Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 04:42 PM

54 posts, read 143,027 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of people I know who commute to Galena from Dubuque, and vice/versa.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:17 AM

204 posts, read 422,505 times
That is what we figured we would do! We hope to visit before christmas..(Nov. most likely) Dubuque looks awesome..they have a video on the city..it seems clean, very safe, lots to do...We may have more ?'s mostly about Dubuque once we get back from the area. Exciting times.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:07 AM

31 posts, read 83,029 times
If you're looking to development land with places growing and higher employment, you should consider Texas, and North Carolina, with North Carolina being much closer to you. The tri-angle and Charlotte regions are some of the fastest growing regions in the USA. You can only work x-amount of time out of the year in the upper midwest. There's not many employment opportunities. The midwestern states are losing congressional seats not gaining them. That means they are losing population. States like North Carolina and Texas are gaining congressional seats which means large amounts of people are locating to these states. The Dubuque, Iowa, and Galena, Illinois, areas have a slow growth to them and are mainly agriculture areas. I think you'd go broke rather quickly up here unless you have contacts up here.

I lived up in Dubuque, Iowa, and O'Fallon, Missouri, for a number of years. O'Fallon, Missouri, and west, did have a lot of growth and I really liked the people their a lot better then Dubuque, Iowa, along with the weather is a zillion times better in east central Missouri then northeastern Iowa. Dubuque would be in the 30s or 40s a lot of times in the Spring, and Fall while St. Louis would be in the 60s or 70s. With the occassional mild 70 degree once or twice in the winter months. Galena is a lovely town but small and anytime you go to a small town you have small employment opportunities. Dubuque is a lovely town as well but a bad choice not many jobs from what I remember. The weather stinks a majority of the year in the upper midwest.

Last edited by oinkerville; 10-04-2011 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add some more

Old 10-04-2011, 04:03 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkerville View Post
Dubuque is a lovely town as well but a bad choice not many jobs from what I remember.
I'm not doubting your experience in the least, but right now Dubuque has a 5.4% unemployment rate, and ranks 20th out of 372 US metro areas.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:40 PM

The fact that alot of ppl. are moving to NC is not something we find attractive. It is overpriced and overpopulated. Texas..way to hot and to many illegals. Just being honest. The tourist industry near Galena seems alive and well. With all those historic homes for my husband to renovate! We spoke to a builder from Dubuque he stated that they are bidding on 10-15 jobs a day or so out that way! That sure is alot more than we have here in Maryland. One other thing about NC the pay is LOW..but the cost of living is high..they do not match up. I was not aware of the unemployment rate in Dubuque..I like it even better now! Thanks David!!
We have not totally given up on Missouri..I need to investigate further. I do like the area around St. Louis..I think I would like that weather better also. It is hard as you may all know to pickup and leave everything you know...especially with children in tow....have to make the right choices for all of us.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:25 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
I would move to Galena in a heartbeat if I could. Studying prices of homes in Galena for years, I'd say the price is right now and you wouldn't lose. Porperty taxes or horrible though. If my ranch would sell I would move. It isn't on the market because I doubt it would sell in today's economy. I live close to Missouri and would say Galena is where I'd pick between the two.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:43 PM

Debbie, can you give me some reasons you would move? Do you need employment? Have children? anything like that? Why would you pick it over Missouri? We own a home also, most likely we will rent it out, and look to rent in Galena (or the area). We won't be buying for awile..thanks

Old 10-05-2011, 06:47 AM

Our children are grown with children of their own. Husband qualifies for retirement so no need of a job. Property taxes is what holds us back. I do love my ranch here but in no mood to take care of cows for the rest of my life. It is way too hot in OK, and MO or AR. In MO as here you will have ticks and chiggers galore. In Galena you have beauty, lots to do, not some long drawn out hotter than you know what type summer. Plus I have lots of friends in that area from living there twice. Not being really attached to one State or another because of my husband's job of moving all the time, I've lived in several State. Now at retirement age I see the area as lots to do and I personally love snow.

Property taxes are ridiculous in IL. in my opinion. In Galena you pay about 2 times the price of the house like I mean 2000 on every 100,000 thousand house. Here you would pay about 600 or if a ranch 400 on every 100,000 worth of a house. Adding that up counts in retirement. Of course, I doubt a ranch in this economy would be selling over night and I am not in the mood for a bunch of lookie loos so it isn't even on the market.

Having to outweigh taxes vs. location is what were doing at present.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Our children are grown with children of their own. Husband qualifies for retirement so no need of a job. Property taxes is what holds us back. I do love my ranch here but in no mood to take care of cows for the rest of my life. It is way too hot in OK, and MO or AR. In MO as here you will have ticks and chiggers galore. In Galena you have beauty, lots to do, not some long drawn out hotter than you know what type summer. Plus I have lots of friends in that area from living there twice. Not being really attached to one State or another because of my husband's job of moving all the time, I've lived in several State. Now at retirement age I see the area as lots to do and I personally love snow.

Property taxes are ridiculous in IL. in my opinion. In Galena you pay about 2 times the price of the house like I mean 2000 on every 100,000 thousand house. Here you would pay about 600 or if a ranch 400 on every 100,000 worth of a house. Adding that up counts in retirement. Of course, I doubt a ranch in this economy would be selling over night and I am not in the mood for a bunch of lookie loos so it isn't even on the market.

Having to outweigh taxes vs. location is what were doing at present.
How are the taxes in Iowa or Wisconsin compared to NW Illinois? I could find charming towns in IA & WI that are a short distance to Galena.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:45 PM

Not sure about Iowa but I do know Wisconsin is pretty bad too. Not too sure now long the Wis. governor will be around but it is his goal to cut that to make Wis. easier to move to. Now, forget IL. they have just raised their income tax too so they have no intentions of cutting. Some of the problems are that people in the big cities see lots of reasons and there is for great roads and etc. but out in the county, the county people do not care about such stuff. Well, actually, I am not sure why those areas have Hugh property taxes but living in many States, IL. was the biggest.

I guess you have to justify paying it and living in a place you want to as appose to living in a cheaper area that your not as crazy about. I do have Northern NM and Southern Co on my list and they are pretty low in property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois