Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 11:35 AM

10 posts, read 21,789 times

Advertisements

Hi , We are a family from the Uk and have been offered a job in Rockford Illinois. I have been having a search on here re areas to live with good schools, I have 2 elementary aged children.
I have been looking as far out as Lake Geneva in WI but i think that will be an hour or so commute to work for me but sounds good place to live and school our children.
We have also looked into Belvidere, Cherry Valley which are closer and am going to look into places in the middle too.
Does anyone have any advice for us about where is best to live, like i say i am happy to commute up to an hour if it means we can settle and be happy.
Thanks in Advance
Jo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 5,440 times
Don't live in Rockford itself. My youngest daughter was born in Rockford, and we lived just outside of loves park. Unfortunately, Rockford School District is not good, quite horrible in fact, although private schools are ok if you can afford it, or were planning on that. There are nice newer communities toward the wisconsin border that are only about 20-30 minutes commute. Loves Park Elementary schools are good, my oldest went to one before we moved to Wisconsin. I just can't remember all the names of the towns out that way though. They are close enough to Rockford, but far enough that you won't get any of the issues common to Rockford, if that makes sense.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:03 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
I have a cousin who lives in South Beloit. He's got a very nice house on a lot of land.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:05 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,190 times
Roscoe is a nice place to live.Its about a half hr north of Rockford. Nice schools and nice people. If you buy a newer house in Roscoe or South Beloit do alot of research though. Rockton is another good choice.
DO NOT LIVE IN ROCKFORD!!!!

Old 06-08-2011, 11:01 PM

434 posts, read 1,164,748 times
Rockford isn't the greatest place on Earth but don't let anyone tell you not to live here. There are nice areas in the city itself; the private schools are excellent. It amazes me how ignorant people are sometimes....

Old 06-09-2011, 11:11 AM

115 posts, read 231,659 times
You might want to add Cherry Valley to the list. It's very near Rockford but a nice area. I live in the far south east side of Rockford, almost in Cherry Valley, and it is pretty quiet and convenient over here. Not much trouble with crime, but we don't have kids in public school. Very convenient to stores, restaurants and the interstate. Rockford is not a terrible area to live IF you stay away from the bad areas. But remember, there is a lot of property crime here so you have to watch your back and lock your doors at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois