Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:32 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Like Sedona, its expensive. I'm sure that's why it hasn't blossomed like other SW cities. That and the fact that it gets a lot of snow will deter people, too. People who move to AZ normally dont want to move to a snowy city. lol
Why is it expensive? It is because it's similar to a Colorado ski resort town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 04:40 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Why is it expensive? It is because it's similar to a Colorado ski resort town?
I couldn't tell you why. Its not really a ski town like Aspen, but it has some slopes right outside town.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 7,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I am strongly considered moving back. I was born and raised in in the Chicago area, and moved to the SW where I've been for the last three years. Although the cheap COL and weather is nice, most of my family and friends still reside in IL. I honestly think the weather here gets boring sometimes, its sunny and warm all the time, I do miss variety and some of you may think I'm crazy.

I check the news on IL often and see how crazy the states politics and budget issues have become, but yet want to return. Very few cities can beat Chicago in terms of world class and things to do, IMO. Am I crazy for wanting to return?
Then we are crazy as well ! LOL ! While I have lived in Co,NM and Ok,we have lived in Tx primarily the last 37 yrs.Miss family,friends in Il.and In.Loathe the heat here and no change of seasons !We are around 60 raising a teenager that needs to be closer to my family.Looks like we may have a really good business opportunity in NW Ind.We are going up at Christmas this year to investigate further.We are looking at a rural,small town type of life in places like Remington,In,Renssealer,In or Peotone Il or Momence.I've loved Texas but the heat,traffic and lack of family and friends is becoming no longer acceptable.The best to you all !

Old 08-14-2017, 01:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,859 times
So did you move back to Illinois and why? Didn’t see that part being answered

Old 01-11-2018, 12:46 AM

7 posts, read 8,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtsbrandon View Post
Lived in Jacksonville FL for 4 years, has a great job, but misssd home and family and friends. Moved back to Grayslake and started a job off the train line cost of living is going to equal being less actually than Florida, lot of work went into the move, but happy to be home. Only being 30, I couldn’t be in Florida that long. Not even tornado sirens in Florida and they happen a lot now!
I know I’m late to this thread but I’ve actually been looking into the Grayslake/Gurnee area for a while now and I wanna know your point of view on it. Do you enjoy it there? What about the area do you like? I’m looking to escape SoCal as the weather is extremely boring and hot and it’s waaaaay to overpopulated. I need a more laid back lifestyle and I have a couple friends from that area and said it was nice.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 7,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtsbrandon View Post
So did you move back to Illinois and why? Didn’t see that part being answered
Not yet.probably indiana this June.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:42 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
I'd love to move back to NW corner of IL. Lived there twice but transferred to OK which we have a nice ranch but both daughters married and live in the State with 6 grandchildren. So, were probably stuck but will always love that part of IL. Their politics stick and their property taxes are horrible but will always miss Stockton IL. near Galena.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:10 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I'd love to move back to NW corner of IL. Lived there twice but transferred to OK which we have a nice ranch but both daughters married and live in the State with 6 grandchildren. So, were probably stuck but will always love that part of IL. Their politics stick and their property taxes are horrible but will always miss Stockton IL. near Galena.
yeah, the politicians have really hosed up Illinois. As much as we like it here, we'll probably be loading up the wagon and heading across the border in the near future.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:28 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
I'd pay the high property taxes if I knew they would than have their act together. But who knows what Chicago will do. If they go bankrupt does the rest of the State have to bail them out? Probably so. So the diary farmer in the Northwest corner who works his butt off will bail out Chicago's pensions. Some of those pensions are very high. I guess we all should have joined the unions so we would a free nice life at the age of 55 and let the rest of the state figure it out.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:46 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I'd pay the high property taxes if I knew they would than have their act together. But who knows what Chicago will do. If they go bankrupt does the rest of the State have to bail them out? Probably so. So the diary farmer in the Northwest corner who works his butt off will bail out Chicago's pensions. Some of those pensions are very high. I guess we all should have joined the unions so we would a free nice life at the age of 55 and let the rest of the state figure it out.
Most are assuredlynot retiring at 55 with cushy 6+ figure pensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois