Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 02:21 PM

14 posts, read 41,546 times

Advertisements

Hello, in the summer I will be relocating to the above mentioned area. I am originally from Southern Illinois but relocated to Saint Louis this past year. I am wanting to move out of Downtown Saint Louis and into one of the above mentioned areas. I would like to live near 64 and I work off of Vandeventer and Enright in Saint Louis (near SLU). I am looking for a nice apartment ( not over $800 for one bedroom), that is SAFE. My main concern is loud neighbors or unsafe neighborhoods and quite. I have had enough of downtown noise. Obviously good management is important as well. I would like something near a grocery store, but am willing to take distance if it is a good apartment. Like I said, I would like to be near 64. I don't want to be over 45 minutes from work. Any advice on the best apartment and the best city out of the three (Shiloh can be included as well), would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 11:51 PM

4 posts, read 21,511 times
First of all, I feel morally obligated to discourage you from moving to Illinois. But if you are bound and determined to do so, here's what I have to offer about apartments about which I have some knowledge.

Greenmount Lakes seemed nice and the manager seemed very nice. Green Mount Lakes We ultimately did not take it because that intersection at Frank Scott and Greenmount can be a nightmare and would have added a lot of time to my wife's commute as she would have to go through that to go east to drop kids off at school and then go west on 64 to her work. But the apartments are decent and the facilities seem nice. I would have been happy to rent there.

We ended up at Tamarack Woods apartments.
O'Fallon Illinois Apartments - Tamarack Woods Apartments - Belleville IL, Scott Air Force Base, O'Fallon IL Apartments The two managers that we spoke with there seem nice so far. These are newer and have granite countertops and nice fixtures, and all that. But make sure you look at the actual unit that you will rent. The demo we looked at was bigger than the unit we were given. We are only going to be there for three months and I had to move stuff in quickly on a weekend from a house we sold and did not make a stink about it. Also, don't take an apartment next to Frank Scott Road. It's noisy. I think we were given this because we are so short term and I understand that. The units next to the road are also north facing so you won't get satellite signal but you can get charter. Noise does travel between units. To give you an idea, you will hear people talking at conversational levels, but you won't hear what they are saying. But it has not been an issue. So far, tenants seem decent and well behaved. The club facilities seem nice too.

Then there is Fairfield Place. Concord Property Management We stayed there for a short time seven years ago when we moved to Illinois. The units were fine as I recall. They are a little further west on the line between O'Fallon and Fairview Heights. This place was fine back then. Noise will travel. We were short term so I think that's why we were put in a unit below a gentleman who suffered from a severe case of Tourette's Syndrome. That's no joke. Mostly animal noises rather than curses. Despite that, it's worth a look because, seriously, chances are low you will get an apartment below someone with Tourette's.

So, if you really want to leave Missouri for Illinois, these are three that I know about that you may want to visit. The nicest interiors will be Tamarack, followed by Greenmount Lakes, followed by Fairfield. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:58 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
There is nothing wrong with Illinois. My personal preference would be Fairview Heights but I have never rented there so I have no idea what the prices and neighborhoods would be like. Fairview Heights has the mall, a couple strip malls, a few grocery stores, is not far from Belleville, has the metro link station close and not a very far drive from St Louis if you choose to drive. When I lived in Granite City and Madison I did all of my shopping in Fairview Heights then when I lived in Hartford, Godfrey and Roxana I shopped in Alton or Wood River.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I don't know that there's any regular posters with intimate knowledge of the IL side, but I have to think you'd have better luck with posting this in the St. Louis forum.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,119 times
I have had 4 landlords and far and away the best was when I lived on the Illinois side (I live in Missouri now) was 1st Alliance Realty in O'Fallon. I called about my bathtub leaking into my downstairs cabinets and they were completed replaced literally within 24 hours. I called him about locking myself out of my apartment and he was there within an hour. He was a great guy and great to deal with. It's a husband/wife combo.

First Alliance Real Estate & Property Management

Old 03-18-2012, 08:41 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I don't mean to be picky, but there other towns and places called Saint Louis such as Saint Louis Quebec, Canada. Saint Louis Kent County, New Brunswick in Canada, Saint Louis Cathedral in Tunisia. Saint Louis, Guadeloupe. and more.

If you are talking about a city in the United States located in Missouri then it is not spelled as the French Saint-Louis, it is St. Louis, Missouri and it is located in St. Louis County in the state of Missouri. There is also a St. Louis, Michigan, a St. Louis Oklahoma and the St. Louis Cardinals. Look on any IL or MO map and you will find St. Louis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessinillinois View Post
Hello, in the summer I will be relocating to the above mentioned area. I am originally from Southern Illinois but relocated to Saint Louis this past year. I am wanting to move out of Downtown Saint Louis and into one of the above mentioned areas. I would like to live near 64 and I work off of Vandeventer and Enright in Saint Louis (near SLU). I am looking for a nice apartment ( not over $800 for one bedroom), that is SAFE. My main concern is loud neighbors or unsafe neighborhoods and quite. I have had enough of downtown noise. Obviously good management is important as well. I would like something near a grocery store, but am willing to take distance if it is a good apartment. Like I said, I would like to be near 64. I don't want to be over 45 minutes from work. Any advice on the best apartment and the best city out of the three (Shiloh can be included as well), would be appreciated.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:40 AM

110 posts, read 204,855 times
The Metro East is a nice area. I no longer live in Illinois, but I wish you the best of luck. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of the aforementioned areas.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:32 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
If you are talking about a city in the United States located in Missouri then it is not spelled as the French Saint-Louis, it is St. Louis, Missouri and it is located in St. Louis County in the state of Missouri.
Not to pick nits myself, but the city of St. Louis, Missouri is not located in St. Louis County, Missouri. They are separate entities.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:23 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Ah yes, I forgot about that little detail. Indeed The City of St. Louis is a separate entity. However the city and county are not customarily spelled as a French community as in Saint-Louis, one of several Canadian communities.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 AM

14 posts, read 41,546 times
Just an update- I ended up moving to Green Mount and LOVE it. Everything is wonderful. Love O'Fallon. traffic at that light and going into stl can be a nightmare.

Also I agree, not everyone is against Il. I took offense to that. I lived there 20 years and one in MO and prefer IL.

Also regarding the Saint vs St. Louis, I know that they are not customarily spelled Saint, but many businesses and work places (including the court, where I work) use either spelling. I am plenty educated on where St. Louis is, considering I lived there for a year. Many places share the same name and are in different states. Considering I was posting this in the Illinois forum, I don't think there was any confusion that I would mean Canada? There are many cities that use different spellings for st. and saint. If places in the city and google maps will use Saint, then it's good enough for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois