U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2011, 12:29 PM

9 posts, read 11,733 times

Advertisements

Murphysboro, IL

The 2000 census shows Murphysboro's population at 13,295.
The 2010 census shows it's population at 7, 970.

For those who live there or in the area, is this correct? Maybe this where Carbondale's 6k population growth came from?

Any info, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 11:46 PM

415 posts, read 383,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amartinznyc View Post
Murphysboro, IL

For those who live there or in the area, is this correct? Maybe this where Carbondale's 6k population growth came from?

Any info, thanks!
That has to be the most staggering population loss I have heard of for a population loss in the 2010 census for an Illinois community. I am no expert on that specific area but perhaps it is suffering the same effects of other far southern Illinois communities like Cairo which would be white flight, lack of economic opportunities and magnetism to nearby prosperous areas like the Illinois suburbs of Saint Louis or perhaps to nearby Carbondale that has SIU. Murphysboro is the county seat of Jackson County which includes Carbondale so you would think that would hold it up somewhat but then again being a county seat doesn't help Cairo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphysboro,_Illinois
There isn't too much to go on to explain its decline in the wikipedia article but there is a small tidbit: On May 8, 2009 a derecho windstorm destroyed houses, brought down power lines, and left the town without electricity for a week. The surrounding woodlands and recreational trails were heavily impacted. This storm happened less than a year before the census was taken and if the town didn't recover properly in time it could have had an impact, still it would shock me if that alone would be the reason for the huge drop. That is a 40% decline in ten years, much worse than even nearby Cairo's decline of 22%.

Last edited by chicago103; 06-04-2011 at 11:59 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,135,487 times
Quote:
Murphysboro, IL

Any info, thanks!
Some of my relatives lived in Murphysboro for a short time. I think the town has been experiencing tough economic times and flight of people to more urban areas for quite a while. In fact, the family I knew only lived there for maybe 2 years and moved back to Springfield because there was more to do, they were too far from family and there weren't enough job opportunities. They area is very beautiful, but you've got to like small-town charm, I'd say.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:04 PM

8,018 posts, read 5,866,638 times
Never even heard of it.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 AM

708 posts, read 893,900 times
I don't trust those figures. I don't think Murphysboro has ever had more than 10,000 pop. at the most, and that's stretching it. Any population loss that great would be big news in this region, and this is the first I've heard of it. If Wikipedia is the only source, you need to dig into the census.gov site. I don't think these numbers are accurate.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:58 AM

9 posts, read 11,733 times
Thanks for the reply BLS. I actually got those numbers from the Census website. That is why I was wondering if there was some mistake the Census made or if these numbers were in fact true. I can't see how they could somehow miss 5k people though.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 PM

708 posts, read 893,900 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply BLS. I actually got those numbers from the Census website. That is why I was wondering if there was some mistake the Census made or if these numbers were in fact true. I can't see how they could somehow miss 5k people though.
Yes, those figures are verified through the Census site. My best guess is that some unincorporated areas were annexed into the city limits sometime before the 2000 census, and then broken off again prior to the 2010 census.

The area along Route 13 between Carbondale and Murphysboro is fairly well populated, and has been an area of growth in recent years. It's possible for one political reason or another, that some of that area was once part of Murphysboro, but no longer is. At any rate, I don't think that great of a population loss was the result of people relocating out of the area,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois