Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 8,769 times

Advertisements

We may have a chance to relocate if hubby get a job in Southern, IL (YAY!)

The job is in Marissa, IL and we are looking for something around that area thinking maybe Belleville, or around St. Louis.

Need recommendations on safe, diverse areas (we are an interracial couple with bi-racial children), with good schools and somewhere that I will have no problem finding a job as well.

We will be renting at first so if anyone can offer any property management company info, or suggest a Realtor who has properties for rent that would be great as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 03:41 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
It is a Village of approximately 2000 in St. Clair County that is overwhelmingly white with 2.6% "others". It is most likely a conservative Republican, Christian community as are most of our tiny Illinois communiites.

Based on your criteria I think Collinsville may well meet your needs. You will have major shopping in St. Louis. Your bonus is Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. It is one of the only two Top 25 ranked US Hospitals in the Midwest. The other hospital is Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. .

You will also find Trader Joe's, Costco and Whole Foods in St. Louis as well as the famous Zoo, botanical garden and Grants Farm where the Budweiser horses are stabled. It is an excellent area with beautiful scenery to enrich your children's lives and learning experience.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,769 times
Thanks for your help so far!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
What is your source for the "one of only two" line?

Lots of hospitals in the Chicago region have very well regarded departments / specialties:
Best Hospitals in Chicago, IL - US News Best Hospitals

I am sure Barnes and Mayo are fine institutions, but unless some one has redrawn the Midwest to exclude Michigan & Ohio I think the "boast" is inaccurate by this list : http://health.usnews.com/health-news...the-honor-roll Frankly I question the value of most of the these "brag lists" -- if you are ill in Chicago the combined skills of the staff at UIC Med Center, Rush, Northwestern, UofC, and Loyola are all less than an hours drive away and ought to blow away any advantage to having some super regional ranking...

Last edited by chet everett; 09-20-2011 at 05:59 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
US News 25 Top Hospitals in the US consistenty ranks Barnes and Mayo as the only two hospitals in the Midwest in the Top 25.

The OP is moving to an area near St. Louis. I hardly think they are going to drive a sick child 300 miles to Chicago, but I could be wrong. Children's and Washington in St. Louis also have good reps, but they were not in the Top 25 last year and neither was Chicago or Peoria, or Ohio or Michigan hospitals.

The only hospital in Illinois that treats more children than OSF-Peoria is in Chicago. The only hospital in Illinois that is affiliated with St. Judes Childreh's Research Hospitals (10), Easter Seals and Shriners Childrens Hospitals (22) is OSF-Peoria.

Last edited by linicx; 09-20-2011 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois