Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,592 times

Advertisements

I am a 23 year old African American female possibly moving to IL for work with UICU. I have never been to IL or anywhere near the university and I need some advice on places to possibly live, cost of living, ethnic diversity and so on. I read a couple threads on here today and to be honest, Im a bit frightened. Considering the fact that most of the post dated back to 2008 I am not sure if the opinions of the individuals are still valid so I just wanted to post something new.

Some of my concerns are as mentioned are the cost of living near or not too far away from campus as well as ethnic diversity and attractions for people my age. Being from Miami small towns can sometimes be a bit slow to me. I am aware that some towns in the area aren't as diversified as say Miami or California just as an example but I would like some idea of what I could potentially be walking into. Any help or advice would definitely be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 07:36 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
What you are walking into is corn and soybeans. IL is an AG state: the #1 producer of soybeans, and the #2 producer of corn, #5 hog production, cattle. other grains and other products. .

Now talk a deep breath and relax. UofI has something akin to 35,000 students and teachers. If you don't want to live in a sports, tailgate party, screaming Illini fans... live in Urbana. If you find the bus scedule you might be able to get a bus door to door. The house will probably cost you 1/3 to 1/2 more than an apartment and you have to mow the grass, shovel snow off the driveway, paint and pay the taxes. If you live in the South, our real estate taxes will probably give youa heart attack, but you get a big bang for your $$$.

What you are going to move into (between UI, B-N, Springfield and Peoria) is the wealthiest section of Illinois outside of Chicago. You can hop the Amtrak and go to Chicago or St. Louis or Springfield or B-N to shop. You need a car to come to Peoria. All the towns except Peoria are in the Plains of Illinois. You are essentially surrounded by farms, cattle and wind farms. Peoria is an entirely different breed of cat. It isn't flat. It faces the largest and longest river in the state, it has the oldest and largest park district in the state. At 60 sq. mi., it is larger than the City of Peoria. It is an award winning park and so is the Peoria Zoo. I think I think C-u is the only one of the four ciies that does not have a zoo. Peoria offers trolley tours through its 20 Historic Districts. There is plenty to eat, do, buy and see in Peoria.

Springfield is the capitol city. Lincoln was Circut Rider that had a home there and went to Washinton. There is a ton of Lincoln relics in the area. Conversely, if you go to Eureka - which is midway between Bloomington and Peoria on IL Route 24, you'll find a items that are in no other place in the world that belonged to Ronald Reagan at the Eureka College (Top 25 ranked college in America) Then you can follow the highways and byways as you re-trace the route Regan traveled to his grandmother's home near the MIssissippi River.

B-N is a beceautiful area fueled by business, insurance companies and ISU and its 23,000 students. It has one of the 13 best Acutuary programs in North America. If you floow US 136 weat untul it stops (about 50 miles) you enter into the largest Inland Wetlands Refuge in America.

If you like Christmas holidays Illinois will knock your sox off when you get involved - especially if you like bigger than life light displays. As a whole Illinois has very good food and decent medical care, but if you are critical get to Barnes-Jewish in St. Louis as it is the closest of two Top-25 ranked hospitals in the US in the Midwest. The other is Mayo Clinic in Minnnesota.

Most little rural farm towns in America are clannish and boring. C-U is not far from Arthur a Amish or Menonite town. I don't know what the other towns offer interms of entertainment or what you are looking for. Peoria has Broadway series, opera company, ballet companies, every kind of musiican you can imaagine, one of the oldest juried art fairs in Illinois, river cruises for a short trip a day, weekend or longer, horse drawn carriage rides, nearly every sport known in the Midest - can you believe Frisbe Golf??? There is a dozen grocery stores, deli or two, several shopping centers, two malls, boutique shopping, boutique hotel, night clubs, indy movie theater, the 4th oldest summer stock theater in America. and lots of events all year that range from silly - the rubber ducky race - to TT Final and a religious community every bit as diverse as Chicago.

Peoria is a very diverse community with a large AA population. Peoria is ariver town that is the oldest continued settlement in the state and the largest city on the IL river. It was built on the backs of black, yellow red, brown and white labor. You will find obnoxious pretentious snobs, rude and unkind people, but you will also fin people how love you for yourself.

I live in a farm town that happens to have black, yellow, red and white residents. No one cares. Now if you come into town buck necked with covered with green stripes and pink hair you will get a lot of stares. I guarantee it. I go the clannish treatment when I moved to town. When I got tired of it, I went to the store where everyone congretated for free coffee and announced I moved in, I was going to stay and I was going to spend money in their store; to get over it. And they did. I knew a secret they did not. I lived in the town 30-years earlier. Chnose your battles wisely because most of us can't win that war. it is not unusual to see bi-racial couples or even same-sex couples in in Illinois especially in the bigger cities. Central Illinois is not deep south; the very southern part of the state nearer the KY border is not a place you want to be ... and I-74 I think will get you not far from Champaign. You're gonna be fine. Moving is nothing more than the beginning of a new life chapter. Life is constant change; you learn to adjust and adapt as needed.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
^^ What the hell? The OP didn't ask about agricultural output, Springfield, Peoria, or Bloomington-Normal. She's not moving here to be a farmer and she won't be working in B-N or Peoria or Springfield.

OP, first thing you need to know is that it' UIUC, not UICU. It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. In colloquial use, Champaign usually comes first when lumping the two together, as in "Champaign-Urbana." But the official title of the school is "The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign."

Second... coming from Miami, you'll be in for serious culture shock. There' just no way around it. There is some cultural diversity to be had in the university community -- it is a world-class research institution after all. Outside the university area, the cities are predominantly white with a small but visible and cohesive black community. Hispanics are making some inroads, but you'll be in no danger of not being able to find your way around if your only language is English.

As for cost of living... coming from Miami, this should be the least of your concerns. Apartments can get a little pricey near campus for obvious supply-and-demand reasons, but even "pricey" isn't very pricey compared to Miami. You can buy a perfectly habitable house within a couple miles of campus for under 100K.

Based on your apprehension and how much your comfort level is impacted by the physical and cultural environment around you, this had better be either an exceptional career opportunity, a short-term situation, or both, to make it worth your while. From Miami -- or any major metro for that matter -- to Chambana is a serious downsizing in every conceivable way; so much so that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't actively looking for such a downsizing or at a minimum won't be bothered by it.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:40 PM

@Linicx, thank you so much for your response. I do appreciate the background and history lesson on the town and its surrounding communities. Your description allowed me to paint a picture, in my head at least of what possibly the area looks like and the atmosphere. Everything you mentioned was very helpful. Without a doubt I am a outspoken individual and extrovert would be an understatement. So going into town just as my normal self would probably stir up the pot. Maybe I shall visit the area one day, just a short vacation but not to live, neither short term or permanantly.

@Drover, you are indeed a bull dozer in a china shop I appreciate your response as well. More along the lines of what I was asking. You are absolutely right about this having to be a exceptional career opportunity or short-term situation. I am unsure if it is either. I moved to Auburn, AL last fall for graduate school at Auburn Univ. and this town has driven me crazy. I am incredibly bored. And according to a few of my friends, this place isn't as bad as some others. I think its a combination of the "small town" atmosphere and missing my family that I struggle with. After reading up on the area and then the responses I received on here I am almost 100 % positive that there has to be some substantial amount of money involved to convince me to move there (highly doubtful). Im still young and 100% city girl breed so I just might have to consider some alternatives. Nonetheless, thank you for your response and I will have made a decision in the next coming months or so.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:44 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I don't mean to paint Champaign-Urbana as some hayseed town. Having a giant, state flagship university there does give it a cultural dimension that you won't find in a similar-sized town in the area such as Decatur or Springfield. Still... it's no Miami. That's more the point I was trying to get across, and for someone who needs a Miami-type atmosphere to thrive, C-U is going to be a challenge, especially in the long term.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Since you're from Miami, you will probably find life in Champaign slow and the diversity lacking. That isn't to say that it isn't a decent town, it's just going to be much different than Miami. There is diversity and entertainment, just not on the size or scale you may be used to (although C/U probably has more going on than Auburn). The plus sides: cost of living is quite inexpensive, and you are only a couple of hours from Chicago, St. Louis or Indianapolis, if you are looking for trips to a city.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:14 PM

I totally understood what you were trying to say. I haven't made any final decisions as of yet so my options are still open. Yes, Miami is very different, probably different for every state in the US and most similar to LA if that. So I know I won't be able to find everything Miami has to offer in another state but Im sure I can and will find a piece of home anywhere if I look hard enough. Long term is almost 90% not on the table as far as IL, just because Im new to my career and definitely do not want to settle so soon. Im basically testing the waters so IL could possibly be cool for a little while and if not, I can always pick up and leave. Thanks for all your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't mean to paint Champaign-Urbana as some hayseed town. Having a giant, state flagship university there does give it a cultural dimension that you won't find in a similar-sized town in the area such as Decatur or Springfield. Still... it's no Miami. That's more the point I was trying to get across, and for someone who needs a Miami-type atmosphere to thrive, C-U is going to be a challenge, especially in the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois