Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite "downstate" Illinois community?
Rockford 0 0%
Quad Cities 0 0%
Peoria 6 24.00%
Springfield 3 12.00%
Champaign/Urbana 11 44.00%
Decatur 1 4.00%
Bloomington/Normal 3 12.00%
MetroEast 4 16.00%
Carbondale 4 16.00%
Other (specify) 1 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:54 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,338,136 times

Advertisements

I feel like there isn't a lot of positive spin regarding "downstate" Illinois; almost everything you ever read about is Chicagoland and the surrounding area (which is the major population center of the state). But I am just curious:

What is everyone's favorite "downstate" city? Why? I've made a poll for the largest "downstate" communities (I included Rockford...you can argue whether or not it ostensibly belongs as part of "downstate"). Let's hear what you think. Options include:

Rockford
Quad Cities
Peoria
Springfield
Champaign/Urbana
Decatur
Bloomington/Normal
MetroEast
Carbondale
Other (Specify)

Last edited by linicx; 06-27-2012 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 PM

My favorite is biased, but my family is mostly located in Springfield, and I grew up there, so I've learned to like it. I enjoy all of the Lincoln-era based history in the area, and I think the downtown has improved quite a lot over the years with the parks, the new museum and library, and the push for unique and local shops, businesses and restaurants along the 5th and 6th street corridors.

My second pick is Peoria simply for the unique and beautiful setting on the Illinois river. I really like the drive into downtown on I-74, especially at night with the bridges lit up.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,099,703 times
There is too much downstate to like just one community or just one area. I like large living bodies of water and some of the communities that share the shorelines. Quincy, Louisiana, Hannibal, Lacon, Chillicothe, Mossville, Peoria, Bay View Gardens; Banner, Lewistown, Browning; Cairo.

Why? Natural resources, topography, convenience to services, recreation, historical significance, educational value, other offerings nearby, but mostly because I like to follow the course of a river as long as I can. .For instance I can follow the Illinois River south through parts of six counties to the Sanganois River on the West side of the Illinois River and even farther south on the east side of river. I pass state parks, a wildlife refuge, a state archeological dig, and an area where the Mound Dwellers lived.

Last edited by linicx; 06-26-2012 at 10:09 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
There is too much downstate to like just one community or just one area. I like large living bodies of water and some of the communities that share the shorelines. Quincy, Louisiana, Hannibal, Lacon, Chillicothe, Mossville, Peoria, Bay View Gardens; Banner, Lewistown, Browning; Cairo.

Why? Natural resources, topography, convenience to services, recreation, historical significance, educational value, other offerings nearby, but mostly because I like to follow the course of a river as long as I can. .For instance I can follow the Illinois River south through parts of six counties to the Sanganois River on the West side of the Illinois River and even farther south on the east side of river. I pass state parks, a wildlife refuge, a state archeological dig, and an area where the Mound Dwellers lived.
But if you had to choose just one or two communities, you don't have a particular one that you'd choose?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:45 AM

Each area has something compelling for me that may not be compelling for you. If I had to pick an area in which to live, work, play and raise a family I am biased toward Peoria.
.. Diversity in culture, history, religion and race.
.. Green, open space, natural beauty, Mississippi Flyway, sweeping views of the Illinois River Valley.
.. Hospitals, children's hospital, medical school, nursing schools.
.. University, community college, trade schools,
.. Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance, Art Fair, expanded civic center.
.. Large variety of shopping and grocery options.
.. Diverse housing stock.
.. Green parks, amphitheater, botanical garden, zoo, Wildlife park.
.. Semi-pro ball, high school and college sports, golf bowling, races (water and land), TT National Finals.
.. Upscale shopping, dining, entertainment, kids dining and entertainment.
.. Social Clubs, Yacht club, country clubs, skeet club, sport clubs.
.. National parades, regional state fair, car show, cook-off.
.. Historic trolley tours, planetarium, museums, Kennel Club, renaissance faire.
.. Regional medical, business, technology, service hub; job opportunities.
-- Port city with rail, air, land and water transportation for business.
.. Family area we love kids. Summer art camp for kids, fountains to play in, river cruises.
.. Montessori, Gifted, Autistic, Special Ed, pubic, private and religious schools.
.. Too many popular annual events to list.
.. It is near enough to other communities that is not time or cost prohibitive to visit.
.. Midway between St. Louis and Chicago.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:03 AM

I guess one thing I forgot to add was statistical information on the various regions:

Region City Pop (2010) / MSA Pop (2011 Est.) / CSA Pop (2011 Est.)
Rockford 152,871 / 346,360 / 447,038
Quad Cities 105,961 (Moline, E. Moline and Rock Island) / 381,342 (IL & IA) / NA
Peoria 115,007 / 379,576 / 416,538
Springfield 116,250 / 211,547 / NA
Champaign/Urbana 122,305 (Champaign and Urbana) / 232,336 / NA
Decatur 76,122 / 110,730 / NA
Bloomington/Normal 129,107 (Bloomington and Normal) / 170,556 / NA
MetroEast 44,478 (Belleville) / 703,358 / 2,882,932 (MO & IL)
Carbondale 25,902 / 60,365 / 126,575

Some interesting things to note:

The largest cities proper are those of Rockford and Springfield, although it is clear if you combined Bloomington and Normal or Champaign and Urbana, those new "cities" would be larger.

The MetroEast is far and away the largest MSA in Illinois outside of the Chicago area. Peoria and the Rockford are the next largest, since a large portion of the Quad Cities MSA resides in IA. The MetroEast has also grown large enough now to encompass Macoupin county, or the county just south of Sangamon (where Springfield is located).

The 2011 estimates have Springfield (+0.66%) and Bloomington/Normal (+0.58%) MSAs growing the fastest since 2010. Both the Rockford and Decatur MSAs have shrunk since 2010, according to 2011 estimates. The Decatur MSA has now shrunk so much that it is smaller than Bloomington/Normal, Ottawa/Streater (micropolitan area), Paducah (KY/IL micropolitan area), and Cape Girardeau-Jackson (MO/IL micropolitan area).

Central Illinois has the largest population outside of the Chicagoland area, with five MSAs in excess of 100,000 people (Peoria, C/U, Springfield, B/N and Decatur). The combined MSA population of the area is 1,104,745 (2011 Est.) with a CSA population of 1,141,707 (2011 Est.). Note that this population is likely higher, since it doesn't include micropolitan areas such as Jacksonville, Lincoln, Clinton etc.

Sources:

Illinois census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Central Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.census.gov/popest/data/me...EST2011-01.csv

Old 06-27-2012, 09:07 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,188,164 times
I do not consider Rockford or Quad Cities "downstate"
My favorites are Carbondale, Springfield and Effingham.
If I considered Quad Cities "downstate" they would get a vote, primarily for the Iowa side, which I find nicer than the IL side.
Opinions based on surroundings, such as trees, topography.
Livability as far as restaurants, parks, neighborhoods.
Vibe I feel when I am there
Could I see myself living there. Now that doesn't mean I don't like the other towns; just the one's I currently have more of an affinity for.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I do not consider Rockford or Quad Cities "downstate"
My favorites are Carbondale, Springfield and Effingham.
If I considered Quad Cities "downstate" they would get a vote, primarily for the Iowa side, which I find nicer than the IL side.
Opinions based on surroundings, such as trees, topography.
Livability as far as restaurants, parks, neighborhoods.
Vibe I feel when I am there
Could I see myself living there. Now that doesn't mean I don't like the other towns; just the one's I currently have more of an affinity for.
Yeah, downstate can be hard to define. I've encountered some people that basically say "anything outside of the Chicago area is downstate" even if this definition includes locations effectively North of Chicago in latitude. Others say "anything south of I-80" is downstate. This definition wouldn't include Rockford or the Quad Cities, but I feel they have a more common culture with the rest of "downstate" Illinois than Chicago (notwithstanding any sports allegiances).

Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 AM

I don't consider Rockford downstate because it is much closer to becoming a part of the Chicago statistical area than it is a downstate statistic. Moline, Rock Island and a third community form the Illinois side of the place called Quad Cities. It is much closer to Wisconsin than any community downstate.

To the best of my knowledge downstate seems to begin south of the Kankakee County that is included in the
all-inclusive Chicago MSA. In the Peoria area downstate would begin at the northernmost boundaries of Marshall and Stark Counties.

I have a real problem with what the US Bureau of Labor Statistics arbitrarily decides anyway. Take Chicago for instance. The people who live in the county and state included in the Chicago mMSA has a relationship with the city. Not so downstate. It is entirely willie-nilly. What do you do with an orphan county that is 95% farming with very few small communities that are never polled? Logically it should be in a neighbor county MSA. That's way too easy for DC. These counties are attached to mSAs 100-200 miles apart with no common thread or road between them. I have very little use for statistics not generated in Illinois.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:37 PM

Nobody is feeling the love for Blo-No??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois