U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 PM

116 posts, read 349,040 times

Advertisements

I am talking about Umts/HSPA 3G from providers like at&t or tmobile that is faster than verizon's 3g (EVDO). Why is that this area lacks 4G and even 3G despite the fact that it is high traffic touristy area (Galena, Chestnut Mountain, Eagle Ridge) and is only 30 miles from Dubuque which has 3G network and soon will have 4G from US Cellular!

Its not just tourist, but there are many towns where residents live and Galena itself has 2000!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 PM

11,544 posts, read 27,466,816 times
The mega companies will build out in Chicago and large universities before tourist areas and rural areas. It is a fact of life.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The mega companies will build out in Chicago and large universities before tourist areas and rural areas. It is a fact of life.
Yes, but look at the country like Canada and Europe, where 3G is built out everywhere.

If you look at southern Ontario from Toronto to Windsor, the entire area along stretch 401/402 is covered by 3G+ by Rogers, Bell, Telus. Bell and Telus are not GSM carriers, but they built out UMTS.

Now take a look at I-90 and notice that on entire route from South Bend, Indiana till Cleveland, OH you only get EDGE on at&t and t-mobile has probably even smaller coverage.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:56 PM

11,544 posts, read 27,466,816 times
So what? I don't live in Canada; it uses a different technology than the US. I do not know what the future will hold but today the cell with the QUAD BAND - if it is turned on, it should work in Canada.

T-Mobile is a hot commodity in California. US Cellular has more towers in Illinois than any other state. AT&T has always traditionally served the large communities, and large college communities were they already have copper installed. AT&T has never been terribly good in rural America. LTE may make the difference I don't know.

What I can tell you is that I've driven most every route between Illinois and California south of I-70 - which includes a lot of mountains and desert. I never had Sprint or Verizon fail except in areas where there were no towers, and where AT&T has no competition. If I wanted to *** I got on the CB. Conversely before I got Sprint and Verizon, I had T-Mobile and AT&T; it was a waste of money.

What I learned since my T-Mobile and AT&T days is this The quality of the phone + the tower strength = how well you are connected in any area.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
So what? I don't live in Canada; it uses a different technology than the US.
Not true.

All North American providers use the same technology (Cdma, GSM) on the same bands (1900Mhz, 850Mhz). The exception in States is T-Mobile which uses AWS band (2100/1700) for 3G, thats why u can't use unlocked T-Mobile phone with 3g on at&t carrier. The reason you need QUAD BAND phone, is to be able to make calls when u visit Europe or Asia which use 1800/900 Mhz for GSM and 2100Mhz for hspa/3G.

UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA (called 3G) is from 3GPP GSM family but its different technology. Neither Verizon nor Sprint invested in UMTS rollout and Verizon instead went straight to 4G LTE which did awesome job. LTE is from 3GPP family too, but it is also different technology from hspa, gsm. Qualcomm from which CDMA carriers like VZ adopted technology tried to introduce competing UMB but all carriers worldwide went with LTE instead.

Sprint is using Wi-Max as 4G through Clearwire partnership, but its phasing it out in favor of LTE.

My point is, it would be nice if Verizon earlier went introduced HSPA as 3G, then at&t would have stronger competition. T-Mobile is not their real competitor. Their coverage is a lot smaller, especially 3G. I would not mind if it slowed down LTE rollout. This technology is new, still in testing phase and it has disadvantage. The 4G LTE phones with LTE on don't last long on battery.

Still, it would be nice if at&t covered Galena with 3G/4g like it did in many towns in Central and South Illinois, especially along stretch of major routes or highways. When you are stuck on EDGE or with no signal, u can't use your smartphone for directions if u get lost or need something immediately. It is then too slow or unusable. Old fashioned printed map will not always tell u everything and won't tell you where u are. Anyway these are just my two cents.

Last edited by il_blguy87; 02-20-2012 at 01:29 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 07:43 AM

4,621 posts, read 6,167,064 times
I'm not sure, but I think a lot carriers will piggy-back on others' networks. I didn't have my smart phone with me last time I was in Galena, but my partner's iPhone had 3G while we were there (which we needed to look up directions to a few wineries).

Old 02-20-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I'm not sure, but I think a lot carriers will piggy-back on others' networks. I didn't have my smart phone with me last time I was in Galena, but my partner's iPhone had 3G while we were there (which we needed to look up directions to a few wineries).
According to at&t coverage map, some few small parts of Galena have 3G, but downtown doesn't. Perhaps your partner had 3G because he is on Verizon? To be clear, I am talking here about At&t and hspa.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:26 PM

6 posts, read 11,972 times
A month ago when we were at Chestnut the at&t phones did not work at all and Sprint was super spotty becuase it was roaming. Verizon and US Cellular were the only ones that worked decent. The place was packed!! I would agree that they should invest a little in their network up that way, all of them should. I love the reliability of my Verizon coverage, but have to admit, with my iPhone I am jealous everyday of the speed at&t customers get on 3g.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: