U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 AM

1,600 posts, read 3,019,911 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm from Seattle WA. I'm just curious about Lanark ILL because that is where my Grandmother was born on Oct 2, 1868. What is Lanark like?
My Grandmother's maiden name was Eurilla Ann Benkley before she married William T. Morgan in 1895. Are there any Benkley's or Morgan's in Lanark that may have these roots?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 10:50 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,137,791 times
I use to live just north of Lanark. It is a cute, old, quaint town. Very much like Mount Carroll or any of the small towns in that area. Any old timers would know who your talking about. Everyone knows everyone.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:54 AM

11,537 posts, read 29,019,341 times
You said your grandparents married 106-years ago in Lenark. How many children did they have? Who are their parents? What Township did they live in? Is there a County Historical Society?

Many of the counties in Illinois during that particular era have a biographical type of encyclopedia for the county. Farming was a hard life. Birth and death prior to 1916 were not registered. Today you find those records in church records, funeral home records, county court records, military records,and farmers grange records. Much os this is already in the county library. The town librarian will be able to find many records. You will be surprised at the number of cousins you might find who do not know you are related.

I would certainly start with the town librarian. Post in the county where Lenark is located on USGenWeb Illinois. It was more than a year before I connected with a distant cousin that knew the family history. I eventually made contact with a Township historian who actually knew the wife of the youngest child. I am related through marriage to half the people in the township where my great-grandparents lived; they married in 1869. Today most of my lines have died out.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:38 AM

1,600 posts, read 3,019,911 times
Well, it seems, as was told to me, my grandparents were quite religious. They were members of a church denomination called 'The Brethern'. This denomination was called 'anti-baptist' along with the 'Amish' and 'Mininites'. The Brethern was the most liberal of the three.
At about this time, Samual Hill, the railroad builder, was promoting migration to the Pacific Northwest.
The minister of the Brethern Church was encouraging his congregation to move 'outwest'. My grandparents, with others, followed his encouragement and a new Brethern Church was established in a farming community in the Yakima Valley, Sunnyside Washington.
To this day, the Brethern Church is one of the stronger churches in Sunnyside WA. Unfortunately the original church was demolished to be replaced by a modern structure.
Actually the Brethern Churches are quit strong on the Eastside of the Cascade Mountains, but not so in the urban areas west of the mountains.
The next question is, are there any Brethern Churches in Lanark?
Apparently the Brethern Church movement into the West all began from Lanark.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 AM

11,537 posts, read 29,019,341 times
My ggg.grandfather attended a Brethern church in Fulton county in IL I believe the name was changed before he died in 1910.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,500 times
Default Morgan family

My husband grew up in Lanark, I asked him your question. He wasn't familiar with the last name Benkley, but he said there are/were a lot of Morgan's. He had no idea of the family tree though to ask him more questions. It's a beautiful, friendly town. Population is just under 1500. It's a great place to raise a family.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:15 PM

4,676 posts, read 4,792,732 times
It is in Carroll County, which is in northwest Illinois. If you blink you'll miss it. My great uncle lives in Lanark and my parents own a second home right up the road from Lanark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois