Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 01:22 AM

801 posts, read 2,565,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I don't know about Indiana but in IL the Interstate routes are cleared first followed by US Routes, IL State Routes, and then major county roads. About '65 I followed behind a plow from Peoria to Chicago. Only one lane each way was open on I-55. When I got closer to Chicago and the road widened I was greeted by a batallion of snow plows. It was a beautiful sight to behold. I actually didn't see any traffic until I reached the lake and turned north toward Lincoln Park. The next day all the major routes were open and so was Western Avenue. People who do not live in Chicago don't understand the number of feeder routes into and around the city that must be kept open. I've lived or visited many places for extended times. Never have I seen another place with as many Interstate routes, state routes and feeder streets with as much traffic as in Cook County.

Chicago knows snow and major disruptions to traffic. And the people who live there know how to manage inconvenience; they do it with a flair.
Yes they do, and Chicago is excellent at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
And while the news focuses on "Dibs", the paid tellers of fortune and favor forget how beautiful the old 'hoods are when dressed in Winter white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
Yes they do, and Chicago is excellent at it.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,489 times
it can always be worse - you could be in new jersey

Old 02-11-2014, 01:15 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
It could be worse. We could still be -10F with -50F wind chill. N'Jersey would probably too warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e0rzd08 View Post
it can always be worse - you could be in new jersey

Old 03-08-2014, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,251 times
Seriously, if you can to live and work here, best come as an illegal alien, then it is doable. As a resident you are here to support Chit-ago and East St.Louis and the Democrat party.. Next time, if you can do it, check the real estate taxes before more and use an online program like Zillow to research cost of homes.. Plus you may have to wait for Obama to leave office.... My house was $160K before his election, it is now $60K, I am stuck here too..

Old 03-10-2014, 01:54 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal67 View Post
Seriously, if you can to live and work here, best come as an illegal alien, then it is doable. As a resident you are here to support Chit-ago and East St.Louis and the Democrat party.. Next time, if you can do it, check the real estate taxes before more and use an online program like Zillow to research cost of homes.. Plus you may have to wait for Obama to leave office.... My house was $160K before his election, it is now $60K, I am stuck here too..
Right, because we all know the Great Recession was Obama's fault and had absolutely nothing to do with Wall Street greed and a porous regulatory system

Old 03-12-2014, 11:37 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,672,471 times
The real reason for high taxes is the number of government bodies that rely on it to operate. Illinois has almost 7000 gov't bodies taking takes. The next closest state is PA with just over 5000. Too many people doing the same job. How many cities have multiple school districts instead of one school district caring for multiple schools. Go through the whole local gov't and see how many agencies are doing something that another could easily do.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal67 View Post
Weird my home is worth more now, but my home is in Chicago. Not a dumpy suburb.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:00 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
The real reason for high taxes is the number of government bodies that rely on it to operate. Illinois has almost 7000 gov't bodies taking takes. The next closest state is PA with just over 5000. Too many people doing the same job. How many cities have multiple school districts instead of one school district caring for multiple schools. Go through the whole local gov't and see how many agencies are doing something that another could easily do.
Exactly and most of them have no fiscal disipline and see the citizens as a bottomless piggy bank. I just don't see how that can be fixed as abolishing governing bodies and school districts is very difficult. Personally I think the state someday is going to need a complete reboot. We are going to have to start from scratch from the bottom up, rewrite the state constitution, reorganize all the governing functions, renegotiate all the state worker employment terms, purge a lot of the fat from the payroll. I just don't see that happeing. Even the minor joke reforms for the pensions put in place recently are being fought tooth an nail through the court system. However, if something isn't done this state will continue to see declines, higher than average unemployment, and people and businesses fleeing.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:19 AM

96 posts, read 191,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Teaching is sometimes a low-paying career. But, look at what the Top 100 highest paid teachers in Illinois are making. Don't forget that when they retire, they generally earn a lifetime pension of about 75% of their highest working salary per year.

Our tax dollars are also going to support the Illinois Teacher's Retirement System.

Illinois Top 100 Teacher Salaries:
The Champion - Education Issues and School Reform (http://www.thechampion.org/teachers....acher+Salaries - broken link)
AND DON'T FORGET that like most public sector workers, teachers typically enjoy iron clad employment protections unheard of in the private sector.

The iron clad protections AND 1950's style pensions are like an invisible (or intangible) 30%-50% markup on any given public sector salary.

Most private sector workers suffer 2-5 economic downturns during their careers ... They're downsized, laid off, forced out of jobs, disabled from illness, or forced to switch careers due to any number of economic circumstances. When this happens, the private sector worker is forced to raid any/ all retirement savings just to make it to the next gig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois