U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite "downstate" Illinois community?
Rockford 0 0%
Quad Cities 0 0%
Peoria 6 24.00%
Springfield 3 12.00%
Champaign/Urbana 11 44.00%
Decatur 1 4.00%
Bloomington/Normal 3 12.00%
MetroEast 4 16.00%
Carbondale 4 16.00%
Other (specify) 1 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:10 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,727,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I did not find a listing for Brooklyn, Illinois in the 2012 US Census online. Just saying.

I had to dig, but I found it. Because the site works in .asp sessions I can't link.

They City-Data page for Brooklyn has census data: http://www.city-data.com/city/Brooklyn-Illinois.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 PM

11,544 posts, read 27,448,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
I had to dig, but I found it. Because the site works in .asp sessions I can't link.
Thanks! I can't.asp anyway. There is too much stuff the US Census Bureau doesn''t identify,or misidentifies. I don't take its results too seriously any more.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:55 PM

13 posts, read 18,233 times
Quote:
Chicagoland is an unpopular advertising word that has had a life.
No, actually it's used EVERYWHERE here.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 AM

In the 60s, the word Chicagoland was being used by Chicago newspaper advertisers, particularly by car dealers, located throughout Cook County, but not as much in television advertising as it is today. Now some Chicago advertisers, such as Empire, target satellite users. Then it was a novelty word used to define readership distribution area that generally included Cook County border counties in Illinois such as Lake and Will, and parts of border states such as NWI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw290 View Post
No, actually it's used EVERYWHERE here.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:42 PM

13 posts, read 18,233 times
Quote:
In the 60s, the word Chicagoland was being used by Chicago newspaper advertisers, particularly by car dealers, located throughout Cook County, but not as much in television advertising as it is today. Now some Chicago advertisers, such as Empire, target satellite users. Then it was a novelty word used to define readership distribution area that generally included Cook County border counties in Illinois such as Lake and Will, and parts of border states such as NWI.
Right. I guess I'm just saying it's still highly in use. Not sure if we are in agreement or not. Either way it seems a lot of metro areas come up with their own regional term - Quad Cities, Twin Cities, "Metroplex" for Dallas - Fort Worth.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:10 AM

The word "Chicagoland" is a big deal today as it should be.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:22 AM

12 posts, read 23,203 times
I'll definitely go with the roughly fifty percent that went with Champaign-Urbana.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:38 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,538,508 times
The Metro East is kinda at a disadvantage here. There's not one city in the region that anchors the whole thing, and instead you're left with a hodgepodge of old formerly industrial towns, farm towns, and suburbia all cutoff from the city that anchors the whole thing, St. Louis.

That being said, if the poll was still open, I'd vote for the Metro East.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:13 AM

The US Census Bureau falsely identifies some areas, while it totally ignores others for Bureau convenience. How it identifies an area reflects the type of federal and state aid a specific area receives.

Rural America is a hodgepodge of crops, community, hunting, fishing, industry, boarded up buildings, wealth and poverty. And is isolated, one from the other. It is criss-crossed by miles of fence, hills, railroad tracks, groves of trees, forests large and small, dusty unmarked farm roads, and it stretches for thousands of miles.

Trying to merge East St. Louis Illinois and six other Illinois counties with one Missouri city is silly. The City of St. Louis is NOT that large, and it is NOT in Illinois.; .

Metro is a Bureau word used to define an area of many with one dominate city. The Bureau does the same thing to the Quad Cities. The population of the counties in Illinois in the area around SL is nearly the same as the City of St. Louis.

It will take decades, if ever, of work to pull E.S.L. out of the mess it created. From my perch it seems like Edwardsville and Collinsville have the most to offer their residents. The Bureau falsely identifies MSA, too.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:39 AM

4,621 posts, read 6,159,692 times
Quote:
Metro is a Bureau word used to define an area of many with one dominate city. The Bureau does the same thing to the Quad Cities. The population of the counties in Illinois in the area around SL is nearly the same as the City of St. Louis.
Not really...the city of St. Louis is only some 318,000 people whereas the Metro East is some 700,000 residents and includes the following counties:

Clinton
Jersey
Madison
Monroe
St. Clair
Bond
Calhoun
Macoupin
Washington

It is the second-largest urban area in Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois