Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:48 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,763,571 times

Advertisements

We all know that endless numbers of Chicago area students head to our state's public universities outside the metro area in droves: U of I, ISU, NIU, SIU, EIU, WIU

I was wondering if there was any kind of "reverse commute"

Do downstate students consider UIC for college? Seems to me that it would be a nice choice in that they would get to experience a university smack in the heart of the big city, but pay that great in-state tuition.

Does anyone know if many downstaters choose to go to UIC, or does it tend to be off the radar to the majority of them?

seems to me that the state is well served by Chicago area kids getting to go to downstate schools, thus experiencing another part of the state and making a connection to it; the reverse would also be beneficial.

I'm sure the number of downstate students at NEIU or CSU is very low, but does anyone know if these Chicago schools register with that part of the state at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,119,245 times
Considering cost difference, smaller campus, lower COL combined with a very wide range of courses, it is more likely downstate kids go elsewhere for specialties such as pharmacology as opposed to, say, Liberal Arts or Math. My local pharmacists are brothers with four in college: sports medicine, pharmacy tech, nuclear ? and a Nursing Ph.D. The youngest is in community college, one is at MIT, one s in NYC . The police chief's kid is at Western studying computer sciences. Where a kid can go may have as much to do with tuition and housing costs as it does with the curriculum.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:15 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,347,136 times
When I was in high school, it seemed as if the students that stayed in state and were wanting to go to top caliber schools went to NU or UChicago if they didn't go to UIUC. I went to a Catholic high school, though, so Loyola was also a popular choice. UIC didn't seem to be much on other people's radars, especially given that UIUC is a better school and nearer to most of their families.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:17 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,119,245 times
There is a also a group of kids that go to ISU or Eureka, too. My niece is an ISU actuary. Most of my family went to Bradley. Between Peoria, B-N, U-C, and Springfield there are 5 Universities, 2 med schools, 3 or more nursing schools, 3 colleges, 3 community colleges and several trade schools. Not all parents think it is necessary to send their kids to Chicago for a Bachelor' degree. .

Old 08-18-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
There is a also a group of kids that go to ISU or Eureka, too. My niece is an ISU actuary. Most of my family went to Bradley. Between Peoria, B-N, U-C, and Springfield there are 5 Universities, 2 med schools, 3 or more nursing schools, 3 colleges, 3 community colleges and several trade schools. Not all parents think it is necessary to send their kids to Chicago for a Bachelor' degree. .
I'm sure a lot of parents would feel the way you describe.

i would think that kids throughout downstate would be drawn to places like U of I, ISU, SIU, etc., just like Chicago area kids are. I just wanted to know what kind of impact UIC has on downstate: do downstate students consider going there, how many actually do, what is the feeling about being able to go a state supported school with the tuition advantages is has that gives the an opportunity to be in the heart of Chicago.

It really comes down to this: how much is UIC even on the radar screen of downstate kids considering college and their parents?

Old 08-18-2012, 08:55 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Is UIC popular with downstate students
Not really

Old 08-19-2012, 10:50 PM

16,362 posts, read 30,074,964 times
Quote:
It really comes down to this: how much is UIC even on the radar screen of downstate kids considering college and their parents?
I have had a few friends who have attended UIC and I have been on the campus more than a few times.

I would say that ANY inner city university can be a bit of a sell to parents of undergraduates. There is always a nagging doubt about the safety of the neighborhood. (And I would also say that this is NOT peculiar to UIC - I hear the same questions about St. Louis University, Marquette, Cleveland State, Case Western ...)

Old 08-19-2012, 11:38 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,244,318 times
No. Those who live in Southern Illinois really tend to stick with SIU.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
No. Those who live in Southern Illinois really tend to stick with SIU.
you mean that students don't even consider U of i? Does that part of the state have less of a connection with U of I than most areas of the state?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,244,318 times
Quote:
you mean that students don't even consider U of i? Does that part of the state have less of a connection with U of I than most areas of the state?
U of I is the flagship university of Illinois so I'm sure that if they can get in and afford it that U of I is at least an option.

This page has the data if you scroll down to "Enrollment by Illinois County".

University of Illinois: Student Enrollment Reports

If you look at the number of students attending U of I from either Madison or St. Clair Counties to their populations it is about half of what Cook County's is. Roughly 1/1000 compared to 1/500. I added up all of those attending U of I from Metro East (the largest metro in Southern Illinois) and it turned out to be 746 students. Metro East had about 700,000 people in 2010 so 746/700,000 or roughly 1/950. A good population comparison would be Lake County which also has had about 700,000 people in 2010 but sent 2512 so 2512/700,000 or roughly 1/275.

The data is from 2010.

I'm surprised that I could actually find data on this let alone recent data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois