Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,194,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Ha I admit this , I was fooled. And now we have the mccormick issue
Just one thing after the other

madigan scares me more than anyone along with cullerton (not slamming on them) I just have a different stance on issues right now at this point in my life and what i believe the priorities should be with this state.

This state has so muc potential and these people are just slowing us down
Takes courage to admit when one is wrong. I think a vast majority gets fooled by politician's words not equaling their actions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,069,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Takes courage to admit when one is wrong. I think a vast majority gets fooled by politician's words not equaling their actions
Appreciate the comment but why not own your own (mistake)

I think more times than not some people on this board could get things better done than the people who we have elected to represent us.

In reality this board sometimes forces you to see things from different perspectives.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 PM

18 posts, read 19,880 times
The thing is, Quinn told everyone during the campaign last year that if he was reelected he was going to raise income and corporate taxes. He gets reelected and sure enough carries through with his promise and the same people that voted for him are now outraged that he raised taxes. I have many friends in Illinois and I do not like the prospect of moving but due to the continued corruption and the fact that Chicago seems to control everything that happens in this state, I just can't afford nor want to stay in this state anymore

Old 06-25-2011, 09:19 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,153,603 times
Simple enough. Madigan, Quinn and others are placing a large percentage of our tax dollars in their pockets, and those of their family and friends. Thus, taxes need to go up to be able to run the state.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
It difficult to run a state woth as man people as Illinois on hot air and promises. You're forgetting about Rod Blog. How much did it cost the taxpayer to allow this pompous arrogant little con man to fly twice a day (4hrs per day) between Chicago and Springfield in a state plane?*Multiply that by the day he was actually in Springfield. What did it cost to keep the Gov. Mansion open during the time Mr. Congenality didn't sleep in Springfield.

As long as Chicago politicians are elected to hold the Gov. seat it makes no difference what stripe they are. The end result is the same. It has been this way for 50-years. The only way to make a difference is to have a majority. The real majority lives in Chicago. Just think of IL politics as a small Tammany Hall. It will make you feel better.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,438 times
Dear Linicx - You seem to be either benefitting from the way things presently are in Illinois or have no concept of what goes on in other places. We lived in Cook County for 30 years, moved to Scottsdale, Az. a town of 250,000 people, much like a Chicago suburb. Our taxes on a 3600 sq. ft. house with a guesthouse and a swimming pool on one acre are $2800/yr. Our hospitals are rated the best in the country - Mayo and Scottsdale Health Care (both trauma centers). We are 20 mins. on the freeway from Phoenix International Airport and 15 mins. from Az.State Univ. (10 mins. from Scottsdale Comm. College) Our shopping is the best - everything from mom & pop stores to Nordstrom's and Saks, Barney's, Cartier, Tiffany's and Neiman Marcus. Old Town is wonderful, if you want to gamble the Indian Reservation is next door, Spring training has 16 major league clubs here in the Valley of the Sun, no snow at all, but drive up in the mountains if you want to ski, over 200 golf courses too - there's so many people from my Blue Island high school living here, they've decided to have our reunion in Arizona! Hanging around Chicago is the hard life.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:19 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,069,558 times
Are you attempting to justify a move to AZ?

IMHO it appears people seem to forget that some things in life do not come free.
I do not remember anyone on this thread stating AZ did not have a good quality of life.

I always find it interesting that others speak so badly of Illinois and then you see them reading and actually participating in conversations in the forums.
In this case you move to a far away state but felt compelled to express your opinions on something that was part of your past.
If you do not like Illinois and left then why even bother to post here.

The bottom line is you cant have access to protection (fire) (police)
(homeland security) access to quality medical facilities, social programs for the physical and mentally impaired and the handicapped for free.
This is just a small list of the many things that OUR tax dollars pay for.

If my tax dollar actually goes into helping someone in need and they actually need it, then that is fine with me.

The revenue for services and programs needs to come from someplace.

It is certainly worth mentioning no one wants to over pay or not see a return for the taxes that he or she would have paid.

You may not have seen the value of living in this state, but for some people we do.

Heck I was visiting a neighboring state park system and they did not even have trash cans at the picnic shelters.

You had to lug the trash with you.
May seem small but its just an example of what your tax pays for.

IMHO the value that I pay into the system is worth what I get in return.

Your comment seemed kind of off base.

One may say you are running from your problems but that would not be fair as I do not know anything about your situation.

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 09-17-2011 at 06:28 AM..

Old 09-18-2011, 10:53 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,323,186 times
Well our state does all of the above for a lot less.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:33 AM

Joshgirl I know all about the desert southwest. AZ does not have the pop IL does, nor does it have Chicagoland. Further, AZ is off topic.

Debbie, I lived in OK or many years. It has some beautiful clean parks, but the number of parks does not come close to the number in Illinois. IL has two City parks that manage nearly 20,000 acres of land. OK does not have the pop of IL, the number of schools, or Chicagoland .

I know more about the OK health department than you can imagine. Outside of OKC and Tulsa it is not terribly good. Health care in rural America is not very good anywhere. It is hit or miss depending upon the doctors that are hired by hospital adminstration that is more interested in botton line profit and not being sued than it is in actual patient care.

Anyone who believes AZ, NM, MO, AR, or OK has wonderful medical care statewide has never spent any time on an Indian reservation or at an Indian medical clinic. I have. Indian poverty level makes the level of poverty on the south side of Chicago look like Beverly Hills.

Let's get rid of one little misconception. There are 25 Top Rated Hospitals in the US. Twenty-three are on the West coast and the East coast. The other two are in the MId-West. Barnes-Jewish is in St. Louis and Mayo is in Minnesota. Scotsdale may have the best in AZ or even in the desert Southwest, It is not the best in America.

This is an Illinois forum. We are not discussing other states any further.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Are you attempting to justify a move to AZ?

IMHO it appears people seem to forget that some things in life do not come free. I do not remember anyone on this thread stating AZ did not have a good quality of life.
--- Snip---

Great Post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois