Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:14 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,268 times

Advertisements

Here's a Youtube page for a Jennifer Ketchmark, a Champaign-Urbana weather reporter from Sullivan, Illinois. Her accent is not untypical for the part of Central Illinois just south of Champaign-Urbana.
YouTube - jenniferketchmark's Channel

I actually like the way she sounds, and I'm originally a Chicagoan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 02:27 AM

38 posts, read 135,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Leevank - I've always called it a 'parkway' but I have no idea where I got that term.
I've always called it the median.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:31 AM

38 posts, read 135,526 times
Also, Leevank mentioned the "aunt/ant" difference — I always cringed whenever I heard Will Smith refer to his "AWWWn-tie Viv" on the Fresh Prince. I always thought that was a NYC/Philly/Boston thing. It just sounds stupid to me. I like our way better.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:56 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
In these here parts the median is the strip between a divided 4-lane highway.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:30 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhitts View Post
Also, Leevank mentioned the "aunt/ant" difference — I always cringed whenever I heard Will Smith refer to his "AWWWn-tie Viv" on the Fresh Prince. I always thought that was a NYC/Philly/Boston thing. It just sounds stupid to me. I like our way better.
My cousins from Boston used to make fun of me for saying 'aunt' the midwestern way, like 'ant' when I was growing up. Looking at the way the word is spelt, it probably should be pronounced 'awnt', but that is just how regionalisms roll.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhitts View Post
A lot of Minnesotans say "awnt". Go figure.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,059 times
I was born in southern Illinois, my dad's from southern Indiana and my mom Western Kentucky and there's definitely a pretty southern twang in my family's speech! For instance instead of wash my parents have always said "warsh," and instead of shower "shar"...

Old 01-19-2011, 05:26 PM

105 posts, read 298,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukis View Post
I was born in southern Illinois, my dad's from southern Indiana and my mom Western Kentucky and there's definitely a pretty southern twang in my family's speech! For instance instead of wash my parents have always said "warsh," and instead of shower "shar"...
What part of Southern IL? Grew up in Union County.

Yes, there is definately a bit of twang there. My family talks the same way as Saluki mentioned. "warsh" and "shar". Never you all, it's always "ya'll".

Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 PM

9 posts, read 25,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkc View Post
I've lived in southern Illinois my entire life, I just started college and a good portion of the students are from the Chicago area, everyone always comments that I have an accent. I find this kind of interesting, thing is, I can't tell I have an accent. So what I'm wondering is what exactly is the southern Illinois accent? Because I can't notice it.
A southern accent?

What do you call lunch and what do you call dinner er the big meal you eat at last? or are supposed to?

Old 01-20-2011, 12:45 PM

105 posts, read 298,048 times
dinner and supper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois