days.) Can anyone give me any pointers as to where I can check out places to live and work around there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 09:20 PM

40 posts, read 258,629 times
I know a lot of people who have moved here and really liked it. I moved here from a larger city and for the most part I have found it to be just fine. It does have a relatively slow pace of life, which for the most part is nice, but it can be a little annoying when you are driving. Springfield is small, but still large enough to offer most things you would want, and close enough to St. Louis and Chicago for when you need a larger city.

As far as places to live, that depends on what you want. If the quality of the local public school system isn't a primary concern, I think actually living in Springfield makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, you might consider one of the close-in suburbs. Within Springfield, many parts of the west side (which tends to be more professional) and much of the north end (generally more working class) is generally good. There are some exceptions to that, and those aren't the only reasonable parts of town to live in. It all depends on what you want, and how much you want to spend.

Employment depends on what kind of work you do. The largest employers are listed on the city website:
Office of Planning & Economic Development :Employers

And yes, the state, is the largest employer, and their jobs are posted here:
Applying for Employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerika View Post
Im a simple city girl that went on a little vacation down to Springfield to go visit some friends and everywhere I went, I was welcomed and felt very comfortable. When I came back home to where I live now, everything that annoyed me and stressed me out BEFORE I left, came back to me for some odd reason. Im heading back down there in Sept and literally counting down the days until I go back (which is 44 more days.) Can anyone give me any pointers as to where I can check out places to live and work around there?

Thanks!

Last edited by AnonymousCoward; 07-31-2007 at 09:32 PM..

Old 08-01-2007, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 10,484 times
Thank you SO much for replying back at me! This is going to be HUGE for me and this is actually my first time moving into a place by myself. Im kinda scared, but then again, Im kinda excited. I have a few friends out there that are willing to help me out, so Im very greatful. As far as schooling goes, Im looking to get back into college and have been checking out U of I in Springfield and I was also told that there was a community college around there as well. As far as employment goes, I have a couple of friends that are willing to check to see if their places of employment are seeking help. As far as places to stay, I was told that I can get places for like 450-500 a month for a 2 bedroom which is A LOT cheaper than out here where I live now (which can run you up 1000 a month depending on where you want to live.)

Old 08-02-2007, 01:36 AM

166 posts, read 852,990 times
The community college is Lincoln Land. It's in the same general vicinity as UIS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: