Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:20 AM

223 posts, read 754,497 times

Advertisements

Illinois
> Building permits/total housing units: 0.09%
> Decline in building permits 2005-2011: -84.18% (3rd largest)
> Building permits 2011 YTD: 4,897
> Total housing units: 5,296,715

Illinois has seen an almost 85% decrease in new housing permits since 2005. This is the third largest drop in the country.

Read more: States Where No One Wants To Buy A New Home - 24/7 Wall St. States Where No One Wants To Buy A New Home - 24/7 Wall St.

My guess is that high property taxes (especially for new construction) is one of the reasons Illinois ranks so high...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 03:02 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,067,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandre View Post
Illinois
> Building permits/total housing units: 0.09%
> Decline in building permits 2005-2011: -84.18% (3rd largest)
> Building permits 2011 YTD: 4,897
> Total housing units: 5,296,715

Illinois has seen an almost 85% decrease in new housing permits since 2005. This is the third largest drop in the country.

Read more: States Where No One Wants To Buy A New Home - 24/7 Wall St. States Where No One Wants To Buy A New Home - 24/7 Wall St.

My guess is that high property taxes (especially for new construction) is one of the reasons Illinois ranks so high...
More likely a glut of inventory on the market
does everyone buy into the media!

Did you also know the area led the nation last month in home purchases
Didnt see that in the article because they like to SPIN
Positive news doesnt sell only the negative
But hey they have you hook line and sinker

Old 08-22-2011, 03:37 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,104,201 times
First of all the people who write this wonderfully negative material to sell advertising, never set foot in Illinois. And I would bet they never talked to any Board of Realtors in any our areas. This group is very sensitive to the houseing market espectially new starts and national trends. Having said this according to the local PAAR Board, last month Peoria was #10 on a national list of best places to buy.

I also want to make the point that the housing market has not bottomed out completely, yet. The last number I saw said 40M houses would be foreclosed when it was over. Fortunately for us, not ever city, village and town in America is failing. Yes, there is a glut of housing stock.and a large portion that has been on the market for a long time will be razed because it is uninhabitable.

I saw that four years ago. Most it was caused by mortgages being sold globally. The off-shore companies would not allow necessary repairs to keep a house dry. it is sad to see a well build house with water pouring in through the roof - especially when a piece of heavy plasic and a couple of 1x2s would temporarily stop the problem before more damage was done. These are the houses that cannot be inspected prior to sale and should not be purchased.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,553,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
More likely a glut of inventory on the market
does everyone buy into the media!

Did you also know the area led the nation last month in home purchases
Didnt see that in the article because they like to SPIN
Positive news doesnt sell only the negative
But hey they have you hook line and sinker
Yep, and interesting on the home purchases stat. Where did you read that?

Old 08-22-2011, 04:30 PM

223 posts, read 754,497 times
I didn't think it was that negative of an article. The premise of the article is not that nobody wants to buy a home in Illinois, but rather than not a lot of people want to build/buy a new home in Illinois (and honestly they shouldn't, there such great deals to be had given the existing glut of homes)

Remember new homes represent just a small portion of the housing market. I think the market in general will recover way before new home sales...

Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandre View Post
I didn't think it was that negative of an article. The premise of the article is not that nobody wants to buy a home in Illinois, but rather than not a lot of people want to build/buy a new home in Illinois (and honestly they shouldn't, there such great deals to be had given the existing glut of homes)

Remember new homes represent just a small portion of the housing market. I think the market in general will recover way before new home sales...
sure seemed negative to me but i guess we can all read into things different
the so called journalists twist and contort these figures all the time
one of the worst offenders to illinois is forbes as they slant most things to the east coast and discount the midwest in general

To me the journalists are not showing the full picture the older i get the more I dont pay any attention to media granted there are some trustworhy sites and still some top rated journalists out there some of the stuff is just filler to grab your attention and to sell their ad space

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way - people complain about the taxes and such here in Illinois - personally i dont think its that bad
and then its brought up over and over on these boards

guess that is why we have these forums so we can voice opinions
but to me of course the new housing will show a decrease overall , that is just commone sense

Old 08-22-2011, 11:05 PM

767 posts, read 2,057,308 times
Our property taxes went up this year by 10% even though housing values in this area decreased by at least that much over the past couple of years. Once again, state and local government in Illlinois bullies the people into submission (sort of like the 67% state income tax increase that the legislature passed right after elections last year and the state STILL can't pay its bills!!). We have a bunch of rotten crumbs running this state and I can't wait to move.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:20 AM

Well in defense of Illinois the state still has a lower tax burden than a little more than half of the states.

No fan of Quinn by any measure but the tax rate has not swayed me to pull up stakes and move because of a 2% rise in a tax that was one of the lowest in the nation.
And now is still in check. And its going to get worse because the federal govt is pulling dollars to the states and shifting the burden. So these so called low tax states that have a positive sheet
will be fewer than they are right now.
You cant get services for free , it just doesnt happen and wont happen
in addition the low tax states sometimes dont take from your front pocket but will take your money from your back pocket with a user fee of somekind
no free lunch

Yes the state needs some reforms and the crumbs you discuss are all across these united states

Illinois is not alone in fiscal problems the whole country is in fiscal trouble and very few states have a balance sheet that is running positive

Dont kid yourself some states have crumbling infrastructure, lack of police and fire protection, lack of school funding, lack of public parks the list can go on and on

It is discouraging to see comments like this on this forum as most of us are proud to be from Illinois

In my eyes its a great place did the tax hike kill me no , maybe it helped a few extra kids who are in worse shape than what I am in right now.

The police are still patrolling my neighborhood , the roads are still smooth and if i have home fire I kow the rescue team will be here in a flash.

These are cyclical times and the grass is not always greener and sometimes you have to look back and then realize what you had was not so bad

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 08-23-2011 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: added comment

Old 08-23-2011, 06:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,104,201 times
Amen, suunnyancloudydays. The low tax states that look so appearling do not have a major player city, nor 13M residents, nor 102 counties, nor a great medical system, nor a very good school system. Il education really sucks until you live in church conrolled state where football uniforms are more important than Math. If the school board wants uniforms or a new school the parents are blackmailed: "We really WANT _____ and if we can't have it then the schoo sports and all extra curricular programs will be suspended indefinately." Guess how parents vote? Personal taxes pay for schools and it often equals the same amount as the property tax .. at least most residents pay their share of taxes to support the schools. The elderly and handicapped get the least services. Sick kids .... well it's left up to the parents. If you don't have money you trust your kids care to doctors who should not be licensed. The doctors from India may be well trained but they zero compassion and the bedside manner of a rutting ***. Most of these poor hospitals hire mulims instead of Americans to work in the office. It's more than sad when you cannot trust original records to be returned in a hospital that is staffed by muslims -- and a University Hospital at that.
Let\s be clear here. I have had enough exposure to Indian doctors and muslim staff that I don't like either a medical setting; I don't like the attitude. I'm very lucky to live in IL where I still have many choices when it comes to finding quality medical care.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:36 PM

767 posts, read 2,057,308 times
[quote=sunnyandcloudydays;20569640]Well in defense of Illinois the state still has a lower tax burden than a little more than half of the states.

No fan of Quinn by any measure but the tax rate has not swayed me to pull up stakes and move because of a 2% rise in a tax that was one of the lowest in the nation.
Yes the state needs some reforms and the crumbs you discuss are all across these united states

It is discouraging to see comments like this on this forum as most of us are proud to be from Illinois

There is a culture of corruption IL that is pervasive. It is not enough to simply say that the same thing happens everywhere else. Maybe I have spent too many years in Springfield, but it is difficult to marginalize the actions of peoiple like George Ryan, Blago, and Joe White (i.e., U of I admissions scandal) for starters ; not to mention the tollway contractors bribery scandal and our esteemed Jessie White appointment to Congress. Name another state besides possibly Lousiana that has had as many scandals in the past 10-15 years?' . All of this sounds more like a backass one license plate state and alot less like a civilized amd enlightened mecca of altruism.

Last edited by Central Illinois 1; 08-23-2011 at 06:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois