Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 PM

13,620 posts, read 7,936,616 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm going to be passing through Champaign this summer, and I want to stop and check out the city and the campus since I am a huge college football fan, and love college towns.

Does anyone have suggestions for good, unique, family-friendly places to eat lunch that are near the university? Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 19,168 times
I attend the school there right now. Some of the great places include Papa Del's which is a pizzeria and it is very good. Lai Lai for some good chinese food. That's all I could think of, but Papa Del's is definitely good.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 AM

30 posts, read 60,023 times
wait, the U of I has a football team??? (sorry illini fans, i couldn't resist. actually, i think they'll be relatively solid this year.)

anyway, you could maybe try 'minnecis' at springfield and 1st (i think). good, reasonably priced italian food.

enjoy your trip. i also love visiting and checking out new college towns!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:38 PM

29 posts, read 92,351 times
Minneci's is a great full service Italian Restaurant: Minnecis Ristorante . I'm partial to their pizzas with sun-dried tomatoes. If you just want pizza, go to Papa Del's. Papa Del's deep dish pizza is legendary among those who have attended the U. of I. and or lived in Champaign-Urbana. Take time to walk around the U. of I. campus (after pizza at Pop's you'll need to!). The corridor bounded roughly by Green - Wright - Fourth and Daniel streets in Champaign is one of the most vibrant areas in IL outside of the Chicago metro area.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:34 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Black Dog BBQ

Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 PM

115 posts, read 231,756 times
What about that cute sandwich shop in Urbana? I don't remember the name of it right now.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:05 PM

13,620 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Thank you for all of your suggestions, I'm compiling a list of recommended places.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldream View Post
What about that cute sandwich shop in Urbana? I don't remember the name of it right now.
My guess is you're thinking of Courier Cafe. Cute place, good sandwiches, but in the end it's just an old-timey sandwich joint, and therein lies a fair chunk of its appeal. Atmosphere, yes. Mind-blowing cuisine, no.

Anyway, to the OP: I second Black Dog if the lines have finally died down and the servers have had an attitude adjustment. Other than that there really aren't many outstanding dining options in Chambana. It's mostly a matter of judging who does everyday stuff better than their competitors. For the best of everyday Mexican, I suggest any of the 3 or so Dos Reales locations in town. Steer clear of the El Toro mini-chain.

Sun Singer is a nice but out-of-the-way little wine/craft-beer/liquor store with a nice deli counter where you can grab a gourmet sandwich and a glass of the latest Shiraz for a lazy lunch or light dinner in a homey atmosphere. You can even pick out your own wine or craft beer from their retail shelf and they'll open it and serve it for you with your meal; and if it's a beer or white or blush wine in need of chilling, there's a chiller tank that will have it down to the appropriate temperature in a matter of minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois