Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 02:31 PM

8 posts, read 36,547 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I am from Georgetown, IL. Not far from Champaign. To make a long story short I live in Salt Lake City and after my job ends I will have about a year of downtime before my next job starts. I was thinking of moving to the area for one year. I remember growing up in Georgetown, I was really excited to go to Champaign for the shopping. After being exposed to Salt Lake, Champaign is kind of 'meh' for me now lol. I haven't been to Champaign for close to three years. I was wondering what it is like there now. I am 27, single, no kids so school systems and things like that aren't of importance in my particular situation. The things I like about Salt Lake are: theatre opportunities (acting and viewing), the awesome megaplex movie theaters, silent movies, shopping, dance clubs that have theme parties (like masquerade night), cool little restaraunts, entertainment options (like a huge place where I can ride bumper boats, play arcade games and act like a litte kid) and the city parks are very nice. I know Champaign can't compare to Salt Lake but my family is nearby so it's worth the change for one year. So my question is this - with the given information is there anything in C-U that would suit my needs? Thanks so much for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 03:33 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I think if you value time with your family it really doesn't matter what Champaign can or cannot offer. Conversely if you are thinking of moving back permanently it may matter a great deal.

Imho, it is the highways that makes living in Illinois convenient. Driving time aside, it is very easy today to drive to St. Louis, Chicago, Springfield, B-N and Peoria from Champaign on Interstate routes. I remember when it was nothing but 2-lane roads that dotted the countryside.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:44 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times
What Champaign/Urbana was like last time you were here (less than 3 years ago you said) is pretty much the way it is now. There have been no recent major disruptive events that would significantly change the character or quality of life. Entertainment options will likely be less plentiful given that the Salt Lake metro area is about 4-5 times the size of the CU metro area. But if you're persistent, you'll find enough to keep you amused for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois