Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM

491 posts, read 1,642,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Dude, relax & don't be so grumpy. I see someone who usually doesn't post on IL forums with a moniker that possibly locates you in NY or NJ and I have no idea if you are a "fly by night" poster, "ignoramus" poster or are a long time contributor with a good track record. Then I use a play on words to question the town names you come up with, poke a little fun, and instead of saying how you got them and poking fun back you stoop to the 12 year old level with a "finger up your nose" reference I hope the 3 stooges movie was entertaining...................................... .........here's a double eye poke and a couple nyuk nyuk's right back at yak:

Does it matter where I'm from? I think anyone can participate. I'm from Chicago but here NJ/NYC, we use baseball bats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:10 PM

491 posts, read 1,642,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Boystown, Bath and Bardolph come to mind.
Where exactly is Boystown,IL?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,111,599 times
Oops ....

Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,193,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
Does it matter where I'm from? I think anyone can participate. I'm from Chicago but here NJ/NYC, we use baseball bats!
Don't be so Dupo. The Elburn isn't so good for your Colona. Chillicothe already. Oh and bring your bat to Casey or Caseyville where it will have some Worth. Don't bring it near me or you won't like Watseka. Better yet, we eat some Philo type, baked goodies and bury the hatchet. I'm only lamely trying to bring some Witt to the thread.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,120,786 times
One would think that Mahomet and Prophetstown would be close by but they are not. The prophet in Prophetstown was a Native American, not from the Old Testament or Islam, either.

Consider ourselves lucky. In Texas they have a county called 'Deaf Smith'. How euphonious!

Did you know that 'Tappan Zee', was Dutch for 'inland sea', i.e. the widest part of the Hudson River?

Old 04-20-2012, 04:43 PM

148 posts, read 621,417 times
Here are some Illinois town names I always thought were interesting or at least funny:

Cornland

(These next 3 are within a couple miles of each other)
Buffalo Hart
Elkhart
Buckhart

Normal (too bad there isn't a town named Abby nearby)
Creve Ceour (broken heart in French)
LeRoy (French for The King maybe?)
La Place
Andalusia (as in southern Spain. There's a couple towns along the
Mississippi named for places in Spain like Cordova)
Lovington (sounds lovely)
Blue Mound
Pleasant Plains
Little America
Goofy Ridge
Poverty Ridge
Galena (named after a lead ore)
Assumption
Birds
Biggsville (population 350!)
Media
Sandwich (near Franks)
Big Rock & Little Rock (near each other)

Old 04-20-2012, 07:17 PM

I've been Deaf Smith many time. They have a large feed lot that is usually filled with cattle. If you have ever been there I don't have to say another word about it. Except it has/had a really good buffet. I was surprised because it was late when we stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
One would think that Mahomet and Prophetstown would be close by but they are not. The prophet in Prophetstown was a Native American, not from the Old Testament or Islam, either.

Consider ourselves lucky. In Texas they have a county called 'Deaf Smith'. How euphonious!

Did you know that 'Tappan Zee', was Dutch for 'inland sea', i.e. the widest part of the Hudson River?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,800,641 times
Most of us have an Illinois city as our hometown. And a few actually live in Hometown. I think once a Normal boy married an Oblong girl. Did you know you could go to Oregon without leaving Illinois? One city is a fat zero (Cerro Gordo). Anyone want to play Polo?

Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 AM

With over 100 counties, there are a lot of towns to rediscover.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 PM

655 posts, read 1,120,810 times
Ashkum was always amusing to me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois