Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,194,988 times

Advertisements

Aroma Park is Rankin, hopefully it will Greenup and provide nice Valley View!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:20 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,836,401 times
I always thought Loogootee was a funny name. Indiana has a Loogootee also.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,720,377 times
I once spoke to a native of Vienna downstate that told me how the town got it's name. It is NOT pronounced like the city in Europe. It was a area that was traveled through to get to Anna-Jonesboro hence the "Via Anna" name stuck. So it's pronounced Vi-enna. I got a kick out of that story anyway ;-)I remember when I went to SIU Carbondale back in the early 70's how odd I thought that was when they pronounced it that way on TV.....

Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
Default Agreed

Everything you say is true. There is even a Kickapoo Town Hall, but, the unincorporated township called Kickapoo has always been a township. In fact according to records before the name was changed to Kickapoo in 1856 it was called Orange Township. There maybe a City, Town or Village in Illinois Kickapoo - but it is not in Peoria County.

The information provided to me came from the County maps in the Peoria County Sheriff's Office, and also research from the main library in Peoria,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The people that live in the unincorporated village call it Kickapoo and the road sign outside of town says the same.
There are about a dozen streets, 100 homes or so, several restaurants, several very popular little league ball fields, churches, a fire station...

It is located on US Rt 150 and Kickapoo Edwards Road, just a few miles outside the city limits of Peoria.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:54 PM

281 posts, read 924,342 times
Most towns with French names have brutally Americanized pronunciation, Marseilles (mar-SELLS), Bourbonnais (bur-BOHN-ess). One of my favorites is not a town, but a street in Chicago, Devon Avenue, pronounced duh-VOHN.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:58 PM

281 posts, read 924,342 times
One that is not funny in itself has a funny story: Romeoville. It is a suburb of Joliet. Joliet was named for a French explorer, but the founder of Romeoville thought it was named for Juliet in the Shakespeare play, so he named his town Romeoville for Juliet's boyfriend.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
Most towns with French names have brutally Americanized pronunciation, Marseilles (mar-SELLS), Bourbonnais (bur-BOHN-ess). One of my favorites is not a town, but a street in Chicago, Devon Avenue, pronounced duh-VOHN.
I have never in my life heard Bourbonnais pronounced "bur-BOHN-ess." I've always heard it pronounced relatively close to its original French pronunciation, "bur-buh-NAY." Maybe the Anglicized pronunciation came and went, but "went" it has. What's more, "deh-VON" is a lot closer to a French pronunciation than the standard English pronunciation "DEH-ven" is. It should be noted that the French language puts equal emphasis on all syllables, which might explain why it would sound more like "deh-VON" to our ears than "DEH-ven" since we'd expect an emphasis on the first syllable that's not there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
One that is not funny in itself has a funny story: Romeoville. It is a suburb of Joliet. Joliet was named for a French explorer, but the founder of Romeoville thought it was named for Juliet in the Shakespeare play, so he named his town Romeoville for Juliet's boyfriend.
While Joliet was named after the explorer, the original spelling was in fact "Juliet" most likely to reflect the pronunciation used by local Indians. Hence the Romeoville, which isn't really a suburb of Joliet at any rate -- Joliet doesn't quite have enough economic pull to have its own suburbs, not while the whole region falls under the shadow cast by Chicago.

Last edited by Drover; 04-10-2012 at 11:53 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 AM

Speaking of foreign names of cities in America I've heard Bourbonnais pronounced burr bon-aaze and San Jose (san hoe zay) pronounces as San Joe's Illinois. Thankfully we missed getting this town, a name I have no idea how to pronounce: Auxvasse. Oy Vey!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Aroma Park is Rankin, hopefully it will Greenup and provide nice Valley View!
If you come downstate you can find a true Green Valley view not too far from a Bath or the Wolf fish hatchery.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:00 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,194,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
If you come downstate you can find a true Green Valley view not too far from a Bath or the Wolf fish hatchery.
Sounds like one of those commercials with the man and woman in the bathtubs next to each other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois