Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 10:33 AM

15 posts, read 17,124 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently living in Central Florida but from Long Island, NY and I am trying to decide on relocating to Chicago or back to Long Island. Long Island's job market is really not that great and it is extremely overcrowded. Any information on Chicago would be helpful and comparisons from those who have the info would be great! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 12:53 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Any information besides what you have listed would be helpful.
The nation is in a depression so its a poor job market everywhere.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:38 PM

Living in Florida, I know that all to well unfortunately....my background is in administration in the financial industry which clericly can be applied anywhere. I don't have specific details on where in Chicago I am thinking about living as I am in the beginning stages. But I am single, 39. I am curious about the way of living in contrast to NY as well - would it be hard to adjust or is it a friendly city?

Old 09-19-2011, 01:43 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Are you interested in the City or the suburbs? You might want to post in one of those forums.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM

I'm not really sure yet, so I kept it general. I am just beginning my research. So any overall help would be helpful. I live in Florida and hate it...for so very many reasons but have been here for 2 years and having grown up on Long Island which is a train ride from NYC I can adapt to the city or the suburbs I think. I just don't know that much about Chicago or the its suburbs. Is it similar to NY?

Old 09-19-2011, 03:54 PM

New York is certainly bigger than Chicago and its burbs.
Chicago is unique in so many ways.
It's a metropolis so you will have the same general feel as a very large city.
Your dollar will also get you more here in the Chicago area vs. out East.s

I have been to New York but never its burbs, I can probably guess its suburbs are kind of the same.
You will not duplicate NYC

The city itself has a central business district which is the Loop
The suburbs fan out from the loop in a North, South and West Direction.
Directly East is Lake Michigan which is a beautiful spot for many to enjoy.
The city is world famous for its architecture.
Has many Universities
and home to some of the best hospitals in the nation.

The Metro area and its collar counties have a population close to 10 million
There are fabulous restaurants, clubs, parks and museums , you will not be bored in this area.
Chicago has just about anything and everything to do and see.

I would suggest a visit this way you can at least capture what the city and its suburbs are like.
But just as other metros its hard to capture until you actually live here and they say it usually takes about two years to really know a place.

The city has public transportation so it is possible to live without a car, harder to do in the burbs
but possible.

The area has a large population of immigrants and also is diverse in many areas.
There are plenty of ethnic restaurants and stores.

I would just start doing research on the net and if something sparks you interest ask the question in particular.

There are many posters on this board who know Chicago and can get you answers to your questions its just the specifics.

I can guarantee you if you ask a direct question about a neighborhood or a restaurant , night club etc.
You will get all the answers you so desire.

And yes, Chicago is a welcoming city.

I live in the suburbs but frequent often and work there.
hopefully one day will move into the city.
http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_metropolitan_area

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 09-19-2011 at 04:04 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 04:13 PM

Wow!! I can't tell you how very helpful that was!!! I am so happy I decided to post something. You made my heart smile......so many things you mentioned are what I am looking for! I have just planned a weekend in October to atleast get a feeling of what its like and I am really looking forward to it! I love NY and the energy but really want that but more intimate...if that makes sense. lol. Sometimes its just to big. I have heard that the people in the midwest are very friendly....is that true? NYers are very welcoming......once you know them - but if you don't can seem so abrasive and rude. I am kind of over that mentality and really just want to feel at ease.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeec View Post
Wow!! I can't tell you how very helpful that was!!! I am so happy I decided to post something. You made my heart smile......so many things you mentioned are what I am looking for! I have just planned a weekend in October to atleast get a feeling of what its like and I am really looking forward to it! I love NY and the energy but really want that but more intimate...if that makes sense. lol. Sometimes its just to big. I have heard that the people in the midwest are very friendly....is that true? NYers are very welcoming......once you know them - but if you don't can seem so abrasive and rude. I am kind of over that mentality and really just want to feel at ease.
You see if your planning a weekend in October.

Make a short list of things you want to visit or see or what is important to you.

Many people here will guide you where to go, what to see and if you have a general idea for what lifestyle you live will point you in the right direction on the neighborhood that you may like to firmly put your feet.

good luck

Old 09-19-2011, 05:15 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Here's a short comparison that might amuse you.

LA has Hollywoood, smog and an ocean; NYC has five burroughs, Manhattan and an ocean; Chicago has a thousand neighborhoods, no ocean and no competition. It also doesn't reach the height of LA snobbery or have the hard, edgy East Coast vibe.

Last edited by linicx; 09-20-2011 at 06:25 AM..

Old 09-20-2011, 06:27 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
IChicago dominates the entire Midwest in size, stature, culture, cuisine, arts, entertainment, available transportation, pro-sportst and NY labels. It does not look, feel or taste like NYC or LA. There is no other culture to influence Chicago unless you consider corn, beans and cows. Chicago is squarely in the middle of America's breadbasket.

Outsiders will either make Chicago a home they love or they will go home with bitter memories. It's their choice - just as it was their choice to move to Chicago. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois