U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,593 times

Advertisements

Hey I lived about four houses down from the house that she is referring to--it's a pretty nice house, and the neighborhood really isn't that bad. In fact, the apartment I lived in on Pleasant was my favorite place I've ever lived.

But overall: Freeport sucks. I moved over a year ago and would never move back. OP, I would suggest Galena. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 5,534 times
Okay, considerring I've lived in both Oceanside, CA and Freeport, IL (and that house is just down the street from me. lol.) maybe I can provide a bit more perspective.

Freeport used to be grungy and a little high crime (comparing it to any other town in the county, the next largest of which is a tenth the size, sure, it's the "worst in the area"). Some parts of it are a Norman Rockwell painting, other parts the crack dealers stood right out on the corner in broad daylight selling and the cops were too scared to drive through some areas doing less than 40mph.

But what a lot of people can't see, and I can having moved away for about a decade and then coming back ... this place has improved a LOT since the early 90s. The bad neighborhoods have gotten better and smaller. A lot of the gangs and drugs have been run out of town. They're still here, of course, but nowhere near as bad.

West Pleasant street is kinda borderline. It's not bad really, but it's not great either. It's mostly renters and the landlords here have a neighborhood watch network 2nd to none I've ever seen. Most are very careful who they rent to (MOST ... some still rent to partiers and dirtbags) and are militantly active in taking care of bad elements immediately. They're trying to clean it up and have made some great headway. Same goes for a lot of areas of town. It's nowhere near as bad as it was 15 years ago. Neither is Oceanside from what I've seen passing back through there. I lived on 6th street in Oceanside and had shootouts under my bedroom window and needles in the gutter. I lived on Marquette too which was VERY bad. We were burglarized, vandalized, etc. In Freeport I lived on Carrol Ave which was the heart of crackland. I loved that house and fixed it up nice ... but that was a baaaaaaaaaaad neighborhood. It's improved too but I still wouldn't want to raise my kids there. You couldn't pay ME to live in that neighborhood again.

So both Freeport and Oceanside have cleaned up a LOT over the last 15 years but I'd still say Freeport has always and continues to be better than Oceanside for crime comparing similar neighborhoods apples-for-apples. And while I love the ol' victorian style homes around here above any other houses in the world ... anything at $19k here is going to be condemnable, in a very bad neighborhood or both (I bought the one on Carrol for $18.9k ... how's that for perspective? ) The same house in a decent neighborhood is going to start at $50-$70k ... ya might find a rare steal in an "okay" neighborhood in the $40s.

Very rough estimate - stay to the southwest quarter of town. And while I like Freeport, I'm not saying it's "great" ... I mean I still really don't want my kids going to Freeport schools and will probably be moving to a smaller nearby town so I can have smalltown schools and still be close to Freeport shopping ... it's not as bad as it used to be and there are several areas that you can live in peace and for a helluva lot cheaper than most areas of the country.

As for Galena - Galena is gorgeous without a doubt, but I've looked into it before and housing/rental prices are unbelieveably high and jobs are scarce unless you want to commute to Dubuque (not that jobs in Freeport are much better either but there's more than Galena).

Last edited by Runemang; 12-22-2007 at 11:43 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,500 times
i moved here to freeport last year after coming back to il from calif. well i like my house dont really like all the snow i would like to see freeport become a better place to live more jobs and more to do with your kids (i need to find out whats out there)

Old 01-21-2008, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,461 times
I moved from Freeport 2 years ago, and the ONLY thing I miss about it is my very best friend. I beg her all the time to leave. I always hear bad things about the economy in Michigan, but there weren't good jobs in Freeport either. At least here, the crime isn't bad. Freeport is a dead end town. Good riddance!

Old 01-27-2008, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,449 times
Wow such a wide variety of opinions about Freeport. I suppose the difference is which part. I drove through town yesterday and was enchanted with what is "The nice part of town". I am looking to rent a house or large apartment to work from home so high speed is estential but want to be fairly close to Pectonica where there is a Vipassana Center, in the fields, yet be amongst a community. I thought Freeport fit the bill. I suppose like any place, there are different views and experiences. If anyone knows of safe area that is available to rent , would love to know. Thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 08:00 PM

49 posts, read 121,820 times
Generally anything on the west side of town is good. The southeast side has some nice older neighborhoods. You can check out [SIZE=-1]www.journalstandard.com for rentals. Generally rents on the "good" part of town start out at about $400.
[/SIZE]

Old 06-10-2008, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 10,724 times
freeport sucks balls

Old 06-10-2008, 08:39 PM

36,595 posts, read 57,867,463 times
No need to be subtle.... go ahead and give us your honest assessment.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:03 PM

215 posts, read 343,151 times
Drove through Freeport today. I was,,,well.... surprised.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:31 PM

36,595 posts, read 57,867,463 times
^^ In what way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois