U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:23 PM

4 posts, read 28,198 times

Advertisements

I read some others posts about peoria living that were similar to my situation but they were a little older and I know places can change quick so I created a new post.

I am a single female who may be getting a job in Peoria (Methodist Medical Center). I have lived in Illinois all my life but do not know the Peoria Area at all. This would be my first place/apartment living oustide of my parents house and im new to the whole renting thing.

I just mainly want a safe area and I would prefer more quiet place since i'm more of a homebody but any good safe area suggestions would be good even if it is more into the action of the city.
Since I know Illinois Weather (snow and ice can be bad) I would also like a place with accessibility to a garage or covered parking at the very least a good parking lot. I dont want anything where I would have to park on the street.
I'm okay driving a little 10 miles if I have to to get a good and safe area.
I need at least a one bedroom for sure but I think a 2 bedroom would also be good (not sure if I would be able to afford right away but would have to see)

I am thinking my budget would be around $700-750 or less but may be able to afford around $800 something. I just need some ideas and advice.

If anyone could include the ACTUAL NAMES of apartments/rentals to look into would be good since I dont know the area I don't know when your talking about certain sides of the city or certain streets.

I have heard of Prairie Lakes Apartments does anyone have information on if this is a good place?

Last edited by gbfan12; 08-05-2012 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: forgot info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 07:24 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,985,320 times
The simple solution is the Twin Towers which does offer covered parking. It is about 10 blocks or less from from the hospital. Methodist is 2-3 blocks down the street from OSF hospital which employes 5,000 + across the general area. It also has the children's hospital, hospice and some other interests. Proctor Hospital serves North Peoria. There are 4 hospitals, a medical school and two nursing schools in Peoria and a fair size medical community. Peoria has a zillion apt complexes. Getting you closer to work is better.

What kind of things do you like to do in your spare time? Have you ever been to Peoria? Would you consider a short lease studio for say 6 months while you learn your way around Peoria? .

Old 08-05-2012, 08:02 PM

In my spare time I like listening to music, I like shopping (more just looking rather than buying), shows that you can go to (like comedy ones), movies, i also like cooking/baking. I am not really a drinker and im not into the bar scene at all. I don't believe I have ever been to peoria but I will be visiting this coming week for an interview, so maybe I will be able to check out the area more. Do you have a few more suggestions of places I should look to when I visit next week? I may consider a short lease if that helps to learn the area more.

I will have a car so I don't mind driving some so I will be in a safe area.

Thanks for your advice

Old 08-06-2012, 12:14 AM

If you will tell me the general area you will be coming from -- such as Decatur, Springfield, Quincy, Chicago - I can give you better directions. I do not need to know the exact name of your town.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:02 AM

I am coming from a smaller town near Rockford, IL

Old 08-06-2012, 02:14 AM

I will not direct you through bad parts of town if I can avoid it.

I want to start by explaining two things. There are 7 streets downtown that are NE to SW: Water, Washington, Adams, Madison, Monroe, and Perry. The 99% of the balance of the streets in Peoria are N,E, S,& W. Do not live on streets called numbers such as First Street. Do not live on streets named states such as Wisconsin or Missouri. Avoid them unless you are traveling during the day 10-3 and there is a specific reason. There is only street that runs through the county from end to end, and through the City of Peoria.

SW Adams Street shares a border with the Village of Bartonville. The runs NE to the City of Peoria. It changes to a ONE-WAY street through the city to about Abington where it becomes a Two-Way Street , becomes Galena Road, passes through the Village of Peoria Heights and changes to IL State Route 29. It merges with IL 26 and ends at Interstate 80. The other ONE-WAy street from NE to SW is Jefferson

Within Peoria/Peoria County there are 7 or 8 steep hills beginning at Forest Park Drive in Peoria Heights on Galena Road at the stop light is (The Forest Park Apts are here), the first hill: Forest Park Drive. Moving SW the next is Grandview Drive it is before the McCluggage Bridge. You will no see it for the high concrete retaining wall. As you follow Adams Street it Splits. SW bound traffic move to Jefferson Street SW. The next hill is near the split; It is Abington. The next hill is MAIN STREET. This street is important. It begins at the Riverfront Plaza passes through downtown Peoria, past the ENTRANCE to Methodist hospital, and continues up the hill. The street truns left and passes UNIVERSITY - another important street - , FARMINGTON Road (2 hills) and joins WESTERN AVENUE. This is a street with a steep grade in not-so-good area.

I forgot Spring Street Hill which is at a stop light on Jefferson between Abington and Main Street. Forest Park, Abington, and Spring Streets are short cuts to PEORIA HEIGHTS and PROSPECT Avenue - another important street.

All of the hills in Peoria are straight except Forest Park and Grandview. They both have sharp curves. Very often Forest Park is closed in the winter.

If your turn Right onto Farmington road you will pass Park Road, a hill and entrance to Bradley Park and the summer theater in the round. Park ends at Nebraska Street. The next hill is STERLING Avenue - also important. The major Shopping in Peoria is between Sterling and Sheridan, both N/S streets and Forest Hill and Glen (E/W) streets. There is a mall, 7 shopping centers, 7 grocery stores, 2 book stores, 3-4 bowling alleys, Walgreen's pharmacy, 2 banks, a credit union, a dry cleaner, a computer store, a theatre and a movie complex, plus a half dozen dept stores like Old Navy, and a dozen restaurants in a 2-3 square mile area. There are two other large shopping areas in Peoria plus boutique stores in Peoria Heights.

If you go up Main Street Hill (right turn off Jefferson) and to to University and take another right turn you will drive into the first shopping area. PEORIA IS NOT A GRID city. AT university and Forest Hill Sterling is to your left about 4 blocks. and Sheridan is one block to your right. You will cross War Memorial Drive. It also US 150. It enters at the river on Adams street and bypasses Grand Shoppes of the Prairie and 3 other shopping centers.

There are 5 bridges in Peoria. They all touch Adams Street. The Village of Peoria Heights is a good place to live. So is N or War Memorial (E/W) At university and War Memorial, if you turn left and stay in the curb lane a couple of blocks you will see a large apt complex on your right.

You cannot avoid hills because Peoria is built on a bluff/cliff that overlooks the Illinois River.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:00 AM

If you live N of War Memorial there there are two ways to get to hospital - if they haven't changed the route
1- University to Main; turn Left. 2- I-74 to Knoxville to Main. Turn Right.

Getting to Peoria. Figure 4 hours travel time. Where are you staying in Peoria?

Rockford to I-80. Turn R and follow I-80 to Princeton. Once you leave here you won't much of a chance to get gas for an hour. Turn South on 180 (not I-80) maybe 10 miles or so to IL 29 South to Peoria. There is a little jog when you come to IL-29. It's 2-lane, slower and scenic. When you come out of the hills start looking to your LEFT for the IL River valley. You will pass through Chillicothe and Mossville, before you come to Forest Park Drive in Peoria Heights. The apt complex is on your Right at the light. This is the first and athe worst of the hills in Peoria. Check out the complex. Continue SW into Peoria. When the road splits stay in the curb lane to Main Street. The Courthouse and River are on your left. Turn Right onto Main and the hospital entrance. Once you are finished with meetings, turn right onto Main and follow it to University and turn right again.

When you are in Chillicothe, if you get a chance and have the time do investigate Old Rome Road. It is lovely area and you may find a place to rent. It is probably nor more than 10 miles and connect the street in Chilli to IL 29. From Chillicothe you are 1 or 2 blocks East of IL 29. You cannot get lost.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:55 AM

Thanks so much for the information.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:21 PM

9 posts, read 25,050 times
(Planning to copy/paste this to other threads about apartments in Peoria so sorry if it seems impersonal )

I recently moved to Peoria (July) and spent some time in May and June researching and scouring for the right apartment. I wanted something on the north side since it was closer to work, so I didn't even look at apartments downtown or on the other side of the river.

I thought I'd want something with extra square footage but I ended up picking one that was among the smallest that I was looking at. So I got a 650 sq ft, but it's a very functional 650 and seems much more desirable than some of the 700-800s that I looked at. So it's not all about the sq ft.

I'm also kind of picky and wanted something newer, well kept, more the kind of place where you'd be apt to find mid-career people and not partying or anything sketchy.

Also learned that rentals in Peoria are in pretty high demand (at least they sure were for people moving in over the summer) and that if you find something you like and it's an acceptable price for you, you better take it while you have the chance.

The properties Timberlane and Prairie Lakes are very large complexes owned by the same property group that are very reasonably priced and quite nice. They would have been my top choices but both had similarly long waiting lists of 2+ months, depending on what type of unit you wanted (1br had the shortest waits).

If you have a family or want something more like a townhome, Willows of Peoria was another place I really liked. It was the only rental with an attached garage and very reasonably priced for what you got.

I liked Knoxville Pointe buildings but the price was much higher for what you got than other places.

Brighton Woods if they have any openings seems to be what I'd call a bargain in the far north part of Peoria. No extras and looks a little more aged, but seems to be a good value and well maintained.

I settled on Prairie Vista and have been quite pleased so far. Very functional kitchen, nice, new apartments. It's in the NW part of Peoria where it seems many/most of the new and affluent homes are. Makes for nice running and biking, and feels very safe. Main disadvantage is anything near downtown/Bradley is about 15-20 min away.

I'm attaching a link to the spreadsheet I created as well as a map of some of the different apartments I visited. This is where you'll find the most valuable comparisons/information. I've put the ones I would be happy to live at in bold (though some were too expensive).

Feel free to ask me more about any of them. My estimates for annual costs have a number of assumptions so trust them at your own discretion!

Spreadsheet

Apartment Map

Old 09-28-2012, 07:36 PM

219 posts, read 364,749 times
It's Peoria.. nothing is really safe or nice.. I would look into East Peoria, Pekin or Peoria Heights area..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois