Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:45 PM

319 posts, read 604,077 times

Advertisements

Looks like these authors posit that Illinois is among the worst run states in America. Looking at the Illinois numbers, compared to Nevada's, I'd take 2nd-to-last Illinois anyday.

Best and Worst Run States in America — An Analysis Of All 50 - 24/7 Wall St.

They say in the article that the budget shortfalls due to Blago are partly responsible for the drop in credit rating. Perhaps we've been voting for Governors incorrectly the last few cycles, we should start getting ones who just got out of Jail instead of ones who haven't been there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 02:40 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,509,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope-C14 View Post
Looks like these authors posit that Illinois is among the worst run states in America. Looking at the Illinois numbers, compared to Nevada's, I'd take 2nd-to-last Illinois anyday.

Best and Worst Run States in America — An Analysis Of All 50 - 24/7 Wall St.

They say in the article that the budget shortfalls due to Blago are partly responsible for the drop in credit rating. Perhaps we've been voting for Governors incorrectly the last few cycles, we should start getting ones who just got out of Jail instead of ones who haven't been there yet.
Credit rating might not be a big deal until your credit score comes into the mix.
After S&P Downgraded the whole US everyones credit score dropped by 20ish (More Severe in States like Illinois lighter in states like Indiana)

Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I guess I don't have to point out IL is the 5th most populated state and this is not going to turn into a Il vs IN thread.

Every legislator should be fired for lettlng RodBlog live in Chicago at the taxpayers expense. If you want to live in Chicago do not run for Governor! The state planes were sold and the state taxi has been curtailed. Blogo should have been riding Amtrack every day at his own expense.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:04 PM

I read most of it. The housing market is still in free fall in most states. The next gov from Chicago won't do any better than the last one or the next one. The stripe won't make any difference. It's going to be a long climb out of this black hole with a lot of people hurt in the process. .

Old 12-08-2011, 08:10 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,256,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I read most of it. The housing market is still in free fall in most states. The next gov from Chicago won't do any better than the last one or the next one. The stripe won't make any difference. It's going to be a long climb out of this black hole with a lot of people hurt in the process. .
Time for term limits and a non-partisan map for re-districitng. I won't hold my breath. It's as futile as waiting for pension reform for State Employees.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:51 AM

I don't diagree that state pensions are a mess. What to do is the question. The problem as I see it is the Pension Plans of say the early 1980s don't reflect the business climate or the financial state in 2011,. Some can be converted to Roth or even to a 401 k, but once that happens the legislators can't bprrpw against it. The well has dried up and nearly 250 Fortune 500 companies are not paying their fair share of Income Tax. How long do they continue to get a free pass to make their billion dollar mergers at our expense?

It is a difficult tightrope to walk. .

Old 12-08-2011, 03:20 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
Quote:
I guess I don't have to point out IL is the 5th most populated state and this is not going to turn into a Il vs IN thread.

Every legislator should be fired for lettlng RodBlog live in Chicago at the taxpayers expense. If you want to live in Chicago do not run for Governor! The state planes were sold and the state taxi has been curtailed. Blogo should have been riding Amtrack every day at his own expense.
You're right in criticizing the state legislator, the members of which were the enablers regarding Blago. Regarding residency during term of office: Jim Thompson probably spent more time living/working in Chicago instead of Springfield when he was Governor. Particularly so the latter 2/3 of his years in office. Oh, yea, he'd wear his Oshkosh bib overalls and have a piece of hay sticking from his mouth and talk with a southern drawl when he was at the State Fair or trying to cozy up to the central/southern Illinois folks. It was all a game. He preferred his antique shops and pin stripe suits and apartments/home in Chicago and the state paid for his travel back and forth, etc.

Joe Biden might be the best known pol who used Amtrak and public transportation to go to/from work almost daily. Not in Illinois, but it was an excellent example. Though, he was a U.S. Senator.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:57 PM

2,659 posts, read 3,854,752 times
Quote:
I don't diagree that state pensions are a mess. What to do is the question. The problem as I see it is the Pension Plans of say the early 1980s don't reflect the business climate or the financial state in 2011,. Some can be converted to Roth or even to a 401 k, but once that happens the legislators can't bprrpw against it. The well has dried up and nearly 250 Fortune 500 companies are not paying their fair share of Income Tax. How long do they continue to get a free pass to make their billion dollar mergers at our expense?

It is a difficult tightrope to walk. .

Oh Come On - enough already with the "pay fair share of tax" BS.

We have a spending problem, NOT a revenue problem. Why do some people continue to think throwing more money at government will do ANY good?

You ***** about government and industry in the same post. You can't have it both ways. Stop the politics of envy and start figuring out how to impove your lot in life. Do not sweat so much about stealing from others through the corrupt power of government.

And No I am not "rich."

Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 AM

How dare you suggest you know anything about me or my lot in life!

State pensions are not tied to the milk of Mother Business. It IS tied to a different era when an office call to the doctor was $20 not $200. Pensions were smaller, seniors were dying younger. Retirement perks were plenty when they should have been "forward looking."

IF companies like the four largest telcos in America do not pay taxes why should any American? We do not need roads or bridges repaired. We do not need to replace aging schools, or rail track. We don't need to repair, replace or expand runways at ORD. Chicago and Cook County always has enough money for salt, sand, and equipment to clear runways, tollroads, interstate, state roads and major country roads when nature dumps 18" snows. We don't need to replace any track in or out of Union Station or track usd by the L trains or replace any of its aging cars either. We do not need to maintain public housing nor WIC or any other type of federal program for children, seniors or handicapped/military. We certainly do not need FEMA help or money to clean up after a major natural catastrophy.

After five years of no taxes for anyone we will be the United States of ? There will not be one. I am not suggesting that taxes be increased. I am suggesting the companies that use tax loopholes and fpreigh subsidies to avoid paying ANY TAX should pay their fair share while they are raising our prices to use their instant gratification services - a novelty we really do not need.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:40 PM

2,659 posts, read 3,854,752 times
Quote:
How dare you suggest you know anything about me or my lot in life!

State pensions are not tied to the milk of Mother Business. It IS tied to a different era when an office call to the doctor was $20 not $200. Pensions were smaller, seniors were dying younger. Retirement perks were plenty when they should have been "forward looking."

IF companies like the four largest telcos in America do not pay taxes why should any American? We do not need roads or bridges repaired. We do not need to replace aging schools, or rail track. We don't need to repair, replace or expand runways at ORD. Chicago and Cook County always has enough money for salt, sand, and equipment to clear runways, tollroads, interstate, state roads and major country roads when nature dumps 18" snows. We don't need to replace any track in or out of Union Station or track usd by the L trains or replace any of its aging cars either. We do not need to maintain public housing nor WIC or any other type of federal program for children, seniors or handicapped/military. We certainly do not need FEMA help or money to clean up after a major natural catastrophy.

After five years of no taxes for anyone we will be the United States of ? There will not be one. I am not suggesting that taxes be increased. I am suggesting the companies that use tax loopholes and fpreigh subsidies to avoid paying ANY TAX should pay their fair share while they are raising our prices to use their instant gratification services - a novelty we really do not need.
You know what - You are right in regards to my comment about improving your lot. That was innapropriate and I apologize.

With regards to your assertion that there is need for more government revenue as opposed to challenging the bureacracy to be more efficient, wise and frugal with the tax payer dollar; I WILL NOT BACK DOWN.

Chicago; the state of IL and even the US are all rapidly becoming 3rd world in terms of government's ability to do anything. Most of the items you mention probably should be done by the private sector. Why not?

Why should government plow and salt roads? It can be contracted out.

The metra should be self financing. If it is not, why does it exist?
If it is a government subsidy to a relatively few users, it should be shut down. If it is economically viable, business will start up to serve the need - no worries there.
If there are enough riders, they wil have their train.
If there are not, so what, it just goes away.

It is time to change the paradigm that government is a viable solution. In most cases it is not.

There is absolutely no problem with a company or person using legal means to reduce or eliminate tax. That is ultimately the most American thing someone can do. We should do everything in our power to keep the evil beast at bay.

Don't argue with me that government is good, efficient and should even exist at 50% of the size is it is now. Society would be much better off (and richer) with out that beast of burden around it's neck.

I am sure there will now be some comment about how I advocate widows and children living in the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois