Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:22 AM

7 posts, read 87,978 times

Advertisements

I moved to Chicago from Florida. In Florida you can have an out-of-state address on a FL license. In fact, my Florida-issued license has my Chicago address. Florida also allows you to have a part-time/seasonal license if you are a licensed driver of another state.

In Illinois you can only have an IL license with an IL address. According to Illinois tax law, since IL is my domicile, I'm considered an Illinois resident. That said, it conflicts with what the laws are regarding my license.

My initial questions are:

1. Am I doing anything illegal?
2. In which state am I considered a resident (legally)?

I ask b/c I own a car registered in Florida (but garaged in IL) that would have to undergo costly modifications to be street legal as an IL car (window tint is too dark, exhaust might be questionable). On a side note, I think that the tine laws here are beyond ridiculous, but that's another thread.

I'd like to vote and be a "real" citizen but I don't want to spend (waste) my time/money to make my car (which I drive for recreation--I'm a heavy CTA user) comply to repugnant laws.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 12:25 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,888 times

Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 AM

7 posts, read 87,978 times
By "doing anything illegal" I mean in IL. Florida laws allow me to do what I'm doing by having a FL license w/ a Chicago address but it seems to conflict IL laws.

I know it's a bizarre situation! : /

Old 01-05-2011, 12:37 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,888 times
If you drive that car on Illinois roads prepare to be ticketed unless you make it street legal.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 52,102 times
I have a similar situation, little different and need help also, I am now living in Illinois temporarily on a 2 year work project, I moved out of the apt in Ohio but still consider Ohio my home and will return but I have an Ohio drivers license W/ CDL just obtained a year ago too at $4000.00 for school and all and now the DMV in Illinois said I have to get a big truck and retest and pay $150.00 to retest or I lose my CDL and I just bought a SUV here and dont want to lose my CDL by applying for new registration and license, I thought I could just register this SUV here and keep my Ohio license ?? Help

Old 04-23-2011, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 52,102 times
Is there A LOOP HOLE SOMEWHERE to avoid all these losses ?

Old 04-24-2011, 04:19 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willr12 View Post
I moved to Chicago from Florida. In Florida you can have an out-of-state address on a FL license. In fact, my Florida-issued license has my Chicago address. Florida also allows you to have a part-time/seasonal license if you are a licensed driver of another state.

In Illinois you can only have an IL license with an IL address. According to Illinois tax law, since IL is my domicile, I'm considered an Illinois resident. That said, it conflicts with what the laws are regarding my license.

My initial questions are:

1. Am I doing anything illegal?
2. In which state am I considered a resident (legally)?

I ask b/c I own a car registered in Florida (but garaged in IL) that would have to undergo costly modifications to be street legal as an IL car (window tint is too dark, exhaust might be questionable). On a side note, I think that the tine laws here are beyond ridiculous, but that's another thread.

I'd like to vote and be a "real" citizen but I don't want to spend (waste) my time/money to make my car (which I drive for recreation--I'm a heavy CTA user) comply to repugnant laws.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
So let me guess- your car cant pass emissions right
Florida probably has lax laws because the influx of snowbirds in that state.

I guess what is more important to you , your car with tint or being able to throw your vote in important issues which will effect your life.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:35 AM

7 posts, read 33,545 times
i think since the state laws conflict with each other, you should take it up with federal law, and if you get a ticket, appeal to the highest court possible! lol i dunno.

Illinois cops are going to hassle you regardless because you live there, so you have to play by their rules. I think that takes precedent over the old law but im not sure. I just moved here from Georgia and I just think its wise to change it over to IL within the 30 day grace period

Old 04-24-2011, 08:48 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife2011 View Post
i think since the state laws conflict with each other, you should take it up with federal law, and if you get a ticket, appeal to the highest court possible! lol i dunno.

Illinois cops are going to hassle you regardless because you live there, so you have to play by their rules. I think that takes precedent over the old law but im not sure. I just moved here from Georgia and I just think its wise to change it over to IL within the 30 day grace period
why not switch it over to the Illinois rules. regardless the person lives in Illinois.

i seriously believe he cant pass emissions or trying to skirt the tint rule
if he resides in Illinois the majority part of the year isnt that the state of principle residence?

Could really care less what he wants to do but i find the subject funny.
window tint and a florida license with a chicago address from florida

and they think illinois is a messed up state!
lol too on this whole scenario

I wonder if the car is plated in illinois of fla- that may buck the emissions rule

Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 24,560 times
Actually, if you have a residence elsewhere you do not have to have IL license. My insurance lady from State Farm told me that of the 3 forms, (your drivers license, your plate, and your Registration) 2 of them have to be from the same state. Can't have 3 from 3 different states. I also moved from Georgia but still have a Georgia residence, therefore I am not getting my IL license until I absolutely have to. Since I am going to vote, I will be filling out an absentee ballot. Being from southern Illinois, we do not have emissions rules..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois