Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:11 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times

Advertisements

LOL
Yeah its kind of like the generic variety I can get at the local hardware store on sale. A nice mixture of grass seeds mixed in with some seeds of fine Midwestern Weeds!

Very validated points-
And certainly understand your comments. Never thought about your example but it makes sense about the state being unbalanced and other states are more balanced.

Kind of easy to hide a gorilla in the jungle harder to hide the gorilla in a field of snow..

I do not mind paying an extra dollar or two for the educational funds for children or infrastructure for the less privelaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 11:20 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The grass is not greener in another state. It isn't bluegrass and it's very often a variety of fescue.

Statewide IL residents generally [A] have access to a very good road system that criss-crosses the state, and we [b] are located not too inconveniently from major cities and national events such as the Indy 500 and Kentucky Derby, as well as lesser appreciated gems: Grants Farm, Arthur, IL., Amana Colonies, Door County and Cecil, Wi.. IL has an abundance of city and state parks, veru decent health laws and a generally good medical system, an historic and diverse culture, as well as having a large and divers religous community.

Been those places, have the shirt to prove it and I came back for the very reasons I left. Anyone who believes other state and city governments are not corrupt live in a very protected environment. The reason corruption is not as noticable in other states is because the population is more balanced statewide whereas Illinois is not only top heavy, it's home to the 3rd largest mMSA and the 5th largest population in the lower 48. IL spends more on K-12 education, spends more on hadicapped, sick and elderly than do the greener pastures low real estate tax states.

IL is by far the most corrupt state in the Union and it costs the people who live there millions and it is going to cost them millions more as the state sink further into it's own filth.

Just looking at my first Cook County property tax bill made it clear to me that the powers that be; go out of their way to steal your money and make you work hard to figure out why.

All states have one or two large metropolitan areas in relation to their population. That is an invalid reason for IL corruption.

It is corrupt because the people who live their, allow it to be corrupt.

Feeling good because you can show IL spends $ on elderly; does not prove that money is used efficiently and/or legally.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:23 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
IL is by far the most corrupt state in the Union and it costs the people who live there millions and it is going to cost them millions more as the state sink further into it's own filth.

Just looking at my first Cook County property tax bill made it clear to me that the powers that be; go out of their way to steal your money and make you work hard to figure out why.

All states have one or two large metropolitan areas in relation to their population. That is an invalid reason for IL corruption.

It is corrupt because the people who live their, allow it to be corrupt.

Feeling good because you can show IL spends $ on elderly; does not prove that money is used efficiently and/or legally.
I remember recently reading an article that North Dakota had the highest per capita corruption rate.

Edit, here you go, not as recent as I remembered though.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ptstates_N.htm

Last edited by Vlajos; 02-03-2012 at 11:45 AM..

Old 02-03-2012, 02:37 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
You don't live or work in Illinois. 'Nuff said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

J.

Last edited by linicx; 02-04-2012 at 01:56 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 04:23 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
Oh Pleez - Lived there enough years to understand how the joint works.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:47 PM

Right. And $3.00 will buy you a cup of coffee.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 4,547 times
Default Illinois OK but we are moving out.

My family is going to move this summer to Tennessee. One of the reasons are the taxes-both property and state income. We are tired of the cold,but you are used to that in Michigan. We are in the Springfield area, people are friendly, medical field jobs abundant, low housing prices, good schools. But there is nothing to do here except to watch the corn grow. Lived here all my life but we can visit the snow. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:15 PM

Good Luck to you and your move.

Central Illinois is a strange duck in that the four largest communiites do not work together or promote each other. As a result most people believe there are only one univesity, and two towns to visit: Chicago and Springfield - as this is what Illinois Tourism promotes.

Springfield is a political town in the middle of a prairie filled with corn, beans and cows. And it is isolated by its own design. Fifty miles in any direction does not get you any closer to an area as large as or larger than where you live.

Factually Peoria has a different vibe and it offers more to visitors because it has a nice mix of large and small communities close by. Its easy to take a cruise on the river, a historical trolley tour, or horse drawn carriage ride, shop til you drop, and you can even sleep with the wolves.

IL 97 N to 24 E to 29 N will not only get you there. You won't be on the boring Interstate, scenery is mostly green and natural, and you will pass through the largest Inland Wetlands Refuge in America. IL 29 will take you to the Riverfront where it began in the 17th century when Chicago was not founded but it was part of Peoria County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois