U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:03 AM

4 posts, read 6,130 times

Advertisements

Relocating from MI to Peoria area. Found a place in Pekin. Doing research and I can't find a reason not to move to Pekin. I talk to locals and no one has had anything good to say about Pekin. I can't believe it's worse than where we are from. What's wrong with Pekin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 03:49 PM

10,852 posts, read 15,182,199 times
Help me out here. What type of housing unit do you want: House, apt, or duplex? How many bedroom and bath? What is your basic budget for housing without utilities? The best time to house hunt is June 1- August 1.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:44 PM

3,402 posts, read 1,025,538 times
I don't live in Pekin as I live just up the road a few miles, but I like to go there. The Marigold Festival is really nice. There is a small city feel in the city, with so-so shopping but there are Menard's, Walmart, Big Lots, Hobby Lobby, Deals, Bergner's, and a farm store. This allows a person to buy discount items, quality clothes plus clothes at a discount as well as home improvement items and even farm related. And there are several decent places to eat. There is a small hospital and a wonderful park which is just right to stop for a while with your picnic basket and watch the ducks on the pond and see the persons brave enough to take one of those old floating pedal boats out on the surface (shiver). Kroger and Aldi's and a Schnucks are there to grocery shop.

There are several places to eat including Applebee's, Steak and Shake, KFC, Bob Evans, pizza places, Avantis. I personally don't think it has "wow" type places to eat but I like Kouri's Pub which has some really tasty items on the menu.

Peoria, East Peoria, Washington and Morton are just up the road if you can't find a place to dine or shop. The one thing I have always been told that there are racial issues in Pekin and I remember seeing a newspaper article which related to racial effigies hanging from a bridge at one time. I'm not sure of the current status of that situation but I have noticed that the population is, for the most part, white.

Pekin is a suburb and in cases of suburbs, the burbs don't have everything that the larger city has and most likely never will. It's a bedroom community close to Peoria with some nice small homes there for residents. I haven't seen a lot of fancy mansions in the town, but there could be some that I haven't run across yet. I don't know why the locals you talked to don't like Pekin.....perhaps they were mad at something that went on in the town. Hope you enjoy the location you choose to live.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,130 times
Looking for a 3 bedroom house with a basement. 2 baths would be nice. Would like to stay around or under 1,000.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 PM

Pekin was a sundown town and it is still rough as a cob in certain areas. It has a lot of nifty things for children to do, but I would not raise my kids there. It was bad enough twenty years ago. I stayed one semester and moved out over the winter holidays. The next semester they were in East Peoria.

What town will you work in? It will make a difference as to where you live. If you travel it won't make much difference where you live, but if you work for CAT it might. There are a lot of miles between Mapleton and Mossville.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:15 PM

32 posts, read 89,219 times
Some parts of Pekin are ok but most of the town is just kind of crappy and rundown....A lot of poverty and closed businesses in town....I would choose any other suburb rather than pekin...Bartonville is better and about 5 miles away...You can also look at East Peoria or Morton as both of those arent too far away....

Old 07-01-2012, 01:37 PM

You do want to stay out of South Pekin as it has been struck by tornadoes more than once.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:30 PM

129 posts, read 78,710 times
Pekin is my hometown. I recently moved back after living in NC and CA for the past 30 years. Sure, there are things that have changed since I grew up here, but many things are the same. I don't see that Pekin has any more "bad" parts of town than anywhere else. It does still have that small town feel, when I go to stores or other businesses, people are kind. It is what you make it, just like anywhere else. I hope you would consider Pekin. The racial issues, unfortunately, will always be a sad part of Pekin's history. I don't see that now, I do see people of color here and I think that's wonderful. As long as the "race" issues are perpetuated they'll never go away. I say do what we can to irradicate that from our future, sadly it'll stay in our past.

Anyway, as I said, I love it here. I love Illinois. I missed it so much when I was away....there's good and bad everywhere. Come and see for yourself - maybe over a weekend. Maybe look around on the northside of town, there are older, more established neighborhoods, as well as some newer developments. Best of luck, whatever you decide!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 PM

3,402 posts, read 1,025,538 times
Over the weekend I saw that they are currently in the process of demolishing the old Pekin High School - that will help beautify this small city. My best friend is raising her family/children in Pekin and she loves the schools and the kids are doing well. They live in a very nice neighborhood.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 AM

5,463 posts, read 6,377,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I don't live in Pekin as I live just up the road a few miles, but I like to go there. The Marigold Festival is really nice. There is a small city feel in the city, with so-so shopping but there are Menard's, Walmart, Big Lots, Hobby Lobby, Deals, Bergner's, and a farm store. This allows a person to buy discount items, quality clothes plus clothes at a discount as well as home improvement items and even farm related. And there are several decent places to eat. There is a small hospital and a wonderful park which is just right to stop for a while with your picnic basket and watch the ducks on the pond and see the persons brave enough to take one of those old floating pedal boats out on the surface (shiver). Kroger and Aldi's and a Schnucks are there to grocery shop.

There are several places to eat including Applebee's, Steak and Shake, KFC, Bob Evans, pizza places, Avantis. I personally don't think it has "wow" type places to eat but I like Kouri's Pub which has some really tasty items on the menu.

Peoria, East Peoria, Washington and Morton are just up the road if you can't find a place to dine or shop. The one thing I have always been told that there are racial issues in Pekin and I remember seeing a newspaper article which related to racial effigies hanging from a bridge at one time. I'm not sure of the current status of that situation but I have noticed that the population is, for the most part, white.

Pekin is a suburb and in cases of suburbs, the burbs don't have everything that the larger city has and most likely never will. It's a bedroom community close to Peoria with some nice small homes there for residents. I haven't seen a lot of fancy mansions in the town, but there could be some that I haven't run across yet. I don't know why the locals you talked to don't like Pekin.....perhaps they were mad at something that went on in the town. Hope you enjoy the location you choose to live.
I've heard the Pekin Duck is delicious

...............sorry, just couldn't help myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois